New to YJ's...engine temp ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to YJ's...engine temp ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
ikircher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

New to YJ's...engine temp ?

Hello all!! I will first start by sayin that I bought a 95 wrangler about 3 weeks ago and love everything about it so far! Its only the 2.5 liter but its a good start for me. I bought it on a Wednesday night and had it driving on the beach Thursday morning. I am very surprised how easy everything is to get too. I had to replace 2 exhaust/intake bolts that came out and I could stand on the front axle and work. Pretty cool. Anyway, let me stop rambling and get to my question. The PO of the jeep put in an electric fan a lower t-stat in and the engine temp never gets to 200 degrees. Right now where I live its about 85 degrees. At night when its cooler, (about 70 degrees) the temp will only just get past the 125-150ish degree mark. Obviously, its never good to let your vehicle overheat but is it possible to hurt the jeep by letting it run too cool? Sorry if thats a dumb question, I just figured I would ask.

Thanks!!

Ian

ikircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It won't cause permanent hurt that I can think of, but it won't run right either. The factory thermostat is set at 195 deg. and it usually reads about 210 on the dash gage. Worst it'll do is foul the plugs from running too rich (too much gas). I'm sure the computer will be a lot happier with the proper thermostat put in, and probably give better MPG's too. The thermostat is like any other unit, available at Autozone, etc. for 10 or 15 $.

Congrats on the new jeep!
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One drawback, at least in the summer, is that you may see a bit of a hit in fuel economy, (such as it is anyway!) , because the engine will be running at a temperature lower than the ECM expects to see when fully warmed-up, and it may richen the fuel mixture a bit to compensate. You may freeze your feet off in the winter!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^x2. to add to that, if it runs too cool, the computer will never come out of 'warm up mode' thus causing some issues. may not be major ones, but issues none the less. you're better off switching back to the factory 195* Tstat. though if over heating is a concern, you could search the web to see if theres a hi flow one out there.

happy trails!

EDIT: Biker beat me to it ha
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the engine doesnt get warm enough it will not go into closed loop on the Engine controller (ECU). That will cost you some $$ at the pump because it's not running as effeicently as it should without the O2 sensor being used to feed back the fuel level in the exhaust. Read through a few post about the thermostat housing. Its a little tricky with the thermostat. It likes to slip when you are putting it in and if you crank down the housing bolts it will crack the housing. They are also a little pita to get sealed.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
ikircher
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks guys for the quick replies. I did notice the t-stat housing looks like it may be tricky due to the fact that it is sideways haha. I will read up on it so I make sure that when I change it out, I will do it the best way possible. Thanks again!
ikircher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.