Newb to Lockers...need some help with Aussie's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newb to Lockers...need some help with Aussie's

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
phillsam
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Newb to Lockers...need some help with Aussie's

Hey, so im looking at locking up my front.
Ive got a 93 yj 4banger with stock danas.

What i want to know is that if i do lock the front...this is my daily driver.
(a) does the locker effect regular on road driving when i am not in 4wd? (like does my axle keep spinning all the time now or not...

(b) will it hurt gas mileage at all when not in 4wd?

(c) I have read some about people hearing clicking while turning...is that only when you are in 4wd, or all the time? (why is that?)

Thanks in advance guys...i tried to read up on it but was getting confused.

Unread 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This has been covered a billion times. But here it goes.

The aussie in the front will be invisible on the street. Especially if you still have a vacuum disconnect on the passenger side. If you have an unbalanced or bent front driveshaft you will get vibrations because it will cause the front dshaft to spin all the time, but a driveshaft shop can fix that for you.

A 4 banger in a vehichle shaped like a brick isn't going to get any worse gas mileage.

The clicking and sometimes popping will happen when turning on the road in 2wd, its just the locker opening up and allowing the wheels to spin at different speeds. If you were in 4wd on dry road and you turned you may her popping, but it would probably be an axle shaft snapping. Never engage 4wd with a lunchbox locker unless you are in a low traction situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillsam View Post
What i want to know is that if i do lock the front...this is my daily driver.

(a) does the locker effect regular on road driving when i am not in 4wd? (like does my axle keep spinning all the time now or not...

Not for the most part. You might feel it in a fast U-turn even if in 2wd. But like what sitdwn said, do not put your jeep in 4wd on dry pavement and try to turn corners... a loud bang and some shuttering will be felt shortly after!

(b) will it hurt gas mileage at all when not in 4wd?

No.

(c) I have read some about people hearing clicking while turning...is that only when you are in 4wd, or all the time? (why is that?)

That would be in the case of a REAR lunchbox locker felt even in 2wd. Just because you are in 2wd that just means your front drive shaft is not turning. The rear notices a difference in the rotation of the 2 tires (the outside tire traveling further) thus the locker thinks you are losing traction thus engaging. If you have a 5-speed, just clutch or coast around a turn to keep it from locking.
It never hurts to ask questions. We have all been in the same place once in our lives. You will have to modify your driving when it comes to installing ANY sort of traction aid, even a limited slip. Speaking of which, what were you thinking about for the rear? I would not suggest a lunchbox locker in a D35.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
phillsam
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wasnt going to lock the rear...if i switch to the 8.8 then i might but that wont be for a long time.

It was just going to be the fornt.

SO let me try and get this straight...right now with open diffs, when i am in regular 2wd, my front d/s is NOT spinning right?
And if i install the locker, it hbe spinning all the time right?
Unread 04-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

correct sir. btw best mod i ever did with oba a close second!

1995 Wrangler 4.0 AX15 NP231 D30 & 35 4.10 gears
3" Rough Country suspension 33x12.50 Mastercraft MT

2007 JK 3.8 42RLE Auto NV241 D30 & D44 4.10 gears
richmond1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You wont ever feel the aussie but your front DS may need to be balanced due to it spinning all the time.

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
phillsam
1993 YJ Wrangler 

is their any that when you want them off, they are completely invisible and the shaft is not spinning all the time?
Unread 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillsam View Post
is their any that when you want them off, they are completely invisible and the shaft is not spinning all the time?
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah look at selectable lockers like ARB and OX

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
phillsam
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks!!! its quite a bit more for those...maybe i'll save up
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Goobersbro

unless your going to be doing a lot of driving in the snow i would suggest an auto up front such as an aussie. I love mine. As for the rear i plan on putting an ARB back there to have better on road manners

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.