New YJ owner! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New YJ owner!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

New YJ owner!

I picked up a 1991 YJ last night for a few hundred bucks.

The good:

It runs great doesn't appear to have any major leaks, shifts well and the frame seems solid. It has 140,xxx miles on it, has a new radiator, starter and throwout bearing. The tub inside is in pretty good condition too.

The Bad:

The top is ripped pretty bad
The rockers are way rusted
Some rust on the rear corners and tailgate and windshield frame
Needs a cat and muffler

My plans:

Order some replacement body panels for the rockers
Patch the back corners(rust holes are small)
Replace the drivers side floor panel
Buy a new tailgate and windshield frame(or go junkyard hunting)
Pull the existing carpet, herculine the floor and get some Seatz carpet from quadratec
Paint the jeep with a kit from paintforcars.com
Get a 4 inch lift for it with some 33 TSLs a friend is gonna give me

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I'm hoping I can turn this into a pretty nice looking jeep. I'll wheel it lightly and reserve the hardcore stuff for my beat up XJ

bluexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluexj View Post
I picked up a 1991 YJ last night for a few hundred bucks.

The good:

It runs great doesn't appear to have any major leaks, shifts well and the frame seems solid. It has 140,xxx miles on it, has a new radiator, starter and throwout bearing. The tub inside is in pretty good condition too.

The Bad:

The top is ripped pretty bad
The rockers are way rusted
Some rust on the rear corners and tailgate and windshield frame
Needs a cat and muffler

My plans:

Order some replacement body panels for the rockers
Patch the back corners(rust holes are small)
Replace the drivers side floor panel
Buy a new tailgate and windshield frame(or go junkyard hunting)
Pull the existing carpet, herculine the floor and get some Seatz carpet from quadratec
Paint the jeep with a kit from paintforcars.com
Get a 4 inch lift for it with some 33 TSLs a friend is gonna give me

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I'm hoping I can turn this into a pretty nice looking jeep. I'll wheel it lightly and reserve the hardcore stuff for my beat up XJ

sounds like you got a deal,and alot of work ahead of you too,which is most of the fun

Have you ever used that paint from paintforcars.com?

I've used it to paint a few vehicles for people who came to me who bought it,it went on nice and looked good,but at most lasted a year before fading and pealing.
When doing budget jobs,i use the Omni line by PPG( i think it has since changed names but still the same product from PPG),great price and great quaility for the money.
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the heads up on the paint. I'll check out the other site you mentioned.
Unread 08-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
sounds like you got a deal,and alot of work ahead of you too,which is most of the fun

Have you ever used that paint from paintforcars.com?

I've used it to paint a few vehicles for people who came to me who bought it,it went on nice and looked good,but at most lasted a year before fading and pealing.
When doing budget jobs,i use the Omni line by PPG( i think it has since changed names but still the same product from PPG),great price and great quaility for the money.
You are so right! It kills me to see people on this Forum spending tons of time prepping for paint. Then they spray on a $10.00 can of Rustoleum Paint. My experience with cheap paint is fade in one year. Now before I hear about the better experiences keep in mind that I live in Florida. Up north you might get two years or three. It still is crappy paint.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
E-Poppa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the new Jeep! I too am a new jeep owner of a 1995 wrangler, and although I'm fairly mechanical, I like to ask the 'experts' to hopefully avoid any unneeded steps when it comes to wrenching. The people here are super helpful, and loaded with tips. You found the right place, and welcome!
E-Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got my rocker panels and new floor pans ordered today! Tomorrow I'm taking it to get a new muffler so I can actually start it in the garage without scaring the whole neighborhood. Been doing some general cleanup on it and gonna take a pressure washer to it soon.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.