New YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New YJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New YJ

Well, i had to sell my YJ... it was a sad thing to see it roll off on that trailer.

I had an 88 and the motor was trashed. Springs needed work as well, so i got out from under it after a few great years.

I need another YJ. Yes need.

Just looking for some opinions, i'm looking to keep it under 6k if possible. How much Jeep should i look for, if im spending 4-6k on a YJ?

Is it best to find something stock? Is the 4 cyl really that disappointing? I had the carbed 4.2, so its not like i'm used to a race car. I don't really do a lot of wheeling, its mostly a daily driver/dirt road trekker. Of course i want a few inches of lift, but with all the cheap lifts out there do i risk buying one pre-lifted?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2848533703.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2816198665.html

Here are a couple i'm looking at now. I really want a l6 5 speed, but that 4 cyl has 57k original miles.

Thanks for any input. My previous 88 yj 4.2 auto was the first and only wrangler i've ever owned, so i could use some help on the 2nd try.

Jon

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/2783252506.html

I feel like i shouldnt pass up on that 4 cyl. May need talked out of it.

JeepJon15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i wouldn;t have a problem with a 4 banger but mine is not lifted and i hardly get on the highway. i hear bad things about lifts, highways, and the 2.5.

i would imagine that for 4-6k, you could get a fairly nice wrangler. both of the ones the wife and i have bought were 4k or less and both were 6 cylinder, automatic, hard top, ac, full door jeeps. mine being an 87 laredo and hers being a 93 sahara.
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, i dont know if ill ever find another yj with 53k miles around here, but i dont want to end up missing those 2 cylinders all the time.

Like i said, this is going to be a DD and occasional dirt road vehicle (luckily i don't have to use highways much either). Fastest thing i'm on is a country road, doing 55. I'd prob only lift it a couple inches for some 31s and be done with it... at least until i have more money.

But yeah, i dont plan on running giant tires. Anyone with the 4 banger who can testify for it? I think it has more HP than my 4.2 had.
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Ryno_XJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 95 2.5. Coming from a Ford Ranger with the 4.0 V6 i was planning on being disappointed. I must say I was not incredibly disappointed at all. Of course I just have 30x9.50s for now. I can do 65 all day on our anything-but-flat highways around here. Now do not get me wrong, it is no speed demon but you have to get used to hitting 3000-3500 rpms to get up to speed at a decent rate. Mine also has 160,000 miles and is well overdue for a good tune up.

I know you said you do not really wheel much, but I just have to say there is something magical about these 4 crazy squirrels off the black top. It seems that I can go places with less wheel spin than other jeeps with the 6er can. Of course, I am naturally a finesse wheeler so that may have something to do with it also.
Ryno_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As long as it doesnt feel like i'm crawling i'm okay. So i'm feeling more comfortable about buying a 4cyl. I'd like to hear from some guys who have driven both the 4.0 5 speed and 2.4 5 speed.

Also, any tips about buying lifted or stock? Any other "mods" to look out for and make sure were done well before buying? My 88 had a shackle lift, and i didnt know anything going into that buy. The front shackle was fractured and the rear shackles were crap.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As long as it doesnt feel like i'm crawling i'm okay. So i'm feeling more comfortable about buying a 4cyl. I'd like to hear from some guys/gals who have driven both the 4.0 5 speed and 2.4 5 speed.

Also, any tips about buying lifted or stock? Any other "mods" to look out for and make sure were done well before buying? My 88 had a shackle lift, and i didnt know anything going into that buy. The front shackle was fractured and the rear shackles were crap.

And Ryno, i'm sure i'd love wheeling. Just never had the chance. Maybe my new YJ will motivate me.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15
As long as it doesnt feel like i'm crawling i'm okay. So i'm feeling more comfortable about buying a 4cyl. I'd like to hear from some guys/gals who have driven both the 4.0 5 speed and 2.4 5 speed.

And Ryno, i'm sure i'd love wheeling. Just never had the chance. Maybe my new YJ will motivate me.
I assume you meant 2.5.

I've owned both. The 4.0 does much better on the highway but is no speed demon. It just requires less downshifting. I'm a little jaded though, for a tow rig my cummins scoots pretty good. The 800ish ft/lbs of torque helps.

Back to jeeps, stock to stock both drive fine. Its when you add bigger tires that the difference really shows.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

31s are all i was thinking.

Let me ask you this. On a vehicle 18 years old, how significant is that 57k original miles? I know going to see it can tell me a lot more than one of you guessing, but i know some people around this forum have purchased a dozen or two jeeps. Plus i'd like to have the money in hand before i show up.

Yes, if i needed something that could pull i'd get a cummins. People who have them seem to love them.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Ryno_XJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJon15 View Post

I very rarely feel like I am crawling, but maybe thats because all the noise makes me feel like I am going faster than I truly am.

