New YJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New YJ

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #46
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dont count me out of the yj game just yet... I may have just made some moves that will keep my new debt out of the bank all together. I'm all lined up to see the 94 tomorrow. http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/2783252506.html EDIT:had wrong link here before.

Lets see if i can pull off that 'turn and stuff cash in pocket' strategy as smoothly as you explained it!

JeepJon15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #47
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I drive a 1989 5 speed 2.5L YJ (4.10 stock gearing) with 2.5" OME lift and 31" duratracs. The thing is far from fast, but the engine runs great and feels very strong. She's only got 53K miles on her (they do exist!).

I drive it over the continental divide from the front range of Colorado to Moab once a year. It takes about 15% longer (45 minutes) than in my friends 4.0L TJ. It is a real dog uphill, but can easily cruise at 70 mph+ on flat roads.

Here she is during our 2' dumping two weeks ago.

Unread 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #48
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great lookin ride Bubbie! Looks like youre having fun.

One last question before i head into work. Been talking with the owner (texting rather) of the 94 i linked above. Asked about rust and the frame.

He said, "Frame is good, whoever owned it before me plated the frame on the back but it is in good shape."

What does it mean when you plate a frame? Is that like reinforcing?
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #49
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
Great lookin ride Bubbie! Looks like youre having fun.

One last question before i head into work. Been talking with the owner (texting rather) of the 94 i linked above. Asked about rust and the frame.

He said, "Frame is good, whoever owned it before me plated the frame on the back but it is in good shape."

What does it mean when you plate a frame? Is that like reinforcing?
It means the frame was already repaired, by welding steel plate over the damaged parts. Most likely it rusted out around the spring mounts.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #50
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ill check out the welds when i see it. But is this pretty common? Can it be done well enough to last for a while?

The guy says the only rust on it is a spot on the tail gate
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #51
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ill check out the welds when i see it. But is this pretty common? Can it be done well enough to last for a while?
Yes it is pretty common on the YJ's from the north, snow and rust country. Frames can be repaired to last as well as original. Say 20 yrs with proper care. Its not hard to make them last, just make sure to wash off any mud, salt, etc.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #52
Ryno_XJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As long as whoever did it is a competent welder and then took steps to prevent future rust after the repair, you should be fine. Don't be afraid to poke around on the frame, maybe take a screwdriver or something with you to help you out.

From the pics, that is a good looking YJ and seems to be built with the right parts. Hopefully the execution was good also. Good luck and like many others have said, do not be afraid to start SLOWLY walking away if the owner declines your offer at first.
Ryno_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #53
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Haha, okay ill be sure to apply that technique. I actually can only come up with a few hundred bucks less than his asking price of 5700, so i wont be faking if he wont budge haha. It works out better this way because i dont have much of a game face... if i'm hiding something i always feel like its pretty obvious.

Then again, whenever i post a car on CL i put it up for at least 1k more than i think its worth. I feel like people know that going into it.

Thanks for all the advise guys, we'll see tomorrow if this one is the right one. Any last minute tips are always welcome though.
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #54
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought it! Its a great jeep. Drove it home two hours and she handled like a Cadillac compared to my old 88 Yj. I feel very good about the Jeep.

1994 Sahara 4.0. 33 pro comps with a 4.5 rubi express lift. Other stuff too, if anyone is interested in seein some pictures i can post some tomorrow.

Like i said it drove great for the 2 hours home. Anything i should look out for in these next few days? Giving it an oil change tomorrow.

I also have a question on my license plate/tags. I just got the notarized title from the guy and put the plates from my 88 jeep on. I also got it covered on my insurance. I drove home this way just fine. I talked to my insurance agent and he told me this setup is fine to get it home... but i'm not sure about that.

Does anyone know if in ohio it is legal to drive this way for any amount of time? I plan on going to the bmv tomorrow to get the tags/plates transferred and all that good stuff. But i want to make sure i wont get pulled over on the way there.
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #55
stangruns11s
1990 YJ Wrangler 

congrats on the jeep cant wait to see pics
stangruns11s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #56
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks stangruns! I'll be sure to put some up.

Another question though... Has anyone here ever had to fill out an odometer disclosure statement? I live in Ohio and was just doing some research. I dont remember doing this a few years ago when i bought a car. I just sold my 88 and didnt do this.

It says both seller and buyer have to sign it, but he wrote the miles down on the title and signed it... is this not sufficient? The guy i bought it from lives 2 hours away, i'd really rather not make the drive again if i dont have to. I'm sure i could get ahold of him and sign on his behalf if need be. I think i read somewhere

I think i read somewhere that if the car is 10 years old or more this is not required??

