newb ? Tires-10.5 or 12.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > newb ? Tires-10.5 or 12.5

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Backcountryasm
1995 YJ Wrangler 

newb ? Tires-10.5 or 12.5

New to all of this but my ? I am just about to finish an RC 4" lift on a 95 YJ Rio Grande. I am going with a 15 x 8 wheel and will couple this with a 33" GY All Terrain KO. I want to know what I need to know about advantages or disadvantages with choosing a 10.5 or 12.5. I have been reading the forums and have gleaned a lot of information. The rig will mostly be a street weekend rig with trips to hunting lease and occasional wheeling (no rock crawling) I was considering the mud terrains but have backed off from that as I will be driving this on the roads and would like to retain a good ride, mileage and wear.

Backcountryasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

12.5s look great but they hang out of the stock flares so what are the laws about that where you live and is there a state inspection??? Alabama was pretty laid back a few years ago so I would guess it hasn't changed. I went 4" and 33X12.50s and have no issues. So if it is at least possible go for it the look is great.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

More tire surface area is also contacting the ground (especially when aired down) so you'll have a little more traction but then the cons are a higher moment of inertia so its gunna be a little more stressful on your brakes and the width may cause some premature wear on your steering components if they're stock.
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run both.

I have some 35 12.50's that I run on the street and light rocks

And I have some 36 10.50's that are used for hardcore rocks and mud

Unread 04-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed most rock guys like to run a narrow tire. What's the reasoning behind this?

As someone who mainly runs in mud, I try get as wide as I can to where I can still turn the wheel
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rock guys run both. The most popular tire I run into is a swamper irok 36 1350. I prefer my narrow tires because I can pick a line and have more room to turn midway without blowing my steering box. They also just look meaner.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Makes sense. I could see the pro's and cons of each for rocks. Finesse vs. brute strength and traction. I guess that's what it all really comes down to for a lot of rock and trail applications. Its not uncommon to see guys down here running tractor tires on their rig and I personally like a big ol fatty stickin out of the wheel well that leaves a tank track in the mud
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
Anticanman

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Floatation vs digging deep to the solid stuff. They each have their place in the same bog.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Indeed. Although I've seen many a jeep with a skinny tire dig until they've bottomed out. Pulling those guys out is fun... The dig approach does work well for the guys with tall rigs but most of the daily driver guys gotta keep a low cog and would rather have paddles instead of wheels. That or we were just forced to love the 4 bangers bc there are a TON of those down here. Its like they knew where the flat ground was and naturally migrated....
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentYJ View Post
Indeed. Although I've seen many a jeep with a skinny tire dig until they've bottomed out. Pulling those guys out is fun... The dig approach does work well for the guys with tall rigs but most of the daily driver guys gotta keep a low cog and would rather have paddles instead of wheels. That or we were just forced to love the 4 bangers bc there are a TON of those down here. Its like they knew where the flat ground was and naturally migrated....
lol mine should have kept going south, damn gutless mudslut she is.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.