New slave cyinder to existing hose issues ('91 wrangler) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New slave cyinder to existing hose issues ('91 wrangler)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
davebl260

New slave cyinder to existing hose issues ('91 wrangler)

I'll try to make this brief - bought a new slave & clutch kit from advance auto, did full install but now having a major issue when i try to hook the hose from the master cylinder backup to the new slave cylinder. new slave has a different fitting (quick disconnect) than the old one and no one seems to know why or how to fix it (talked to both AA and the clutch manfacturor).

Other strange thing is all positive reviews for the clutch system on the AA website(?). Here are some pictures of what I'm up against - new slave connection next to existing hose connection and a pic of the old slave for reference. Need help!!

(PS tried to remove fitting from existing hose line, and also removing quick disconnect from new slave - no luck)

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

davebl260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have some issues here. First hate to break it to ya but it won't work.

You either need a different slave or a different master. The two systems are incompatible. It's more work to swap the slave seeing as how you have it all hooked up. Switching the master and line will cost you more ($200+). And may need some modifying.

I suspect either the system was swapped previously, someone mixed up the part numbers, or yours was made in a slave cylinder transitional time. (flare to quick disconnect)

If it makes you feel better I can pull the tranny and swap the slave in an hour MAYBE two with no special tools. Shows how many times I've done it. Lol

Good luck

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
OBXyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you can wait a couple of weeks I think I can help. I have a 93 and replaced the slave and clutch a month ago. I also replaced the master and the line with the Advanced Adapters stainless line. I cannot get a good connection to the slave b/c the AA line will not connect directly to the 93 slave (I've connected with a compression fitting). It will bolt directly to your slave. I have ordered all parts to go to an external slave and will be making the swap in a couple of weeks. You can have the line and master - both new and as mentioned above cost about $200. Won't be doing me any good once I make the swap. Let me know.
OBXyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see a problem here?
The first pic is of the new slave line fittings and the existing master hose?
The second pic is of the old cylinder?
Remove the black fitting off the other line on the new slave (not the bleeder line)
Thread that line hose fitting into the master hose fitting and tighen
You removed the original slave line from it - remove that black fitting and hook it up

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
I don't see a problem here?
The first pic is of the new slave line fittings and the existing master hose?
The second pic is of the old cylinder?
Remove the black fitting off the other line on the new slave (not the bleeder line)
Thread that line hose fitting into the master hose fitting and tighen
You removed the original slave line from it - remove that black fitting and hook it up
Couldn't he cut the new inlet line , remove the threaded nut off the old line, place the threaded nut on the new cut line, flair the new inlet line using a brake line tool, and be done with it?
I only get 100 characters including BBcode for my Sig line now so I thought I'd be witty and write until I run out of characters but for some reason I'm not running out of space as if some magic or witchcraft is afoot. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the planets aligned and I'm the exception to the rule or some benevolent soul in a position of authority has looked down upon me and my predicament and has opted to rectify it in his intoxicated state and make people read this whole thing for no reason at all. Other than his amusement of course.
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Post is eerily similar to http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...onnect-756337/

You can find a brake line flair kit on the cheap through ebay http://compare.ebay.com/like/3708177...Types&var=sbar

or rent/borrow one from Autozone-Napa-etc.
I only get 100 characters including BBcode for my Sig line now so I thought I'd be witty and write until I run out of characters but for some reason I'm not running out of space as if some magic or witchcraft is afoot. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the planets aligned and I'm the exception to the rule or some benevolent soul in a position of authority has looked down upon me and my predicament and has opted to rectify it in his intoxicated state and make people read this whole thing for no reason at all. Other than his amusement of course.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The quick disconnect line is not the "standard brake line mild steel" that you can mess around with. It's a plastic concoction of some sort. To me they looked incompatible with each other when I swapped mine.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
The quick disconnect line is not the "standard brake line mild steel" that you can mess around with. It's a plastic concoction of some sort. To me they looked incompatible with each other when I swapped mine.

if thats the case, he'll have to remove the new unit and go get one that fits..
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Couldn't he cut the new inlet line , remove the threaded nut off the old line, place the threaded nut on the new cut line, flair the new inlet line using a brake line tool, and be done with it?
Not even that difficult - nothing needs to be cut
The black plastic fitting on the new slave can be removed with 2 wrenches
Once that's off, the flared line fitting (on the new slave line) will thread into the existing supply hose and seal tight
I've had to do this a number of times now

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good info. Didn't know you could do that. Could have saved me a trip the the yard when I did mine.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
davebl260

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
Not even that difficult - nothing needs to be cut
The black plastic fitting on the new slave can be removed with 2 wrenches
Once that's off, the flared line fitting (on the new slave line) will thread into the existing supply hose and seal tight
I've had to do this a number of times now

Thanks for the reply, my approach is exactly what you describe. But would love to know how you managed getting the quick disconnect off the new slave. Have tried everything, line wrenches, etc. Its on so tight that I'm starting to bend the line with so much pressure and it still won't budge. Have had 2 other quality mechanics take a shot and no luck.

I'm afriad I'll break the new slave line and have to start over. Jobs already done except for that connection.

Last edited by davebl260; 08-30-2013 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: add information
davebl260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

PB Blaster - flare wrench for the line nut - the correct size open end combination wrench across the flats on the metal part of the black fitting
One time when I had to remove one I used a pair of giant channel locks and and extra set of hands
You might could try a small pipe wrench to hold the fitting but I'm not sure how well it would work

That black fitting is supposed to come off

Holley Carb thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.