New YJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New YJ

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
pipnso
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If this helps with the negotiation, "cash now " " can pick up today" sure helps. Craig's list is known for guys needing til next Friday to pay. I looked for 4mo. to find my 94 4.0 4"lift, brand new 33",new Bestop Seats, new Bestop top, new hitch, new step bars. Guy wanted $6500, I had been beat out on 2 or 3 cj's and yj's locally. I was getting pretty discouraged, almost gave up, and in a desperate attempt emailed the guy with an offer of 5k. Told him I had been looking for a while, had cash in hand, and knew his jeep was probably worth more but if he would consider the offer I would be willing to come see it the next day,(2hr drive) ready to drive away.Apologized for wasting his time if he wasnt interested and thanked him. Thankfully he accepted. It was better than it looked in the pics. Had been owned by a friend of his, garaged for 3yrs prior to him buying it and he only had it for 3 months, no body rust no frame rust. ( daughter thought it too rough a ride, wants a mini cooper). I guess my point is that an accepted price is only a request away. As long as you're polite the worst that will happen is they'll say no, or counter. BTW this is my first jeep (after 20 yrs of waiting). Keep a look out and don't be afraid to ask, your jeep will come, even if one of these passes you by. Good luck ( sorry for long post but I'm pretty psyched)

pipnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #32
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine had less than 100k when i bought it last year. it rolled to 100k when i was driving it home keep your eyes out and you'll find it

i bought my wife a 200k 93 wrangler the year before last. she drove the hell out of it, all over texas. i keep regretting selling it because it was such a dang good jeep. it had a tiny bit of rust at the center of the bottom of the windshield, the normal spot. other then that, for a high school kid owning it, it was a dang good truck. and totally stock, minus ugly *** tube bumpers
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

pipnso, thats awesome. congrats on the great find. I hope i'm as lucky.

Still no word back on the 4 banger, so i'll look elsewhere. I've got my dad lookin out where he lives a half hour away. Hes more into farm land and folks who like trucks so he may have better luck.

There are some good lookin jeeps in my area on CL, a lot of people request you have money in hand before you call them (guessing the're having a hard time with tire kickers). I'll be shoping online till the old tax refund comes in here in the next couple days.

Whoever tried to PM me, sorry box was full. Gunna empty it now. Feel free to post here or try resending.

I may post a couple more good finds to see what you guys think!
JeepJon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #34
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2850792535.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2826929171.html

http://ashtabula.craigslist.org/cto/2785079154.html

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/cto/2788839267.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2852624266.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2847683957.html

i used this:

http://www.statewidelist.com/Results...&button=Search

some of these have a little bit of rust and some need a little work but they are cheap. i don;t know where you live so i jsut searched ohio and yj
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the links superj.

What do you guys think of the 87-90 wranglers. Like i said i had an 88, but it wasnt well maintained when i got it, so i dont have a clear picture of how they run. The vacuum system was annoying. The carter carb was impossible to keep tuned (for me). But that could have been because i had an abused jeep.
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #36
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine is fine but someone swapped the factory carb a long time ago and then i swapped their swapped carb for a small holley two barrel. i drive my 87 all over texas too. from houston to brownsville to rio frio. its 4 hours to houston from my house, 2.5 to brownsville from my house, and a bit over 4 hours to rio frio from m y house. i haul a little trailer all the time with it and use it to take the kids to soccer and drive to work so its a daily.
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #37
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and its an auto too, not a stick so if you choose a stick, i cannot help as i have never had a standard wrangler
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #38
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/2783252506.html

How about that puppy? I know i said i dont go off road much, but maybe i would if i could hah.

That being said, i dont know about a lot of the mods he's listed there. Anyone care to pick apart his add and explain what he's done to his jeep and why or why not that makes it a good buy?

The guy said he would take 4700 out the hard top/doors. 5700 with them (price lowered i guess). Has 132k on motor, he says he drives it every day but has been laid off since july and needs to sell.

I know i've been told to look for stock, but they are few and far between. This guy looks to have taken care of the jeep, hows it look to you guys?
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #39
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/2783252506.html

How about that puppy? I know i said i dont go off road much, but maybe i would if i could hah.

That being said, i dont know about a lot of the mods he's listed there. Anyone care to pick apart his add and explain what he's done to his jeep and why or why not that makes it a good buy?

The guy said he would take 4700 out the hard top/doors. 5700 with them (price lowered i guess). Has 132k on motor, he says he drives it every day but has been laid off since july and needs to sell.

I know i've been told to look for stock, but they are few and far between. This guy looks to have taken care of the jeep, hows it look to you guys?
This owner bought good quality items to do his upgrades. Low mileage is hard to find but I would seriously consider this one IF it has good hot engine oil pressure has no weird noises running down the road or sitting at idle, and there is no large rust/rot issues. Talk to this guy and let him tell to you about his YJ. ASk him what would he do next to it. Ask him what it might need in the near future as far as he is concerned.

Offer him $5,000.00 and be prepared to do the deal on the spot WITH CASH and show him the cash...bring some 'muscle' with you just in case this guy is really down on his luck!

There is an old saying that money talks and BS walks. If he is down on his luck he'll take the 5G's

If you can replace the HT and doors offer him $4000.00.

