New Sound System: 6 1/2 speakers in sound bar?? Tips please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Sound System: 6 1/2 speakers in sound bar?? Tips please

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New Sound System: 6 1/2 speakers in sound bar?? Tips please

So I purchased a new Pioneer stereo for my jeep to replace the 5W per speaker POS walmart one I had in there...50W made 100000% difference in sound and volume. Anyway...I have decent speakers in my sound bar right now..they are also pioneer but are aged. The head unit I bought came with big pioneer 6 1/2 inch speakers. I looked at it and the magnet of the speaker fit in the hole that was already there very nicely..but the tricky part is gonna be to line up and drill the wholes perfectly to get them to fit. Any tips or tricks from someone who has done this before? Also, Are my speakers relatively safe from a little rain if I happen to be out driving around with the top off and a rain storm come through. Wouldnt want to ruin nice speakers. Nothin I could do about it but I was just wondering.
Any tips or suggestions would be GREAT.
Thanks guys

mrbriteside1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did it on mine,,was a PITA to do,but it works for now.
The stock sound bar is made of thin plastic on the underside,i lined the speakers up where i wanted and had to cut a bigger hole even though the magnets fit in,the speaker frame didn't.
The PITA was trying to get marks where i wanted the new screw holes,and while drilling the screw holes be carefull to ONLY punch through and stop as soon as you do,don't do like i did and wrapped the speaker wires inside on the drill bit and rip em apart..lol..and THAT was a PITA to try and get in there and fix.

Also,even though the speakers are fitted in nicely,the speakers don't get to use their full potential,the sound bar is very slim inside,meaning no room,so the speakers don't sound good cranked real far because they can't breath.
I'm soon making my own sound bar and put 6x9's in it
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Firemedic740
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure what the difference is in the rollbar in your model vs the model I have. I have a 2007 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited and I just replaced everything form the head unit, to speakers to sub and added a 5 channel amp it sounds fantastic. I bought the Polk 651's in the roll bar they are for marine use. So it just means they handle moisture a little better but they are by no means waterproof. Also, they are 6 1/2's the holes didn't line up unless I used the plastic circle ( I can't remember what it's called right this second) that has the extra tabs to make it line up. The magnet fit fine. I almost could have went with 6 3/4 and it would have fit better. Be careful to if yours is all plastic cause once you screw in you probably don't want to be taking them in and out if you have to modify it. Anyway, hope this helps a little.
Firemedic740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.