new(used) steering column to short?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new(used) steering column to short?!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 05-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
D.B. Cooper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

new(used) steering column to short?!

I purchased a column off epay this winter to replace my stolen recovered 93 YJ tilt/manual. It is fitting to be too short. I am not grown up enough to have photo posting. The replacement is supposed to be a 92 wrangler manual/tilt and is exact except for the shaft is flush with the stamped column cap/bearing at the end. The shaft does not stick out at all past the bearing cap. All other shafts I have seen including my 95 and my 93 shaft sticks out 1 3/4" from the column end so..did I get shafted with the wrong shaft?what is this flush shaft column from?

I wish I had pic capability. I will e-mail pic if I have to.

D.B. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
D.B. Cooper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

93 steering column replacement shaft too short.

O.K. does any one have a steering column where the steel shaft does not stick out 1 3/4" from the bearing/end cap/clip assembly?mine is a 93 and the eplacement (92?)I bought's shaft is flush with the end cap. what column is this?unless it was sawed off for removal which I don't see.
Unread 05-28-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The shaft end you speak of,, does the end that is flush on yours look the same as what should be sticking out? maybe the joint for the tilt mechanism is collapsed inside the column. IIRC when I replaced the lower bushing I had issues with the shaft end pushing up into the column. Did you try and pull the shaft out? If you post a picture to a free web host like Photobucket, Putfile or one of the thousand others, you can put the link on your post and then we can all see your dilemma.
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
D.B. Cooper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

shafted

yes burnerman thanks for answering. the shaft is identical excpet the notched/hard steel is flush with the lower shaft bearing instaed of 1 3/4" like all others. I have never heard of a tilt shaft collapsing upward toward the steering wheel but that does not sound good. I will try to get some host site pics thanks for sticking with me.
Unread 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
D.B. Cooper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yep

It was collapseded in. I pulled it out hopefully after a new bottom bearing all will be well. Thanks for the second brain. now onto the ignition switch.
Unread 06-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
D.B. Cooper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

new used column install

Burnerman, I replaced the column and the replacement was pushing up into the column. the original 93 did not push up toward the steering wheel at all. it seemed solid. They are both tilt.otherwise identical Is my new used one o.k.? Its all bolted in now just don't want any chance of it receding up into the column. worried..Josh

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.