new seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new seats

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
oldsoldier66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

new seats

i am thinking about installing poly racing buckets from jegs in my yj. i am thinking that i can mount a flat plate to the existing seat brackets and then simply drill holes in the plate to mount the seat itself. has anyone out there done this sort of project?

oldsoldier66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've done it, it works okay as long as you are safe with it. Although I did it for holes that were farther back/forward from the stock instead of wide.

Drill holes, washers nuts/bolts and lock-tite is the way to go.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have Sparco seats and I was able to modify the folding passenger bracket, but had to make a new bracket for the drivers side. Usually the angle of the seat as well as the height of the seat will require some sort of bracket modification
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
JJGiguere87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed my drivers side Corbeau fixed back seat. I ended up dropping the seat an overall of an 1 1/2 and still could probably have dropped it more. I just used the existing seat bracket and drilled new holes on the bracket it self for the seat then just ended up having to drill 2 new holes in the body. I used all machine grade bolts and all that.

With a little thinking and planning you can get away with using the stock brackets no problem. I found it easier to cut and weld the stock ones.

Plan on having a hard time removing the bolts on the bottoms of the seat brackets especially if you wheel your jeep. I ended up buying the irwin sockets for rounded off bolts. Worked for most but ended up having to cut the tops of the studs with a cutting wheel and used a chisel to knock the rivet off.
JJGiguere87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you haven't bought the seats yet, I'd recommend you DON'T do it
I had them in mine for a while because when I got my Jeep, it needed seats BADLY, I already had the poly buckets in my garage and I couldn't afford a pair of "normal" seats at the time.

the angle most polys sit at will require quite a bit of effort to get in and out, the side bolsters are so high and they do not flex. they also put your legs (knees/lower thigh) right into the steering wheel. I had removed the stock wheel and installed a Grant 13"... I couldn't fit my hand between the wheel and my knee.... so I got a ridiculously small wheel, like 8" or so.

also, if you plan on driving for more than 10-15 min at a time, prepare to look like you peed your pants most of the time between May and October... they are HOT and do not breathe. Especially down in GA, even more so than I experienced here in upstate NY. that and there's NO cushioning... and the "padded cover" you can get for them is about 1/8" to 1/4" foam at best that really doesn't do anything for comfort

if it's for a pure off-road/mud machine then fine, you can hose them right off... but if it's even going to be a weekend driver for you, I think you'd be happier (and more comfortable) with just a pair of junkyard seats that you can replace every couple years as they wear out.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
oldsoldier66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the replies jeepers'. i thought i could easily modify / fabricate something. Sean B: i think you just sold me on not installing those types of seats. i'm in the army and most of my time in the jeep is spent in my duty uniform. i sweat enough being in georgia as it is without helping it along. thinking some cushions and new seat covers are the way to go for now. CHEERS.
oldsoldier66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
JJGiguere87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My seats are just fine and they are a fixed back high side bolster type seat. While it is a bit more trouble getting in and out I plan on getting a hide a step from M.O.R.E. and that will help in and out. It was a pain in the *** with regular seats to so either way a side step is going to make life easier. Its really to each there own I guess.

Here's a pic of it installed...

JJGiguere87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.