As far as stock vs. modified, it can be a toss up. Do your homework and then when you talk to the owner see if he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Another thing to consider is 4 or 6 cylinder. If it has bigger than 31s, the 6 cylinder will handle it much better than the 4. Unless of course there has been some regearing done, then that is a whole other can of worms. That 4 cylinder you posted up there sure would be hard for me to pass up because of miles and stock condition.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thats what i'm thinking. Now i'm getting all paranoid that by the time i have the money (tomorrow earliest, friday at the latest) it will be gone.

6k is on the upper end of where i wanted to spend. I'd happily pay 5k if it looks like it only has 57k on it. Maybe it will be justified when i see it, what do you think?

An added bonus is this jeep lives in the same smallish town as me.
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Ryno_XJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats what i'm thinking. Now i'm getting all paranoid that by the time i have the money (tomorrow earliest, friday at the latest) it will be gone.

6k is on the upper end of where i wanted to spend. I'd happily pay 5k if it looks like it only has 57k on it. Maybe it will be justified when i see it, what do you think?

An added bonus is this jeep lives in the same smallish town as me.
If it is in as good of shape as it looks, then I would not have a problem spending $5000 on it.

I have 2 95s, one came from Waverly, OH and the one I DD came from Hillsborough, OH. Both have rust, but the one from Hillsborough has a hole in the right front fender and the frame has maybe another 2 years max if I do not do anything about it.

To be in the same very general area, that 4 cylinder looks very, very clean. The third one looks clean as well but obviously from the pictures it has been wheeled. Since you are not big into wheeling (yet), I would for sure go for the unmolested one.
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, i think i will go for it. I really dont want to spend 6k on it, so hopefully they will be flexible.

Anyone have a good negotiating technique? I want them to come down about a thousand bucks. How do i counter their "you wont find another one with less miles".

Ryno, whats with the Ohio jeeps? No way you use more salt in WV than were using up here. Just find good deals?
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to do pretty good on that kind of budget. Mine was valued at 4500 by the PO and Kelly blue book. I had it shipped up here to NY from Calif, so it has zero rust. You could do the same thing, get a southern jeep if you want a nice clean one.

I would prefer to keep it as stock as possible, that way its easier to fix all the little stuff without having $$$ surprises. The 4-cyl is fine for me but I'll probably get a bigger motor when it goes. So you'll probably be happier with the 4.0.

I do mostly highway and some dirt roads during the week, with weekend snow runs in the winter. The difference between motors is in the acceeleration, and how hard they have to work at 60 MPH. Mainly the 2.5 doesn't have any acceleration, seriously mine gets blown off at the stoplights by loaded dump trucks. The 2.5 also has to work a lot harder on the highway.

But having said that, mine still climbs a 15% grade 2x a week at highway speeds.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi JeepJon, sorry to hear about your problems with the old YJ. I remember about a year and a half ago when you were just getting started, exploring problems with manifold leaks and such over Thanksgiving as I recall. Looks like youíve learned a lot!

Regardless of what you purchase, at least do a check of the engine before you buy. Pack up a tool kit which will let you inspect the engine after itís warmed up; the usual ratchet wrench, extensions, plug socket(s) and vac gauge, etc. After a test drive pull ALL the plugs and inspect them, hook up to manvac and check engine performance as well. You probably know all of this by now considering your experience, but if not:

How to read a vacuum gauge:
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

How to read spark plugs:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm

Nice to see youíre still in the game!

Take Care and Good Luck!
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
SandyMushYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone have a good negotiating technique?
When I negotiate, I try to avoid pointing out minor issues with the item for sale to prevent insulting and irritating the seller, who is usually anticipating a potential buyer "picking it apart". Sometimes I make a point to look hard at a problem or run my hand across it to make the seller aware that I noticed it, but if it's not major, I don't mention it. Keeps them from getting defensive. I have found that it can be more effective to show decreased interest in it for a less threatening reason, such as "not exactly what I was looking for" or "it may work with some modification." I would even go so far as to seem disinterested and about to thank them for their time without making an offer at all until they ask for one, or if they don't bite, I will seem to reconsider based on the fact that I would be willing to try to make it work if the price can be made attractive enough to not be a devastating loss if it doesn't work out. Avoid the hard-to-resist grins and the "look honey, it's the first one we've seen that doesn't have a ripped driver's seat!"

In other words, instead of trying to tell the guy his Jeep isn't worth $5k, make it seem that it isn't worth that to you for reasons that do not reflect poorly on him or his Jeep. Just be prepared to back up your statements with something of more detail if asked, like "I was hoping to find one with more/less mods (opposite of his item)" or "I was hoping that I would like the color more in person." Non-insulting and hard to argue with. There's not one method that works on every seller, but this is my preferred approach. Good luck.

Tags
2.4 , 4.0 , buying , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.