New Wiring Harness? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Wiring Harness?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Moops
1988 YJ Wrangler 

New Wiring Harness?

Looking down the road a bit, I'm going to have to address my electrical "ghosts." I plan on replacing the dash anyway, so I'll probably go with all new guages then. But I'm thinking, while I'm at it, I ought to just run a whole new harness. Currently, my gas gauge works sometimes, I think. None of my other gauges work at all. Blinkers don't flash. Dash lights are iffy. I haven't really looked too closely at it, but the PO did say that he got water behind the dash.

Is this overkill? Too much extra work? How difficult is it, exactly?

Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a complete wiring harness for the whole jeep on ebay for $250. You can also find just the body (tub) harness, or engine harness, etc, by themselves. Here is where I got mine. You have to watch it every week because they put out different harnesses. I got mine and it was in great shape, with no cut wires at all.

The ebay store is Alljeepparts401

I tried to link it, but it wouldn't work. Just look on the left side under "store catagories" and go to yj. then look for "Interior trim and wiring". They have wiring and parts for other models and years. Make sure you check out the shipping costs. They show up when you click on one of the products.

I pulled out all my gauges and glove box and everything unplugs. The under dash harness will replace your inner fuse block and everything under the dash. It is not hard, just take your time. Inscidently I used this when converting over to a 4.0. I bought a complete harness from a 94 wrangler, so I have no cut/spliced wires for my swap.

Hope this helps.

Bill
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Moops
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7 View Post
I bought a complete wiring harness for the whole jeep on ebay for $250. You can also find just the body (tub) harness, or engine harness, etc, by themselves. Here is where I got mine. You have to watch it every week because they put out different harnesses. I got mine and it was in great shape, with no cut wires at all.

The ebay store is Alljeepparts401

I tried to link it, but it wouldn't work. Just look on the left side under "store catagories" and go to yj. then look for "Interior trim and wiring". They have wiring and parts for other models and years. Make sure you check out the shipping costs. They show up when you click on one of the products.

I pulled out all my gauges and glove box and everything unplugs. The under dash harness will replace your inner fuse block and everything under the dash. It is not hard, just take your time. Inscidently I used this when converting over to a 4.0. I bought a complete harness from a 94 wrangler, so I have no cut/spliced wires for my swap.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Awesome, that helps a lot. I probably only need the tub harness anyway, but I'll have to take a closer look once I get ready to start on the electrical. So many other things that are higher in priority, but I do want to get this thing on the road soon!
Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think I actually have my old '88 tub harness.. My son is coming to Jacksonville in the next week (we lived there for 22 years) to visit his freinds.. Let me know I can send it along with him if you want it. Let me did through my boxes and see if I still have it.
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7 View Post

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill, if I understand you correctly, you swapped from 2.5 to 4.0 and with this harness you were able to just plug and play? I have a 4.0 harness from a cherokee spliced into my 2.5 body harness and would love to just replace it all at the firewall plug to avoid splices.
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, I swapped from 4.2 carbed to 4.0 fuel injected. But the 4.0 is almost identicle to the 2.5 except for two extra injector wires. This is for the 91-95 models. From what I have read, when you have a 91-95 2.5, going to 4.0, all you have to do is add the two extra injector circuits (two wires for each injector) and you are good to go. You have to get the two ciruits from the junk yard: you want the entire circuit from the ecm to the injector. You can actually pull the two ciruits out of another 2.5 harness. There are prolbly tons of those around. The Ecm is already set up to accept the circuits, you just have to plug them into the proper pin holes.
You will have to figure out how to get the harness around the 4.0 engine as it is alot longer. But this is the cheaper route. If you want the 4.0 harness, you will have to make sure that the firewall connector pins are in the correct locations.

I think one of the cj forums has a good write up on it, but I'm not sure which one.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Tags
electrical , gauges , wiring harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.