New to the site. help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to the site. help

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
jeepster02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

New to the site. help

hey fellas ive got a 94 yj with the 2.5l 4 banger with approx. 13000 on it. was wanting to maybe put a turbo on it. but plan is to run about 5 lbs. what do u guys think and any info would be great. thanks guys

jeepster02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
newyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

why, it's a 2.5 do not think it's going to be any more than that. If you want more just go bigger, lots of room under there

[url]http://www.cityprofile.com[/url]

[url]http://www.pgh-offroad.com[/url]
newyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

use the search feature. There are many threads on this already.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
Roadyy
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you scroll down the list of specific forum categories you will find one labeled street jeeps. I think you will get the type of info in there you are looking for. Most of us in here have already figured out that putting a turbo on a brick is still a brick with a turbo that will sound good, but not keep up with the ricer.
This is tech, yes, but these guys try to help with trouble shooting and eficient upgrades..
Hope you don't take this as being a wise crack at you. Just trying to help and give you a lil insight to the answers you will get in this forum.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a web site specifically for the 4 angry squirrel owners like us! 4BangerJP.com - Index
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
jeepster02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, first of all, thanks alot for the info. Second of all newyj, id love to put in a larger engine, but are you going to give me one, i think not. lol. But i am getting a turbo with about 14000 on it for free. Im currently out of work , so i cant buy a larger engine. UABYJ94, im not trying to make it fast, its a stinking jeep! lol. im just trying to get a lil more power out of her for pulling my trikes. Thats it! So everyone thanks alot for the info and such.
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You might be better off just regearing it as another cheap option. I like my 4 banger. Someday I might go for the 4.0L but as long as it does what I want it to do I will keep driving my 4 angry squirrels!
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster02 View Post
Hey guys, first of all, thanks alot for the info. Second of all newyj, id love to put in a larger engine, but are you going to give me one, i think not. lol. But i am getting a turbo with about 14000 on it for free. Im currently out of work , so i cant buy a larger engine. UABYJ94, im not trying to make it fast, its a stinking jeep! lol. im just trying to get a lil more power out of her for pulling my trikes. Thats it! So everyone thanks alot for the info and such.
but why would you buy a 2.5L looking for power??
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
jeepster02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

que89yj, im new at the 4x4 area so what gears do you recommend? And for monkeyhouse, i didnt buy the jeep for power. i just later got into riding 3 wheelers so i would like a lil more power pulling my tailer.
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There are many people here that are better qualified to talk to you about gearing and towing. You need to give an idea of how far your going to tow, what your going to tow, and how much does it weigh to dtermine what way you should go.
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
jeepster02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok fellas, bottom line. I cant afford a larger engine right now. I got the turbo for free. All i want is info on how to, what to look for, anything i need to do? etc, etc. Any advice?
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You haven't even told us what kind of turbo you have.

Installing a turbo properly can be a challenge for most folks even when dealing with engines & engine mgmt systems where its done "all the time." And trust me this isn't one of those situations. Chrysler ECUs are not widely reverse engineered and understood like GM and Ford so once you work out the mechanicals the tuning will be a huge challenge too. If were to do it I'd probably toss the stock fuel injection really. If you are broke how are you going to afford the expensive one-off machining costs, etc involved with the plumbing/adapting?

It sounds like you are thinking out loud, have done absolutely no research at all, and aren't ready to mentally or financially commit to this. I think you'd better stick with what you have.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
Roadyy
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I understand you got it for free. I guess whay I and most of the others are trying to say is(non sarcastically) the money it will take you to properly fit and setup the turbo you could change out the fuel injectors to the 19lb injectors from a ford then replace your clutch fan and fan with an electric fan from a taurus or t-bird to increase your output alot cheaper than you could get all the necc. parts to use the free turbo.. I hope this makes since..I am all about using free stuff if it's applicable.. I just can't imagine the turbo being really worth the effort.. Hope this helps.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think he was talking about all options. How big is the trailer? How much does it weigh and what kind of distance are you talking about towing it? The 2.5L Can get up to 80 but it doesnt have the upper end the 4.0L has. With that being said I have towed my 10x14 trailer in the city with my basically stock drive train. I wouldnt take it on the freeway towing with my rig.

Tags
turbo , yj , wrangler , 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.