If he tells you he rejected a better offer you might mention that he might have made a mistake doing that. Then, thank him for his time, put your cash back into your pocket turn and SLOWLY walk away. You won't get back to your ride before he changes his mind.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #40
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New update having trouble getting financing. Thought i could get a couple grand loan, but apparently they only do that for people who dont need it, so i'm in a bit of a pickle. Good credit, just something about being 1% too high on a credit/debt ratio. I dont know. (this is for a signature loan)

They say i have to get a 2001 or newer vehicle to get a car loan. Believe it or not, i found a few nice 01 wranglers in my area for less than 7k. http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2761026786.html

I want a YJ... i like being able to talk to my jeep like an adult and not some 11 year old snot nose. I'm going to try to work something out with the yj, but neither parent seems to be in a position to cosign.

Pleaaassee dont tell me to take it to the TJ forum! I have never driven a TJ and i want a Yj driver's experience with them. I like the Yj for everything it is: rough riding, loud, simple, right angles on the grill. What can i do here? What would you do?

I dont have the luxury to hold off and save. I really should have already bought a car by now. Been getting rides to work for almost 2 weeks now.
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #41
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just tried to post, dont think it went worked... sorry if this is a duplicate.

Thanks for the replay laybackman. If you say the parts are quality, then they must be. It is a bit beyond me (cant think of a better way to learn about it though). I am a sucker for sob stories, so i was willing to give full asking price hah. I may try your negotiating method though.

Mom and Pops usually have money stashed away. They may be willing to each give me a little if i only need a grand or two, until i can come up with it.

I'm going to keep checking banks/credit unions though and see what i can work out. A guy at my bank told me about a credit union who will finance older cars (his classic mustang). I'm guessing the rate will be pretty bad, but on a small loan it shouldnt hurt too bad.

Does anyone know what an old modded jeep like this is worth to a bank? Would they give 2000 bucks for something this old?
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #42
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This may sound condescending and a bit 'parent-like' but here I go anyway.

NEVER expect any one person to help you with any financing. There are such a ting as good debt and bad debt. Good debt is home loan. Bad debt is a loan to buy an electric guitar.

Get a small notebook and write down every penny you spend no matter what it is for. And I do mean every penny.

For the next six months buy NOTHING you want. Buy ONLY things you need. That means you don't need cigs, booze, frappachinos, delivered pizzas, designer jeans, football sweat shirts, high end sneakers, eating out in general etc.

Pay off ALL credit card debt and never carry any credit card debt past the monthly due cycle again.

ANYONE who carries ANY credit card debt past the monthly cycle is living above their means. Carrying CC debt is a bad habit like gambling and will always get out of hand.

Once your CC debt is gone if you follow my guidlines you could probably buy this YJ with cash six months after you get debt free.

Now that is a noble goal!

Short story. I walked into a Jeep dealer in '01 and bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Naturally they asked me how I was going to pay for it. I handed him a credit card. The salesman looked at me like I had two heads and said loudly; "That is not going to happen"! I just smiled and then told him to call the CC company and (Discover Card) verify the sale. He did. After I verified who I was they said no problem even though my CC limit was just $25,000.00 at the time and the GC cost ~$32,000.

AND, I drove it home THAT day. I told him that it comes home with me or the deal is off. I'm not in the mod to make two trips to pick it up.

The service department had it prepped in one hour. That is called buying power due to a high credit rating and excellent financial track record.

I'm not special trust me, but I have this kind of economic power because I have a long unblemished buying with credit history.

By the way when I got my credit card statment in the next month it got payed off.

CC companies call people like me 'deadbeats'...because they make zero $$$ off of me. I call credit card companies my free short term loan people, and free guarantee doublers!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #43
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the advise, i wish i could wait 6 months. I do most of the BUY NOTHING YOU WANT things anyway, haha, small budget helps with that.

My problem is lack of credit history. I'm 25 and have about $350.00 in debt. Its older debt, and yes it should be paid off by now but i dont miss payments. I'm being told by banks that they have nothing to go off of.

I'm doing what i can to work it out. The.... tj... is a fall back plan. Any yj fanatics have anything to say about the tj though?
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #44
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Laybackman, that is some excellent advise!!!

Quote:
Any yj fanatics have anything to say about the tj though?

I have been building jeeps for a very long time. I have owned a number of YJs and TJs. The YJ has a soft spot in my heart because my first vehicle was a YJ. The TJ is a far better platform to build from however. The coil/link suspension is far superior to the YJ's leaf spring set up for on road handling and off road capability. The heaters actually heat the interior. I could probably go on and on!

On either model you need to look the frame over very carefully for rust issues. I have fixed nearly as many TJ frames as YJ frames!

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #45
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I appreciate the advise, i wish i could wait 6 months. I do most of the BUY NOTHING YOU WANT things anyway, haha, small budget helps with that.

My problem is lack of credit history. I'm 25 and have about $350.00 in debt. Its older debt, and yes it should be paid off by now but i dont miss payments. I'm being told by banks that they have nothing to go off of.

I'm doing what i can to work it out. The.... tj... is a fall back plan. Any yj fanatics have anything to say about the tj though?
Making minimum payments does not help with your credit rating, trust me. It show that you are a 'minimalist' when it comes to reducing your debt load.

Finances always dictates decision making. If you need a daily driver you may be 'forced' to buy the TJ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.