New to YJ's What is this noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to YJ's What is this noise?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-12-2001, 06:41 AM   #1
HJ

New to YJ's What is this noise?

There is a double tube (Green & Black plastic each about 4mm diameter)hanging into the footwell adjacent to the heater unit which is sucking air and makes a hissing noise.
Can someone tell me what this is or where it should be attached?

Best wishes - Hwfa

Hwfa.jones@wmc.ac.uk

Unread 09-12-2001, 08:38 PM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like vacuum hoses, but there aren't any vacuum-operated accessories in the passenger area... Very odd - now I'm wondering what it could be. Anyone?
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2001, 10:17 PM   #3
JeeperBill88

There are green and black vacuum lines that go to the vacuum motor on the front axle to slide the internal collar to engage the axles when in 4WD. Check the top of the axle on the passenger side for two open vacuum ports on the round case of the vacuum motor... When you move the transfer case into 4WD, does the "4WD" light come on in the indicator panel above the steering column?
31" BFG AT KO's
JeeperBill88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2001, 03:55 AM   #4
HJ

Thanks for such speedy response - I have looked to see if the tubes connect to any obvious place, but must have missed something.I'll have another search

The 4WD light does come on when selected, although with a short, few second delay - it also stays on when de-selected for a similar period of time.

Thanks again folks
Unread 09-13-2001, 03:29 PM   #5
JeeperJay

My light does the same thing. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the vacumn motor to engage the 4WD. As far as I know that is normal. But if the light does come on, then your vacumn system should be working fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.