New YJ to the Family - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New YJ to the Family

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Reply
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Dre40
Senior Member
 
Dre40's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ellenton, FL, Florida
Posts: 633
New YJ to the Family

So I picked up this 93 YJ for my daughter. Its really clean hardly any rust. It has a 2.5L 5 speed. new 2.5 lift springs and shocks. I need to get new tires and rims for it. Also can someone tell me how to check the codes? It has a engine check light and I'm not sure how to do it on this one. My other jeep has a 4.3L in it with OBD2.

car1.jpg   car2.jpg   car3.jpg   car5.jpg  
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
jlegan
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: hendersonville, tn
Posts: 28
nice looking jeep and you are correct wheels are needed
jlegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
NewYJOwner
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Harrison, Michigan
Posts: 219
The newer Jeeps 1991-1996 XJ Cherokee and YJ Wrangler are equipped with an onboard problem reporting system that communicates to the owner through the check engine light. Not simply an "idiot" light, the check engine light can be triggered to flash in a series like morse code, where the user counts the number of flashes and looks up the corresponding trouble codes. These flashes equate to two digit numbers that report back, more or less, exactly what is failing on your Jeep.


When your check engine light comes on, do the following procedure to determine what is causing the system to report a problem. With the ignition off, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. (This needs to happen in under 5 seconds) Make sure you don't actually start your Jeep, turn the ignition to the ON position, but do not turn it so far that you start cranking the engine.


The check engine light will start to flash, count these flashes. Each code is a two digit number, for example 23 would be FLASH FLASH <pause> FLASH FLASH FLASH <long pause>


It will never flash more than 9 times, watch for pauses! The end of sequence code is 55.


Cherokee Engine Diagnostic codes

88 Start of test (This only appears on DRBII, it's not blinked out)

11 No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; or intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor

12 Memory Standby power lost (Batt or computer recently disconnected)

13 No change in MAP from start to run

14 MAP sensor circuit open or shorted; voltage too low

15 No speed/distance sensor signal

16 Loss of battery voltage detected with engine running

17 Engine stays cold too long (bad thermostat)

21 Oxygen sensor signal out of range, possibly shorted

22 Coolant sensor signal out of range (or disconnected to set timing)

23 Intake air temperature signal out of range

24 Throttle position circuit out of range

25 Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor driver circuit shorted or target idle not reached, vacuum leak found

26 Peak injector circuit voltage has not been reached

27 Logic module fuel circuit internal problem or TBI injector does not respond properly to control signal

31 Evaporator Purge solenoid circuit open or shorted or Evaporator solenoid circuit

32 EGR system failure or Power loss lamp open or shorted

33 Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted ( Also will show up for rigs without AC)

34 Speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits open or shorted

35 Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted

36 Wastegate control circuit open or shorted

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed (blown bulb) OR Park/neutral switch failure OR Torque converter unlock circuit open or shorted, A-413 4-speed auto

41 Alternator field control circuit open or shorted

42 Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted

42 Fuel pump relay control circuit

42 Fuel level unit - no change over miles OR Z1 voltage missing when auto shut-down circuit energized

43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time OR Cylinder misfire

43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

44 No FJ2 voltage present at logic board OR Logic module self-diagnostics indicate problem OR Battery temperature out of range

45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)

46 Battery voltage too high during charging or charging system voltage too low

47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

52 Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

53 Logic module internal problem

54 No sync pickup signal during engine rotation (turbo only) OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

55 55 End of codes

61 "Baro" sensor open or shorted

62 EMR mileage cannot be stored in EEPROM

62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored

63 Controller cannot write to EEPROM

64 Catalytic converter efficiency failure

65 Power steering switch failure
NewYJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
hrt4me
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYJOwner View Post
The newer Jeeps 1991-1996 XJ Cherokee and YJ Wrangler are equipped with an onboard problem reporting system that communicates to the owner through the check engine light. Not simply an "idiot" light, the check engine light can be triggered to flash in a series like morse code, where the user counts the number of flashes and looks up the corresponding trouble codes. These flashes equate to two digit numbers that report back, more or less, exactly what is failing on your Jeep.

When your check engine light comes on, do the following procedure to determine what is causing the system to report a problem. With the ignition off, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. (This needs to happen in under 5 seconds) Make sure you don't actually start your Jeep, turn the ignition to the ON position, but do not turn it so far that you start cranking the engine.

The check engine light will start to flash, count these flashes. Each code is a two digit number, for example 23 would be FLASH FLASH <pause> FLASH FLASH FLASH <long pause>

It will never flash more than 9 times, watch for pauses! The end of sequence code is 55.

Cherokee Engine Diagnostic codes
88 Start of test (This only appears on DRBII, it's not blinked out)

11 No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; or intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor

12 Memory Standby power lost (Batt or computer recently disconnected)

13 No change in MAP from start to run

14 MAP sensor circuit open or shorted; voltage too low

15 No speed/distance sensor signal

16 Loss of battery voltage detected with engine running

17 Engine stays cold too long (bad thermostat)

21 Oxygen sensor signal out of range, possibly shorted

22 Coolant sensor signal out of range (or disconnected to set timing)

23 Intake air temperature signal out of range

24 Throttle position circuit out of range

25 Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor driver circuit shorted or target idle not reached, vacuum leak found

26 Peak injector circuit voltage has not been reached

27 Logic module fuel circuit internal problem or TBI injector does not respond properly to control signal

31 Evaporator Purge solenoid circuit open or shorted or Evaporator solenoid circuit

32 EGR system failure or Power loss lamp open or shorted

33 Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted ( Also will show up for rigs without AC)

