New YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New YJ

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
wrngleryj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5L engine is supposed to be a very reliable engine! If you want to change tire size and lift it, then you could always gear down to 488's. There are actually quite a few people that do this and have great looking and great performing jeeps! I found an article by JP magazine that you may find interesting since you're considering the 4 banger, and also this thread on here was helpful to me because I got to see how far others had pushed the 2.5 and other peoples opinions on it. Hope some of this was helpful! 57K sounds awesome to me!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...uilds-1142267/

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ers/index.html

wrngleryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unfocused, i did learn a LOT. Honestly, family and friends are impressed with how much i was able to learn... seemingly on my own... Haha. But really, the people on here have saved me a lot of headaches and a lot more money. Couldnt think of a better place to go if i need help with anything concerning my yj.

I had her running pretty nice, not perfect, but strong enough. Just rebuilt the carb and put some new shoes on her. After a quick oil top off (1/2 qt), i close the hood and FORGET TO PUT THE OIL CAP BACK ON. Several hours later, without overheating (bad thermostat?) she starts buckin and knockin and died. Shrapnel in the oil pan. Coolant coming from cylinder 3. If it hadn't been a sunny day it may have pushed me over the edge......

Good news is, i get to find a new one.

5k reasonable price to offer for http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2848533703.html ? Compared to what i've seen on CL around here, 6k is a bit much.

Hittin the sack now. Hopefully get to see it tomorrow. Will report back!
JeepJon15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy my other yj it's real cheap and will bring back memories, it's an 87 4.2 5 spd and you'll have 3k to play with it lol. What I've learned from the yj buying game is be patient and the right one will come along you don't want to rush in and get something you truly don't want. Good luck
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats true /\

i looked for about 6 or 7 months till i found someone who would straight trade my 87 cherokee for their wrangler. it was funny because my cherokee had something like 110k miles and everything worked and this one had 99k miles and had exactly the options the wife's sahara had... on a straight trade.
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #20
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, i'm hoping i can at least take a look at the low miles 4cyl today. Off to work, 4 a.m is too early...
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not knowing if you live higher than the snow belt and what kind of junk is in your area. Try looking for a rig south of you. Here in Florida 5k for a nice Yj is pretty much in line and no rust to speak of.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^agreed. If you're willing to take a road trip, you can score reasonably priced jeeps with NO rust down here.

I got my 1990 YJ (4.2 I6) from West Palm Beach for $3500 a few years ago. Not a spot of rust on her, which makes wrenching much easier

All I had to do was catch a ride down there, and drive back up to Tallahassee.
kharmajavah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post
Well, i had to sell my YJ... it was a sad thing to see it roll off on that trailer.

I had an 88 and the motor was trashed. Springs needed work as well, so i got out from under it after a few great years.

I need another YJ. Yes need.

Just looking for some opinions, i'm looking to keep it under 6k if possible. How much Jeep should i look for, if im spending 4-6k on a YJ?

Is it best to find something stock? Is the 4 cyl really that disappointing? I had the carbed 4.2, so its not like i'm used to a race car. I don't really do a lot of wheeling, its mostly a daily driver/dirt road trekker. Of course i want a few inches of lift, but with all the cheap lifts out there do i risk buying one pre-lifted?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2848533703.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2816198665.html

Here are a couple i'm looking at now. I really want a l6 5 speed, but that 4 cyl has 57k original miles.

Thanks for any input. My previous 88 yj 4.2 auto was the first and only wrangler i've ever owned, so i could use some help on the 2nd try.

Jon

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/2783252506.html

I feel like i shouldnt pass up on that 4 cyl. May need talked out of it.
Several thing that are important to me when I buy a used vehicle is low mileage, lack of rust and no crappy balls of wire under the hood/dash etc.

This forum is full of what? Questions about problems due to age/rust/ former owners scrfewing up their YJ's.

You can address the top end issue IF it has one and itbothers you. A set of 31" tires could solve that problem. AND, so what if you use 4th instead of 5th gear?

Now in the futrure you want to do some mods. You have what everyone wants! A clean rust free not hacked on platform to start out with.

Get as much information about the YJ as possible from the curent owner. Act like a serious buyer. Then negotiate my man!

How many members here buy a YJ because they got blinded by a set of rims and half shot tires along with a crap lift kit, and didn't notice the huge ball of wiring under the dashboard or the hacked electricals under the hood and then go on a rant about problems they cannot fix? Condition is #1

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Haha i see your point....

It really would be nice to get a base line feel for how a stock yj rides and then go from there. All i know is how my half *** lifted yj drove (to the left unless you strong arm it!). So i'm gunna try to jump on this wrangler.

Havent heard back from the seller, so there is a small chance its gone. Was posted 3 days ago. We'll see, its still early.

