New tie rod or steering stabilizer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New tie rod or steering stabilizer?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 03-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

New tie rod or steering stabilizer?

I need help on deciding weather to put a new stabilizer on with my stock tie rod or amp up the tie rod with a thicker bar (not sure the diameter but for sure bigger) with no stabilizer at all.

I recently got ahold of a pro comp "M-series" (I believe thats the name off the top of my head) steering stabilizer. After taking off my old one and comparing the two the pro comp is defiantly a lot stiffer.

A few other YJ friends both don't run stabilizers and have no problems.

So speaking off appearance and function should I:
A. pro comp steering stabilizer with stock tie rod.
B. No steering stabilizer with thicker diameter tie rod (witch I would paint lime green to match other exterior parts)

Advice!! go!

Unread 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lotta people don't use a SS. Not needed if everything else is all tip top. I bought a SS on accident(left it in the cart at Morris). I also have a new tierod I'm installing. So ill be doing both just because I have a new SS and can't really return it. Sure some of the guys that run without one will chime in.
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have mashed my stablizer flat on rocks a few times and can say that driving with or without it does not seem to make any difference. Your mileage many vary.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a BDS steering stabilizer. Getting my old one off was a pain though so I just cut the bolt so I could get it off. I always said I was gonna drill it and put it back on. That was two years ago and I still havent done it. If your steering is set up right and the components of it are in good shape you should be good.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im kinda leaning towards the thicker tie rod with no SS.
& Silva, I also had to cut my old one off also. It was unbelilveabuly rusted sealed fused in there.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am still using my stock tie rods sans steering stabilizer. It works just fine. Unless yours is bent or something it should be good.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My SS is dented and rather soft. But at this point it docent matter because I won't have a SS at all once I put this new tie rod on.

Its off a F-150. Its substantially thicker and heavier than the stock one.

The primer is drying now, It will be painted lime green and put on tomorrow night. If this thread is still alive ill post some before and after pics.
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if anyone cares but here are some pics.

This is the old (Stock) Tie rod with no SS on.

This is the new ProComp SS and my old Stock SS (nether will be used).

This is the (new to me) F-150 Tie rod. As you can see it has a small dent.

Unread 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work. Was it direct bolt in or did you have to modify it?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

Unread 03-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post

This is the (new to me) F-150 Tie rod. As you can see it has a small dent.

of course you know that the dent weakens the larger tube to the point that it's probably no stronger than a factory size tie rod that is straight
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OP, do yourself a favor and skip the freebie bent rod with the hole in the rod end. Buy a real tie rod system (I suggest RuffStuff stuff). Also buy a JB4x4 drag link bracket for the right side knuckle to fix your badly angled drag link.
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Leave it as is so you don't lose your sweet stickers!

But seriously the Ruffstuff steering is pretty beefy!

DO NOT DO WORK WITH DRAKEN OFFROAD IN NY!!!
(also known as dragons garage in Oneonta NY)
egodfrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
OP, do yourself a favor and skip the freebie bent rod with the hole in the rod end. Buy a real tie rod system (I suggest RuffStuff stuff). Also buy a JB4x4 drag link bracket for the right side knuckle to fix your badly angled drag link.
Don't listen to Don. He's just jealous. While we're raining on your parade... That new steering stablizer might be the exact same as the previous. (They might have all been made at the same plant and sold under different names.)
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I apologize, I have LIED. Its not an F-150 Tie rod. Its a aftermarket heavy duty YJ tie rod (I think rugged ridge). I didn't get a chance to instiall it because my drag link was to small. But thankfully my friend also had the drag link so its being painted today.

Im purchasing new grease housings and pins for both bars.

*regurding the dent in the tie rod making it not as strong.. Thats okay. Ive never dented my stock one plus I rarely wheel on rocks. This upgrade is 80% for the appearance. hence the lime green paint.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post
I apologize, I have LIED. Its not an F-150 Tie rod. Its a aftermarket heavy duty YJ tie rod (I think rugged ridge). I didn't get a chance to instiall it because my drag link was to small. But thankfully my friend also had the drag link so its being painted today.

Im purchasing new grease housings and pins for both bars.

*regurding the dent in the tie rod making it not as strong.. Thats okay. Ive never dented my stock one plus I rarely wheel on rocks. This upgrade is 80% for the appearance. hence the lime green paint.
You might wanna put your flame suit on and prepare.

Eithier way good job looks good

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.