34 Speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits open or shorted

35 Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted

36 Wastegate control circuit open or shorted

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed (blown bulb) OR Park/neutral switch failure OR Torque converter unlock circuit open or shorted, A-413 4-speed auto

41 Alternator field control circuit open or shorted

42 Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted

42 Fuel pump relay control circuit

42 Fuel level unit - no change over miles OR Z1 voltage missing when auto shut-down circuit energized

43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time OR Cylinder misfire

43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

44 No FJ2 voltage present at logic board OR Logic module self-diagnostics indicate problem OR Battery temperature out of range

45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)

46 Battery voltage too high during charging or charging system voltage too low

47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

52 Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

53 Logic module internal problem

54 No sync pickup signal during engine rotation (turbo only) OR Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

55 55 End of codes

61 "Baro" sensor open or shorted

62 EMR mileage cannot be stored in EEPROM

62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored

63 Controller cannot write to EEPROM

64 Catalytic converter efficiency failure

65 Power steering switch failure
thanks for posting that, I was never aware of this on my new-to-me '91 YJ...
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
NewYJOwner
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Harrison, Michigan
Posts: 219
No problem,
Dre nice to see you starting a "jeep family" tradition.
NewYJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
HanksRide
Web Wheeler
 
HanksRide's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenwood, Arkansas
Posts: 1,492
Nice looking jeep, just bought my daughter one also not long ago but she had to pick out an 04 TJ.. Glad to see your daughter has a little square (headlights) in her.... Also good to see her get a standard, I think everyone should own a standard at a young age.. My daughter got an Automatic....
__________________
HanksRide
(Hank is Yellow Lab) He loves it!!
95yj 4.0L, 4" RC Lift, 8.8, Aussie Locker, Posi-Lok, Rock Sliders, 1" Booms, 33 X 12.50's, Rhino Lining, KC Day Lighters, Rock Bumpers, LED Dash Lights, XRC10 Winch
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters, WV
Posts: 3,699
Nice looking Jeep no offence but so is your daughter. There are two codes your YJ will always give off. One is 33 the A/C one and I forget what the other one is.
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
tdewit
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Nice looking Jeep no offence but so is your daughter.
Maybe slighlty off-topic, but.........., help me out here, maybe I am not well known for being politically correct, but why would you say to Dre40 "no offence but so is your daughter". Telling him he has a good looking daughter is a compliment in my opinion. If you told him she looked like a dog, then you could start the sentence with, "Nice looking Jeep, no offence but your daughter looks like a dog."
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
MDonovan8
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Desert Hills, AZ
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Nice looking Jeep no offence but so is your daughter. There are two codes your YJ will always give off. One is 33 the A/C one and I forget what the other one is.
Maybe your Heep gives off the 33 code, but that is because there is something wrong with it or you do not have A/C in your rig. If everything is all right then the only code you will see is 55. I would check the codes, reset ECU (disconnect battery for a couple of minutes) and then drive for a while and check codes again.

Glad to see the masses coming around, I bought my 17 yr old son a 93' YJ 4.0L, manual and caught a lot flack in here for putting a rookie driver in such an unsafe vehicle.
__________________
Freedom is not free, THANK YOU all service men and women.
MDonovan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
tankinyj
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: huntington, NY
Posts: 527
Dude shes like 16..... Anyways nice buy, def gotta get some new shoes on them.
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Dre40
Senior Member
 
Dre40's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ellenton, FL, Florida
Posts: 633
Well thanks guys. When I get back from my business trip I will check it out. I have a set of rims for it so now I just need to find a deal on tires. was thinking 32x10.5. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if its the power steering switch the RPM didn't seem to change when I turn the wheel driving slow. As far as my daughter thanks guys she is cute.
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters, WV
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdewit View Post
Maybe slighlty off-topic, but.........., help me out here, maybe I am not well known for being politically correct, but why would you say to Dre40 "no offence but so is your daughter". Telling him he has a good looking daughter is a compliment in my opinion. If you told him she looked like a dog, then you could start the sentence with, "Nice looking Jeep, no offence but your daughter looks like a dog."
Some people get offended when someone they do not know twice thier daughters age comments in thier daughter. It is called being polite and showing respect. If you are not a polite respectful person that is not my fault but DO NOT FLAME me because I am. Just because you would take no offense to it does not mean he would not.
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #13
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters, WV
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDonovan8 View Post
Maybe your Heep gives off the 33 code, but that is because there is something wrong with it or you do not have A/C in your rig. If everything is all right then the only code you will see is 55. I would check the codes, reset ECU (disconnect battery for a couple of minutes) and then drive for a while and check codes again.

Glad to see the masses coming around, I bought my 17 yr old son a 93' YJ 4.0L, manual and caught a lot flack in here for putting a rookie driver in such an unsafe vehicle.
I do not have A/C that is why mine gives that code. I did not notice his daughters new to her jeep had it until I just looked a second time and I am still not sure if I see A\C. I should have mentioned that he would only get it if he didn't have A/C or something was wrong with the A\C but most people would realize that if they have A/C they should heed the code if they get it. I have seen that cade drive several people who do not have A/C crazy because they could not understand why they get it.
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
tdewit
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Some people get offended when someone they do not know twice thier daughters age comments in thier daughter. It is called being polite and showing respect. If you are not a polite respectful person that is not my fault but DO NOT FLAME me because I am. Just because you would take no offense to it does not mean he would not.
`Don't get your knickers in a knot Siva, I wasn't flaming you, I was asking a question.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
Dre40
Senior Member
 
Dre40's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ellenton, FL, Florida
Posts: 633
So I did the Code check.. If I counted right it looks like maybe an O2 sensor counted a code 21. Its tricky to make sure your counting the right thing lol..
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.