new radio install - distributor noise on Radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new radio install - distributor noise on Radio

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 09-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

new radio install - distributor noise on Radio

Hello all

A few months ago did a new jeep radio install (my last was stolen). Job went relatively fine. My fuse box did not have a 12V costant for the yellow wire because when i disconnected the old wiring, i forgot to undo battery. yellow wire (hot all time) sparked. Since then, no constant 12V in interior fuse box (clock was the nomenclature). Not sure why it doesnt work. Is there something i did? Main fuses in Engine Bay are all good.

So that brings me to next problem. I decided to run hot wire straight to batter, thru fireway behind heater core. easy job. since then i have Distributor Noise on my radio. Nohting on Blue Tooth or CDs. Just on radio.

ANY solutions to this? Fix the fusebox somehow? or any other solutions on the battery hot wire setup?

Unread 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There should be fuses under the dash on the left hand side. I would start with cleaning every electrical conection you can find both positive and negative. You may also need a cap from the output of the alternator to ground to eliminate the noise.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Battery fuse constant should be fuse 7 on the panel. It goes to the lighter as well. Radio noise is a PITA. The big issue with ignition noise is usually power or ground. Take a ground from the the radio case directly to chasis ground. What occurs with ignition noise is usually a difference in potential. The antenna ground is sheet metal at the antenna and the radio is pulling ground several feet away setting up a potential difference on the antenna cable making current flow along the antenna shield. Take a ground wire and hook it up to the radio case and run it as short as possible to body sheet metal. Make sure you have the engine block ground wire installed. It should go from the rear of the cylinder head to the fire wall. The next thing would be an in line surpressor available at any electronic store(Best Buy, Radio Shack Etc.).
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
rthompson48082
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like a bad ground wire to me...i have a stereo and 2 amps in my jeep with no engine noise....i used thicker gauge wire for constant going to the battery and connected the other power and ground to the stock harness...did you completely remove the stock radio harness ? if not, i can give you a diagram of the harness i found that tells you what all the wires in the harness are for...hope this helps
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Ground most definatly IMHO. below is a pin out of the stock wiring if you need it.
wrangler-oem-radio-pin-out.jpg  

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

all been rewired, no factory harness, on my last radio or this one - all connections soldered and heat shrink.

I had wired my rear speakers, and put new front ones in about 1 year ago, before last radio was stolen. I used the same switched red wire from the interior fuse box. the ground was the same as before, it is up somewhere above the radio up under the dashboard. It was never a problem with the last radio, maybe this radio is more sensative.

the only difference is the Constant 12V runs next to antenna wire toward firewall and into engine bay. before it went to fuse box (where constant doesnt work now - it was an unfuse port on the fuse panel - said clock. havent found a fuse associated with it, i am SURE it is something simple, if i could get that to work, i think the prob has a better chance of going away by getting the source farther from the antenna).

I will try to check my grounding. Should I do an ohm test on the ground?
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Forget the multimeter. It wont work for the type of freqs you are looking at. We use something called a network analyzer to run it here. That radio case needs a ground as short as posible to the chasis. Power could be an issue if it is routed near any of the heavy current lines used to power the ignition system under the hood. You are better off if you can find that lead from the old radio harness. If not then make sure the routing of the power wire stays more than 3 inches away from any of the heavy current lines under hood and in the instrument panel. The in line noise surpression is built into most of the radios and is usually at least 60dB of in line noise surpression. It might not be enough and the additional surpression might be needed depending on how much noise is picked up on the power feed. The cylinderhead ground also does a good job of eliminating noise in the AM band.
Is the noise present in the FM band?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

NASTY FM noise. very bad. gotta be power feed. im going udner the jeep again tonight to check grounding and case grounding. I did take a gator clip to a decent ground, and that didnt help the signal, but that gator clip was kinda long, 6ft or more.
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok, grounded the case and grounded the radio ground wire. the noise is is slightly slightly better. not much. i have to buy a noise filter OR go back to my original source feed. nothing was diff from my last install is the source. that is why i have the noise. sucks. i have tried to fix why the fuse panel doesnt have constant 12V. all fuses in Power Dist box are legit. all fuses are legit in small fuse box. what is left to get that constant working?

the noise filter is my only other solution. ground is all good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.