New upgrades and problems with turning maybe locker? - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New upgrades and problems with turning maybe locker?

Alright guys so I just did a lot to my jeep pretty much replaced everything from the frame down. But this post is about the front end. So I have a new to me Dana 30 with brand new 4.88 gears and a lock right locker and has the one piece long side upgrade. So my problem is when I'm turning right it feels like I'm in 4wd and the tires almost hop around and dance on the pavement. Like the locker is engaged. Now when I turn left no problems and I can hear the locker ratcheting. But with the right turn I don't hear a ratchet just the loud pop of the locker unloading. Could this be a problem with the locker or else where??
I did also have to replace the right side shackle mount could it be possible it wasn't welded on perfect with the other so caster is off? But my bet is on the locker and the place who put it in with the new gears told me it was okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 08:13 AM
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the locker (pun intended). Personally, I'd never use an automatic locker in the front unless it was an off-road only rig.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had it in there before I did all this work though and never a problem. But before I had the 2 piece axle with the CAD. so maybe that could be it? But my buddy who I got the new Dana 30 from said he never had an issue with it with that setup.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 09:01 AM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Locker Locker Locker.......Now imagine what that will be like on an icy road.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lol I live in SoCal don't see much icy road until I go snowboarding. Which this whole process of fixing my jeep and upgrading was because of an icy road just about a month ago hit some black is and the hit the guard rail..
But besides that back to my locker problems. Does the locker need to be replaced or did the installer fudge up? Or Ive heard of people putting it in neutral and going back wards for about 50' then Goin forward and it unlocks the locker.

post #6 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 AM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is it doing it in two wheel drive?
If it is I would check the transfer case and make sure it is not in 4 wheel drive.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes 2wd and I already checked that I jacked it up on jack stands and put it in gear and only the rear spun

post #8 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 AM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Remove your front driveshaft and see if it still does it.
Your locker should not be engaging in two wheel drive, there is no power going to it.
Randonexplosion likes this.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-05-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ya that was the plan after work to take the front DS off.
And yea I know that that's why I'm getting so frustrated. It just feels like it won't unlock on the right. On the left no problems I can hear it ratcheting when I make a left turn but when I turn right no ratchet

post #10 of 20 Old 03-06-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Figured it out after opening the diff up the locker belongs in the trash the teeth on the pass her side of the locker are worn down in reverse and then forward the grab to much and won't ratchet. So unless you guys got any sweet ideas I'm pitting the spider gears back in tomorrow that the PO so graciously left me lol

post #11 of 20 Old 03-06-2016, 12:26 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was under the impression that with an AutoLocker up front and the CAD system, the locker would not affect the steering or cause issues. My YJ has an autolocker up front with the 2-piece axle shaft and I have never had it cause issues in 2wd. My belief is that even though the locker "thinks" one tire is turning faster than the other and locks up, because the passenger shaft is not actually connected when it does, there is no ill effect to the steering nor the locker. FWIW even though you are not under power in 2wd, the axle and drive shaft still spin, and the locker is still set to lock when conditions of unequal spin exist between the two shafts going into it.

By removing the CAD, you deleted a "weak link" in you jeep, but also set up the locker to play havoc with your steering on dry roads, cause excess wear to your locker, and generally you're going to have a bad time. The way I see it, you have a few options;

1. put the spider gears back in and forego the locker altogether
  2. Get another auto locker and Re-install the CAD and 2-piece shaft (maybe with a cable lock versus vacuum?)
  3. Get a selectable front locker. (OX locker is fairly inexpensive and can be installed with a manual cable versus the on-board air upgrade or electric)

Unfortunately, if you simply get another $300 auto locker, and keep the 1-piece passenger shaft, you will have the same results sooner or later on a daily driver.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 w/HnT Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 Aussie Lockers F/R
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #12 of 20 Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well i thought the same thing but my buddy had the same set up he has no problems also I jacked up the front put it on jack stands. and when I hold the passenger tire and someone else tries to turn the drier side tire the passenger side doesn't ratchet likes it's supposed to. If that makes sense.

post #13 of 20 Old 03-06-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Bailey_S1007
1990 YJ Wrangler 

But what you're saying does make sense. The spider gears will work for now. And then eventually get a selectable locker.

post #14 of 20 Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 AM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There are many people who run solid axle shafts and auto lockers who do not have this problem. TJs, XJs. ect. the locker must be defective, or they installed it wrong.
It should take more than the tires rotating at different speeds to make the locker engage, it also needs power going to the diff.
Call Lock Right.

post #15 of 20 Old 03-06-2016, 07:34 AM
silleYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check the install, I had a buddy that just put a lock rite in his XJ 2 weeks ago. He left the thrust washer out of the passenger side and it behaved exactly as you descibe. You may be missing a piece if anything was pulled during the axle swap. Other than that, go spider or selectable.

1988 YJ Wrangler 2.5L for fun
2014 WK Grand Cherokee for dependability

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.