new shackles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new shackles

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

On another thread recently they were talking about caster angle and shackles. I did some more research and math after that. I found that less caster is needed with larger tires, since the tire/road contact point is further ahead of the knuckle swivel. The OEM spec for my YJ is 6.3 (+/-1), which turns out to be about 5 needed for a 35" tire (compared to a stock 29" tire).

Doing the caster math as it applies to shackles, changing the shackle length by 3/4" changes the caster angle by 1. So, lengthening a shackle from the stock 4" means lowering the caster, which means for twitchier on-road handling and poorer on-road return-to-center (Jeep seems to have a mind of it's own). My present shackles are 5.75" long, and my caster is about 3.5 (had it measured by a shop), and the Jeep indeed has a mind of it's own on-road.

Actually, today's garage project is to fab up a new pair of front shackles that are maybe 4.5" long to get my caster much closer to the 5 I figure is good. I think it's worth a couple hours of shop time and 2' of steel to experiment.

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

4.5"lg with 3/8" bolt holes?
I guess Im asking what size dia. are the bolts?
wondering of how much meat will be needed around the edges

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Most heavy duty aftermarket are 3/8" x 2" steel with 1/2" bolt holes and a 1" end radius.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.