Newb: Thought I bought an S, it might be a Rio Grande. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newb: Thought I bought an S, it might be a Rio Grande.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
dan-E
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Newb: Thought I bought an S, it might be a Rio Grande.

I bought my beautiful new '95 about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. At first I thought it might be the base "S" model - 2.5L, 5-speed, 5-spoke steel wheels - that the previous owner optioned out - a/c, cloth seats, tilt wheel (didn't know that was an option.

It wasn't until recently that I'm wondering if I lucked out and got the Rio Grande Edition instead. Before you write the "you didn't see the big Rio Grande stickers, genius?" remarks, they weren't there. The color is "Champagne Gold" (I just called it "light tan"), which I read somewhere is exclusive to the Rio? My cloth seats have the Southwestern pattern, my steering has leather covered spokes, whereas every other Wrangler I drove had bare metal spokes.

It has the plain steel wheels and I was under the impression, from what little I knew anyway, that the Rio Grande came with the 5-spoke alloy wheels.

Whatever, either way, I'm loving life with my first Wrangler.

dan-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it.... http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....er#Trim_Levels
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the Wrangler, sounds like you did good!
Not sure about the options, lots of guys just pull the stickers off out of the dealer.
I can say that mine is similar and its a stout work-horse. Seems like you got a good one.
Oh and welcome to Jeep Forum, you found one of the best places!

EDIT mine is plain everywhere but alloy rims, just to confuse you even more.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mines is actually an S but when I got it registered and insured it comes up as a Rio Grande.
attentionwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-E View Post
I bought my beautiful new '95 about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. At first I thought it might be the base "S" model - 2.5L, 5-speed, 5-spoke steel wheels - that the previous owner optioned out - a/c, cloth seats, tilt wheel (didn't know that was an option.

It wasn't until recently that I'm wondering if I lucked out and got the Rio Grande Edition instead. Before you write the "you didn't see the big Rio Grande stickers, genius?" remarks, they weren't there. The color is "Champagne Gold" (I just called it "light tan"), which I read somewhere is exclusive to the Rio? My cloth seats have the Southwestern pattern, my steering has leather covered spokes, whereas every other Wrangler I drove had bare metal spokes.

It has the plain steel wheels and I was under the impression, from what little I knew anyway, that the Rio Grande came with the 5-spoke alloy wheels.

Whatever, either way, I'm loving life with my first Wrangler.

To know for sure exactly what you have, contact Jeep and ask for a "Build Sheet" in the comment section of the link below (Click on "I need Customer Assistance", and then click on "send us an e-mail"). Within a few days they will e-mail you a build sheet detailing exactly what your Jeep came with from the factory and what model it is.
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp

'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i am going to try that build sheet deal for hte 5th time, i believe it is. i keep hoping they will send me one.

sahara models came in that light tan also, i believe its called khaki?
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
i am going to try that build sheet deal for hte 5th time, i believe it is. i keep hoping they will send me one.
That's strange. I got mine the day after I requested it.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19OlllllllO41 View Post
To know for sure exactly what you have, contact Jeep and ask for a "Build Sheet" in the comment section of the link below (Click on "I need Customer Assistance", and then click on "send us an e-mail"). Within a few days they will e-mail you a build sheet detailing exactly what you Jeep came with from the factory and what model it is.
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp

that's awesome! thank you for that!

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

jeep told me my jeep is too old for them to keep the build sheet. i keep hoping if i keep emailing them that they will get off their butt and dig it out of the pre-electronic build sheet boxes
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
jeep told me my jeep is too old for them to keep the build sheet. i keep hoping if i keep emailing them that they will get off their butt and dig it out of the pre-electronic build sheet boxes
Interesting.... I have gotten one for my old 92 YJ and my current 93 YJ with no issues.... can't believe they don't at least go back to 87 with the beginning of the YJ.
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Interesting.... I have gotten one for my old 92 YJ and my current 93 YJ with no issues.... can't believe they don't at least go back to 87 with the beginning of the YJ.
I'm not sure about this for a fact, but I bet it depends on your local dealer and how good do you get along with them. I do wish that it was the same everywhere. My local dealer is basically useless for anything that they don't have on the lot. Which that makes business sense but it tends to piss off the owners and enthusiasts. So therefore I tend to go to NAPA and Autozone.

I suspect that MOPAR needs to do a better job of harmonizing their dealership support so that its the same across the board, and also they need to consolidate it a bunch.

FWIW my local dealer is like 2nd generation family guy and its in the process of being sold while he retires.
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
I'm not sure about this for a fact, but I bet it depends on your local dealer and how good do you get along with them. I do wish that it was the same everywhere. My local dealer is basically useless for anything that they don't have on the lot. Which that makes business sense but it tends to piss off the owners and enthusiasts. So therefore I tend to go to NAPA and Autozone.

I suspect that MOPAR needs to do a better job of harmonizing their dealership support so that its the same across the board, and also they need to consolidate it a bunch.

FWIW my local dealer is like 2nd generation family guy and its in the process of being sold while he retires.
I agree with you 100%, BUT in the case of these build sheets, it has nothing to do with the dealer. It is a request you send directly to Jeep headquarters and they simply look up your VIN and reply to you with the info. No local dealers are involved doing it this way. Although if you have a good local dealer like you say, they can run your VIN and give you build sheet info as well.
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, BUT in the case of these build sheets, it has nothing to do with the dealer. It is a request you send directly to Jeep headquarters and they simply look up your VIN and reply to you with the info. No local dealers are involved doing it this way. Although if you have a good local dealer like you say, they can run your VIN and give you build sheet info as well.
yeah I would go with that but my dealer gave me a prob about the fuel pump. Nothing came up on their VIN. The local NAPA guy 2 blocks away actually found it after a few days of head-scratching and returns. Otherwise i do rec the MOPAR VIN check.
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
icenikka
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is the best that I could do, sorry.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
icenikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I already knew mine is Canadian. I am wanting it just to verify mine is original ( other then the motor)

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.