Newbie brake advice - '92 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie brake advice - '92

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
rynlau
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Newbie brake advice - '92

Hey everyone, I have been searching the forum for the past couple hours but I think I am just overwhelming and confusing myself at this point. I hope a few of you won't mind giving a newbie some advice.

I need to service the brakes on my '92 - I am thinking it may be a good time to go ahead and convert the rear brakes from drum to disk if I can do it relatively cheap (under $300).

I am reading all this stuff about replacing the brake cylinder with one from a '95, or pulling the brakes out of a Cherokee... seems like there's lots of options and routes to take. Wow!

What I need is the easiest option for a newbie. I have never worked with drum brakes before, and I have very little outside help. I need a strait forward route to take - any links to other people's write ups or directions would be very appreciated.

Also, my local u-pull it has a waiting list for most Jeeps... so any plan involving getting something out of another Jeep probably won't work for me However, I do have access to a machine shop.

rynlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It is usually not advised that you put any unnecessary money into the D35 rear end, this includes disc brake conversion. My 88 YJ stops just fine with the stock brakes and 33x12.50 tires, so there is really no need to upgrade your stuff unless you are just bored and looking for something to do.

For the drum brakes, you will need new shoes, a rebuild kit (box of springs), and possibly new drums. They suck and took me 5x longer then the disc brakes but it was the first time I have ever messed with drum brakes.

On the bottom of the back side of the drum is either a hole or rubber plug, in side of that hole you will see a toothed wheel, this is how you adjust the shoes. You will need to back this off to get the drum off. From there just take stuff apart and put it back together how you took it apart. It helps to only do one side at a time so you can see how it goes back together. Not to scare you but if a spring comes loose in both rear drums you breaks absolutely suck and it takes about 10x longer then it should to stop, I am speaking from experience, so make sure you get them put back together right.

Here is a write up.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/drum-brakes.html
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
rynlau
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Oh okay, that makes sense. Actually it's kind of a relief that I won't be wasting an opportunity by just going ahead and replacing the drum brakes. Thanks for the reply and link!
rynlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Only take apart one side at a time. You will need the reference to put it back together correctly.

And safety glasses, those springs are under a lot of tension.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Only take apart one side at a time. You will need the reference to put it back together correctly.

And safety glasses, those springs are under a lot of tension.
Good advise. Anyone that has done drum brakes one time will know this.

When finished adjust the brakes until they rub when turning the tires. Or you brakes will not feel l right. They need the initial adjustment.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go to your local parts store and see if they have a drum brake installation tool. Looks like a giant set of channel locks, but with goofy ends. It helps a lot when putting the new springs on.
rogerv is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.