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I just confirmed that this form is only required for cars that are newer than 10 years. http://www.co.portage.oh.us/autotitleusedvehicles.htm if anyone is interested
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #57
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I bought it! Its a great jeep. Drove it home two hours and she handled like a Cadillac compared to my old 88 Yj. I feel very good about the Jeep.

1994 Sahara 4.0. 33 pro comps with a 4.5 rubi express lift. Other stuff too, if anyone is interested in seein some pictures i can post some tomorrow.

Like i said it drove great for the 2 hours home. Anything i should look out for in these next few days? Giving it an oil change tomorrow.

I also have a question on my license plate/tags. I just got the notarized title from the guy and put the plates from my 88 jeep on. I also got it covered on my insurance. I drove home this way just fine. I talked to my insurance agent and he told me this setup is fine to get it home... but i'm not sure about that.

Does anyone know if in ohio it is legal to drive this way for any amount of time? I plan on going to the bmv tomorrow to get the tags/plates transferred and all that good stuff. But i want to make sure i wont get pulled over on the way there.
Sounds like you got a nice YJ! Lots of luck with it. A two hour ride can tell you quite a bit about any vehicle. Unless you are positive the oil/filter was just changed I would change the oil/filter and grease whatever fittings you can find.

Check the fluid levels in the axles/tranny and change any one of them that look contaminated.

If it is an automatic (I forgot) I would also do a drain and clean with a filter swap unless you know for sure that t was done by the PO.

I would throw some Sta-Bil in the gas tank simply because it treats fuel systems and prevent problems. I have a boat and it cost me a small fortune to repair the fuel system on it due to inactivity/water in the fuel. Sta-Bil would have prevented that. I still treat about every fourth tankful of gas in all my vehicles with Sta-Bil. I use it to winterize/summerize all of my small engine stuff and it works. No more poor starts after sitting around for months.

I would think that if you have the signed title in hand AND a true bill of sale with matching sales dates you have until the next close of business day at your DMV to transfer the registration plate from whatever car the plates/registration were for.

So if you bought it on Friday night at 6PM and the DMV is closed until Monday you have until Monday whenever the DMV closes to get the registration swapped over to the new YJ.

By calling your insurance and giving them the VIN number etc they agreed to give you, orally, an insurance' binder' until you get to their office at your first opportunity. That has to be done before you run off to the registry I would think to prove you have insurance on this YJ.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #58
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey! Did you use your game face when you did the negotiatin'?
I just checked out the ad again for your YJ. I think you stole it even if you paid the $6K for it.
Think about it....first find a 94YJ in great shape then buy and install all the mods that it has and there is no way you could do it for $6K.
I have '95 Sahara with HT and full doors and a soft top also that I did the TJ gas tank mod to. I did a rear tire holder delete. I also did a rear seat delete and then fabbed up a tire carrier to fit in its place. I did the 4" LED tail light mod then I moved the registration plate to the center of the tailgate and replace the third tail light with a flush style one from another vehicle. I also replace the console and glove box with a Tuffy units and did install a posi-lok for the front axle. The radio was also dumped for a better unit. I did all the work but the costs can add up.
Mine just needs paint but since it is a rust free garage kept all its life YJ I have been offered all kinds of $$$ for it. I always say you could not buy/build one this clean/ nice for what you are offering.

My point is your YJ looks terrific and it has many major drive train mods that are often wanted and cost large dollars to do. Add into that value the base YJ that is in great shape and you found yourself a great deal in my humble opinion.

Have fun with your new unit! Don't forget your initial maintenance!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #59
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Laybackman, i got to talking to the guy and he had it listed for 6500 a month ago and just dropped it to 6k. I ended up paying 5700 for it and it came with hard top, full doors, and the origonal sahara half hard doors as well.

I ment to put some pictures up yesterday but i got distracted, i'll put them up now. Shes really driving very well, i'm glad i pulled the trigger on this one.
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #60
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the add from CL with some info about the jeep

this is a 94 wrangler sahara with 4.0 6cyl. it has a 4.5 rubecon
express lift. 33x12.50 procomp tires with around 1/2 tread left . has
8.8 ford explorer rear end with disc breaks. smittybuilt custom drive
shaft.has elockeron the rearend.has chromeolly axles in the front. the
front end has a detroit locker.it is a 5 speed. it also has 8000lb.
mile marker winch. i also have hard top full doors and half doors. i
will sell the jeep for less without the hard top and full doors. i will
not sell the hard top and doors unless i sell the jeep first. i will
not trade and lowballers will be hung up on . if you think you might be
interested you can call or txt . this jeep
has been taking care of and you can take it anywhere on or off road it
does have disconnect sway bar. thanks for looking

Tags
2.4 , 4.0 , buying , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.