New Winch Plate And Winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Winch Plate And Winch

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
nfrank44
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New Winch Plate And Winch

So Guys Just Got Back Not Too Long Ago From Putting My Homemade Winch Plate On And Got The New SmittyBuilt XRC8 Mounted Up To It...So Far So Good...All I Have To Do Now Is Wire It Up And Of Course To Test It Out

For My Winch Plate I Got 1/4" Thick Steel Plate. Cut It To The Size That Would Fit Perfectly Between My Bumper And The Grille. Slipped Down Perfectly(After A Few Visits To The Grinder) Got It Lined Up Nice And Welded The Whole Way Around. If It Breaks Off I Will **** My Pants.

Problem Occurred During This Homemade FAB. See I Got So Worked Up On Just Trying To Get The Mount To Slip Nicely Into The Space Between The Bumper And Grille That I Completely Forgot To Build A Very Important Part. The Roller Had Nowhere To Lay Its Head. So Three Generations On My Family (My Pap, Dad, And I) Put Our Heads Together And Decided To Weld A Plate Straight Off The Bumper Cut And Drill Holes And Then Mount The FairLead Roller On It.

So I Like To Hit A Lot OF Water Holes And Was Wondering Where Do You Guys Mount Your Solenoid Box? I Was Thinking Of Getting Something Like A Tubberware Dish And Place The Solenoid Box It That To Protect IT From 99% OF Water.

Another Thing How Did You Guys/Gals Hook Up Two Batteries?

nfrank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Beater37887
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at getting one of the new Smittybuilt XRC8's myself and didn't see any winch mounting plates that were factory made. Do they not make one or will another manuf. work? Is this why you made your own or just something you wanted to do?
Beater37887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Most plates in the aftermarket are drilled for the two most common winch bolt patterns. And most companies follow those patterns.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

pics? lets see your work!
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I removed the stock jack assy., bent up a pc of metal to form a "c". Mounted the solenoid box by the battery. You will have to run different cables to the winch. The stock cables are too short. I also removed the controller connection and ran wire to a remote location by the top of the grill. Its just below the hood(high water line) and then you dont have to open your hood everytime you need to use your winch. You can use the same battery if it has multiple posts. Look closely in my pic. Side terminals for starter, top for winch and accessories.

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

here is a detailed write up to check out, great way to remote the box and plug
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522011
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
nfrank44
1994 YJ Wrangler 

where is everyone mounting a second battery or aren't you guys using two?
Unread 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
nfrank44
1994 YJ Wrangler 

heres some pictures of it

Product

Before

Almost Done
Got Winch Mounted on HomeMade Plate

Homemade Roller And Looks Like A Sweet Little Push Bar

Just Have To Wire It Up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.