New rear axel: Brake Line Questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New rear axel: Brake Line Questions...

DynoMax fall Ultra Flo Welded rebate is here!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 04-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

New rear axel: Brake Line Questions...

Hey guys and gals. i joined a little while back, but i've had this jeep for about 2 years now. I got into a accident and bent up my rear axel. surprisingly the jeep faired well despite the severity of the crash. anyways, im gettin ready to put in a new d35(yes, i know its junk but moneys tight and at $70 its worth it) and i was wondering about my brake lines:

When I unhook em, is there a way to stop the fluid up or am i just going to have to let em run out and bleed it all over again? i'm not sure if i'lkl have to bleed all 4 corners either. do i? you guys really seem to know your stuff here too. i appreciate your help!

These smileys are freakin awesome!

BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your new axle is the same model D35 that your taking off and your using your odl brakes you can get away without even having to open your brake fluid up. You can remove the entire rear brake assembly from both sides (still have the fluids attached, just unbolted from the axle housing) and ziptie it to the frame, install the new axle, then bolt your brakes back up.

If you HAVE to disconnect your brakes, shove a little bit of paper towel in there and try to stick the brakes up high, that should keep them from leaking. You dont want the fluid to get below the resiour in your master cylinder or else you'll need to re-bleed the master cylinder.

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you have rubber lines the fastest way is to use some vicegrips and pinch them shut. i personally wouldnt do it but ive seen worse.

i made some adapters from napa. use a short piece of metal tubing pinched shut with the proper fitting on it. pull the old and quickly screw on the pinched blockoff. this will limit the mess and allow you to take your time with the rest of the swap.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.