new yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new yj

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
urukabaar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

new yj

Just got a new 95 yj has 4 inch shackle lift. Have never liked them and heard there dangerous. If I do a spring over will I have to have to get sye and longer drive shafts.

Unread 10-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Youre a long ways away from doing a spring over if youre asking questions like that. If youre dead set on it, you should spend the next few hours reading about soa. Much more to it that moving the perches.
If I were you, id ditch the shackles(after you post a picture of your jeep and them lol) and add a spring lift appropriate to the size tired you want to run. Add a small shackle lift as well.

But yes, youll have to get those as well as many more parts.
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 2 inch shackle lift. how long are your shackles??
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
urukabaar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The shackels are 6 inches giving 4 inches of lift was on it when got jeep. And have done spring over on sami but not jeep just wondering diff.
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urukabaar View Post
The shackels are 6 inches giving 4 inches of lift was on it when got jeep. And have done spring over on sami but not jeep just wondering diff.
Stock shackles are 4" long so you have a 1" shackle lift.....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the shackle are only 6" bolt to bolt then it's not a 4" lift shackle. For it to be a true 6" shackle lift it will be I've 16" long.
Stock ones are 4". A 1" lift shackle would be 6" long. Every 2" longer they are hole to hole the lift is one inch.

As far as the SOA goes I'm not sure how it works on a Sami but on a jeep if you do a SOA with out changing over to a high steer knuckle you will have an issue with components hitting each other and really bad bump steer

Here is my yj with 2.5" springs, .75" shackles and 1" body lift.

It's on a set of 35's right now. With a drop pitman arm I'm almost parallel and that's where they should be. If you look at the threads most people end up not liking those soa's due the steering problems. Now change over to a high steer knuckle and you can do it.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
urukabaar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you have to do high steer on sami to. My worry is the drive shafts being long enough so don't fall out if I flex it a bit. Not that florida has many rocks lol. And was just told was 4 in lift. The front shackles are 6inch and rear so guess its just inch lift. Means I need to find were my clearance for 35s come from? Hate to sound stupid but this first jeep. Normally run sami just couldn't pass up.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urukabaar View Post
Yes you have to do high steer on sami to. My worry is the drive shafts being long enough so don't fall out if I flex it a bit. Not that florida has many rocks lol. And was just told was 4 in lift. The front shackles are 6inch and rear so guess its just inch lift. Means I need to find were my clearance for 35s come from? Hate to sound stupid but this first jeep. Normally run sami just couldn't pass up.
Check for serial numbers on your springs as well as for a body lift.
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just north of Florida there's plenty of rocks. A 4" lift is right on the border line of needing a sye and cv joint. Post some pics of said jeep. A pic is worth a million inches.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sure is a Purdy jeep Jimbo. I've got one that looks a lot like it.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
urukabaar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry took so long on pictures. 33 13.50s were on it now tires in truck are on it 35 12.50. The front shackles are my concern was told they gave 4 inches.
car3_zpscf34da27-1-.jpg  
20130619_122155_zps3ace0e10-1-.jpg

85febb21-1748-40c1-8415-398204dbdc1f_zpsf718d83b-1-.jpg

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nah. Those arent 4" lift shackles. If they are only 6" from bolt hole to bolt hole, they are 1" lift shackles. They would be a foot long to give you 4" of lift.
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Measure from bolt center to bolt center on your shackles. Subtract 4 then divide the remainder in half. That's how many inches of lift you got from your shackles. Ex 6" bolt to bolt = 1", 8" bolt to bolt" 2" etc etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.