New tail lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New tail lights

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
argnetworks

New tail lights

Just Cracked my tail lights putting on my hard top. what is the best option for replacing them? should I get factory or look to upgrade?

argnetworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

LEDs seem pretty simple. Its what I'm going to do.
devoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The most commen upgrade I have seen for the tail lights is the flush mount LEDs. They use a lot less power, last a lot longer, are a lot brighter, and are flush mount so no more catching on things. I did the 4" round LEDs and am completely satisfied with them.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
devoX13
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^^ This is what I meant
devoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yip, first time I got my Jeep "detained" I had to sacrifice a tail light to the Hi-Lift gods. Flush mount is the only way to go.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I recessed the OEM style lights. I actually just replaced the original ones with some generic OEM style ones I got cheap, $6 each, from Summit Racing. [Yes, the entire plastic housing, lens, and bulbs for $6 each.]
backend.jpg

Unread 07-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I recessed the OEM style lights. I actually just replaced the original ones with some generic OEM style ones I got cheap, $6 each, from Summit Racing. [Yes, the entire plastic housing, lens, and bulbs for $6 each.]
I really like that look. That is how the yj's should have come from the factory.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelite View Post
I really like that look. That is how the yj's should have come from the factory.
X2!

JeeperDon, I assume you had to cut into the tub where you could see it from the inside of the Jeep, do you have any pictures of that? Ive been wanting to do this but when I took measurements I saw that Id have to cut inside and didnt want it to just be open back there.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
JeeperDon, I assume you had to cut into the tub where you could see it from the inside of the Jeep, do you have any pictures of that? Ive been wanting to do this but when I took measurements I saw that Id have to cut inside and didn't want it to just be open back there.
I've always been one to say even if it's tough to do right, living with those results is always nicer in the long run. Yes, about the top 1" of the 5" tall main light housing is above the inner fender line inside the tub.

I actually didn't think of that when I did it 10+ yrs ago, just measured the outside, taped up the outside to mark it up, started drilling and jigsawing, then "WTF is that stopping the saw!" It ended up being more work, but came out exactly as you would expect, a rectangle cut out of the top of the inner fender about 2" toward the front, just enough to accommodate the light housing box.

I tried to just silicone the housing to the tub, but that was a pain the next time I wanted to take the housing out, so it''s just a 1/8" gap now around the housing inside. If I ever do decide to seal it again, I'd just silicone a small upper box add to the tub, could even be simple plastic.

Oh, you do have to run a ground line, since the no longer used OEM mounting screws to the tub do that. The lens screws do the mounting of the whole assembly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.