Newb in need of help for future purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newb in need of help for future purchase

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Parcala

Newb in need of help for future purchase

Ok, I am currently in the Delayed Entry Program for the Navy and have the intent to use my enlistment bonus plus maybe a couple months pay to purchase a Jeep Wrangler YJ.

My only experience with vehicles to this point has been a 96 Olds Cierra, it needed a decent bit of work done and I enjoyed fixing it. That being said jeeps are noticably more expensive than my car and I don't want to spend 5,000 or so buying a jeep that isn't worth it.

I want to be able to offroad, and go out on the mountain trails, in both Georgia and Arizona. If it could get me from Georgia to Arizona that would be a plus.

With all this in mind which year jeep should I look for, does that matter much? What things should I look at when I buy the jeep, what things should be deal breakers? What additions should I get so it can meet what I want?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Parcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are in Arizona and as long as the Jeep is originally from Arizona you shouldn't have to worry about the rust issues. Jeeps are #1 in retaining value so they are more expensive but they are well worth it. You want a 94-95 because of several reasons. The 95 4.0L is prefered. Rust proofing is better. Bigger Ujoints. The brake booster is bigger giving you more stopping power. The 2.5L is a little small and some people find the 2.5 a dog when driving.

DEP, any idea what your MOS is going to be? X-navy myself.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Parcala

Yea I'm in for Nuke, they won't tell me MM EM or ET till basic. My rate is actually one of the few that still gets enlistment bonuses and it's 11,000 so I should have a decent amount to work on the jeep with.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
WesleySelman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have access to a trailer? If not, the TJ might actually be a better option for you. The YJ is fine as a DD, but, in all honesty a long road trip would not be fun.. Especially if you are planning on doing any offroad mods. The TJ's have a nicer interior as well; less rugged. You could probably pick up a decent one, probably a 97-2000ish, if you are patient for around 5k.
WesleySelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Parcala

What specifics would help? I am entirely new to the jeep scene and am not sure what info you guys could use.

I plan on buying a trailer, but at current don't have one. What do you mean as a "DD"? I'm not worried about the interior or if it needs to be fixed, having something to fix and mod is part of why I want it.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleySelman View Post
Do you have access to a trailer? If not, the TJ might actually be a better option for you. The YJ is fine as a DD, but, in all honesty a long road trip would not be fun.. Especially if you are planning on doing any offroad mods. The TJ's have a nicer interior as well; less rugged. You could probably pick up a decent one, probably a 97-2000ish, if you are patient for around 5k.
You mean more like a car? If you want something more like a car.. dont buy a YJ. Grab a ZJ or an XJ you can do plenty with those.

Search around the forum there are plenty of threads with people asking your same question. Personally i would recommend the 4.0/4.2 over the 2.5. Then decide whether you want to deal with a carb (4.2) or go with something a tad 'easier' and go with fuel injection (4.0).

DD = daily driver
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First Welcome to the forum. Second that is a rather broad answer but I will give you my take on it. Hopefully that will help your decision.

Yes Jeeps are expensive. They are the top vehicle for holding their value over time. So you will pay a little more for one regardless of the year. BUT DO IT!!!! Owning a Jeep is like nothing else out there. I say you should look for one as close to stock as you can. You may not want to do that. But to me that's the best way to do it. You wont have all of the (PO) Previous Owners mistakes and cheap fixes to work with. Unless you know Jeeps what common issues to look for (seems like you don't, no offense) I say get one as close to stock as possible.

92-95 if possible. 95 is preferred. I believe thats when the fuel injected 4.0 HO engines were put in them? Fuel injection will give you the most reliable and hassle free operation for the most part. But my carbed 4.2 isn't bad either. The 2.5L is a reputable motor as well. But not so hot on the freeway. The 2.5L will have better geared axles to make up for being underpowered.

What to look for? I say keep it stock. Or as close as possible. Find a nice clean one. You can tell if it's been abused a bit. Maybe run a compression test on it before buying. Research like crazy before you buy. That should reveal common issues to look for. Honestly your best bet it to find someone who knows Jeeps to look at them with you. First hand experience is invaluable. (If you find one in Albuquerque look me up)

What to look out for? Shotty upgrades added by the owner. A seemingly clueless owner. After researching you should be able to ask them questions. If they're clueless that's not a good sign. Unless its truly a clean jeep. Then you can get a deal. Rust. Smoke. Bad compression. Have them start it cold. No warming it up before you come to look at it. Listen and feel for anything weird while test driving. Anything mechanical. Don't worry too much about cosmetic blemishes. Unless there structural.

What upgrades should you get? I can't give you a place to start. That one is a whole other ball game. Depending on what you get.

Good luck!

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcala View Post
What specifics would help? I am entirely new to the jeep scene and am not sure what info you guys could use.

I plan on buying a trailer, but at current don't have one. What do you mean as a "DD"? I'm not worried about the interior or if it needs to be fixed, having something to fix and mod is part of why I want it.
DD= Daily driver.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleySelman View Post
I love cruising long distances in my YJ. Comfy as hell. Granted I roll on bald 31's. So the noise is low. But will just wear ear protection or something with the 35's.

Good call on being patient. I wasn't. Wish I would have been. But O well. I have my YJ now and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Unread 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly what rambo said. Look for something unmolested and close to stock. A lot of people out there who do hack jobs.

Look for rot everywhere. But generally its on the wheel wells, windshield frame, rear crossmember, frame in general, rocker panels from what i have seen on the YJ.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Parcala

Very helpful post rambo, is there a place i can go to see what a stock YJ looks like and has in it? I imagine that someone who did a bad job with an ugrade would be less likely to point out the issues to me themselves.

When i get closer to actually buying it i'll likely be using this forum to get input and see. Odds are I will be buying the jeep in georgia, it is where most of my family is and the place the jeep will be when I'm on leave. Are there any east coast specific issues I should know?

Last edited by Parcala; 03-06-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you should really try to get your jeep in arizona, rust doesn't happen out there. I worked there for a while and was amazed at the condition of the older vehicles, a 20 year old vehicle looks all most new underneath. sounds like you're planning on modding your jeep, try to start with the best body and frame you can.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
WesleySelman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
I love cruising long distances in my YJ. Comfy as hell. Granted I roll on bald 31's. So the noise is low. But will just wear ear protection or something with the 35's.

Good call on being patient. I wasn't. Wish I would have been. But O well. I have my YJ now and wouldn't trade it for the world.
haha well I enjoy driving my YJ too, but I have my open tread mudders and so that is a bit loud, the wind noise from the top, (which I actually don't have anymore since I snapped it in a roll over) was very loud; a bit hard to hold a conversation sometimes. If it is a commuter, then it seems like it would be better to go TJ IMO. YJ's are definitely better once you get off the road though.
WesleySelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rust is your worst worry. Buy it in the desert.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I concur. Desert only. Even if you have to ship back east. (uship)

I see these frame/ rust threads and am amazed what people go through fighting rust. Makes $500 for shipping a bargain.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.