new yj owner needs advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new yj owner needs advice

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
clancy484

new yj owner needs advice

hello. I currently have a 97 tj. 2.5 5speed, love it. my daughter blew the engine and it has not been driven in over a year. I just inherited a 87 YJ with carb problems and bad brake lines. It has been in a garage for the last 12 years. I would like to get the YJ running for now while I restore the TJ. I assume the YJ has the 258 AMC carb. engine? Should I try to rebuild the carb or just replace it and with what would I replace it with? Taking any and all suggestions. P.S. New to the forums and postings, Taking advice on that too. Thanks Clan484

clancy484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Best advice I can offer is to get aquainted with the FAQ section, which is a sticky at the top of the YJ thread list.

In particular, this section has lots of carb info:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...6/#post8107870

If it were me, my goal would be to install the Howell fuel injection kit. But before I did that I would want to at least get it running on a carb so that I could evaluate the rest of the truck and see what kind of gremlins it had. Then decide if I wanted to put any money into it. So for me, the answer would be to clean and rebuild the existing Carter BBD carb, get it running enough to run trial runs. Then go from there.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i agree with the above. see what else is wrong before you go crazy with it. get that carb rebuilt. should last you a few years.
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
blackyj80
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with getting it running and see what you have. About weather to rebuild or replace the carb I have been there. I replaced the one on my old yj about 5 years ago. I found one at O'Reillys (in stock) for around $150.
blackyj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

+1 on checking it out. The cj FAQ has a ton on different carb options. I like the eBay carb kit. It does away with a ton of vac lines and smog crap. If you can do without the emissions stuff and be legal. Thats the kit I'm planning on for my 258 in my cj5...
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
clancy484

I will try a rebuild kit. I am going to drop the tank to get rid of the old fuel first. Knowing the previous, it is a sure bet that it is an original carb. where is the best place to get a rebuild kit? From what I read they are standard 2 barrel Carters.
clancy484 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.