Newb question about power steering flush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newb question about power steering flush

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Newb question about power steering flush

Never done it before so hopefully won't piss anyone off for asking this

So was searching around and the instructions are to unhook the low pressure hose put in bucket and try to keep the reservoir full while engine is running till clean comes out. What wasn't clear was which one is the low pressure hose and how much fluid i actually need? Is the low pressure the small hose on the pic? Looks like a return hose..

atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can tell the low pressure line because it is clamped. Meaning the high pressure line has fittings on the end that require a wrench. Low side has hose clamps. Check and see

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So here's the layout:

From the bottle the larger hose (clamped) goes into the steering pump via a short metal pipe sticking out of the pump with a fitting, to the end of which the other end of the large hose is clamped to, from there it goes through the pressure sending unit and into the steering box, that piece definitely isn't clamped almost looks like a complete assembly which I don't think it can come apart (must be the high pressure line. Leaving the steering box is another metal pipe with a fitting, which has the lower end of the smaller hose in the pic attached to it with a clamp.

So I have two hoses with clamps, the smaller seems to be the return hose, which I believe should be unhooked from the bottle, and seems like the bottle should be plugged there to allow for refilling of the liquid while the i run the engine.

Does that make sense or am I misunderstanding something? :-)
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you've got it. You'll also want to slowly steer from lock to lock while flushing in order to clear the old fluid.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

on a remote reservoir system like that, it should be at the back of the pump, not on the reservoir
in that pic, BOTH should be low pressure...

from the pump, you have the manufactured O-ring fitting come out of the pump and down to the steering box (that's the pressure line)... return line from the box goes into the reservoir, then from the reservoir goes to the return (inlet) of the pump

That's how mine is set up... then again, it's Jeep.... could be anything LOL
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes seems like they are both low pressure. One to take into the pump and one to return from the box. Seems like i need to unhook the low pressure return line and cap off the bottle so i can put more fluid while flushing. Btw just watched a vid of this done on a ford and they weren't running the engine, just going side to side.

Anyone know how much fluid i need for this fiasco? I guess i just need the capacity... Someone on the forum i read was saying 2 qt plus 2 to flush but that sounds like a lot... More like 2 pt maybe?
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've never done a complete flush myself so I couldn't hel you there...
about once a year I just drain the reservoir and refill with new. I figure whatever is still in the pump, lines and box is little enough and it'll mix in. Anyway, how many people even do THAT much... most people will just top off when they see it's low (if they even check it )
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think i have been one of those in the last group u described lol

I am not aware of this fluid changing in the past 12-13 years i had the jeep. Maybe PO did but unlikely. But since i am turning a new page and all lol i figure i wanna start clean

I think the guy @ stealer said they come 1 pt @ $7 a pop so i will get 4 and give it a try. I just don't see how it can hold that much like u said but i'll get it just in case, return the rest later or keep it for spare.
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There's always someone who will disagree, but FWIW, my whole family (all the guys are gear-heads to some degree) have always used ATF in the power steering system with no adverse effects ever. It's basically a light hydraulic fluid.

and it's MUCH cheaper
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You know i read about that maybe here or some of the other jeep sites..

Someone got foaming, someone was talking about long term effects and i kind of got a little iffy on that. I do have some leftover atf from the tc flush... just didn't wanna create an adventure for myself out of the whole thing lol
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help guys. Ended up getting some steering fluid from autozone after speaking with a cool dude @ stealership. Flush went well and not a big difference but at least dumped that brown stuff that came out which was way overdue.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.