What did you mean by "You can addres the top end issue"? I lost you there for a second.
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You may not be as happy going from a 6cyl to a 4cyl.

Be patient and good things will come to you.

Also and my best advise to you is to look south for a rig. Trailers and flights are cheaper than extensive work.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha i see your point....

It really would be nice to get a base line feel for how a stock yj rides and then go from there. All i know is how my half *** lifted yj drove (to the left unless you strong arm it!). So i'm gunna try to jump on this wrangler.

Havent heard back from the seller, so there is a small chance its gone. Was posted 3 days ago. We'll see, its still early.

What did you mean by "You can addres the top end issue"? I lost you there for a second.
Top end issue as in highest speed it can easily achieve and maintain say above 65MPH. If you want high top end (speed) out of your vehicle you would not be buying a YJ like the first place!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, i am hardely ever on anything faster than a country road. Freeway maybe once a month.

I'd love to get a southern vehicle. Half the jeeps here were used to plow at one time or another, so some are REALLY rusted out. The thing that scares me is driving all the way to say, Florida, and finding out the jeep wasnt as discribed. Then i'm out a few hundered bucks in gas, and a couple days of driving.

Patience is my weakness here. My YJ was my daily driver so i've been grabbing rides to work (5:30 am), so my family/friends are getting a bit sick of me. Also... i NEED a YJ haha.

I get what youre saying though. I always browse CL for YJs and i've seen some great ones come and go. Who knows what will pop up tomorrow.

HOPEFULLY i hear back on the 57k 4 banger though. At this point i'm just curious what a 'like new' Yj looks like.

Are there any red flags as far as miles on engine goes for you guys? There are some yjs with 200k+ and claim they still run like new. How about reabuilt/swapped motors and trans? What are some major no-nos??

P.S if anyone is looking to unload their Yj feel free to post a pic or something for me. I trust the guys on here, sight unseen, much more than a random person. OkwranglerYJ, if you have a pic of your 'other yj' i'd like to see it.
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh yeah, i am hardely ever on anything faster than a country road. Freeway maybe once a month.

I'd love to get a southern vehicle. Half the jeeps here were used to plow at one time or another, so some are REALLY rusted out. The thing that scares me is driving all the way to say, Florida, and finding out the jeep wasnt as discribed. Then i'm out a few hundered bucks in gas, and a couple days of driving.

Patience is my weakness here. My YJ was my daily driver so i've been grabbing rides to work (5:30 am), so my family/friends are getting a bit sick of me. Also... i NEED a YJ haha.

I get what youre saying though. I always browse CL for YJs and i've seen some great ones come and go. Who knows what will pop up tomorrow.

HOPEFULLY i hear back on the 57k 4 banger though. At this point i'm just curious what a 'like new' Yj looks like.

Are there any red flags as far as miles on engine goes for you guys? There are some yjs with 200k+ and claim they still run like new. How about reabuilt/swapped motors and trans? What are some major no-nos??
The only major no-no's would be a swap done wrong. That usually show as poor craftsmanship in the details. Lots of cut and dangling wires or lots of black electrical tape. Look under the dashboard for that also.

High mileage even with great care = wear and tear. I look for the difference between cold engine oil pressure and hot engine oil pressure. Cold meaning dead cold from the day before and hot oil pressure meaning after a 10 mile ride down the road.

If you find a high mileage engine that has at idle hot engine oil pressure of 20PSI and no 'funny' noises during operation I would buy it.

Genereal all around condition is what is most important. The 2.5 with very low miles is most attractive because is is probably bone stock also. A great driver from day of purchase whose biggest flaw might be tires that don't hold air becasue they didn't got hot often enough from driving!

REMEMBER, why you got rid of your other YJ!

Don't buy another one like it. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the classic sign of insanity.

Unread 02-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #29
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

"REMEMBER, why you got rid of your YJ!"- Haha, okay, so look for one with an oil cap.

I kid i kid... i see what youre saying. Get stock... low miles, no rust. Now i'm really getting worried the 4 banger is already snatched up.

Oh well... patiiieeennccee. Think how cool it would be if i found a l6 5speed with under 100k. I'll keep that thought in my head and pretend i'm holding out.
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"REMEMBER, why you got rid of your YJ!"- Haha, okay, so look for one with an oil cap.

I kid i kid... i see what youre saying. Get stock... low miles, no rust. Now i'm really getting worried the 4 banger is already snatched up.

Oh well... patiiieeennccee. Think how cool it would be if i found a l6 5speed with under 100k. I'll keep that thought in my head and pretend i'm holding out.
Good deals do come up. There are a ton of YJ's out there. IF you can hold off you will find one that suits your needs. BUT they do not stay on the market long!

Tags
2.4 , 4.0 , buying , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.