New to my '89 YJ, Looking for Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to my '89 YJ, Looking for Suggestions

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockJK 3" Lift Kit w/ 4 FlexArms! GREAT DEALS here at RocTeraFlex TJ 4" Lift Kit!! WANT A DEAL?!

Unread 04-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
djack09

New to my '89 YJ, Looking for Suggestions

Afternoon Friends!
I bought an '89 YJ 4.2 IV6 Islander in August, but wanted to make it through the winter before I started working on her. It's pretty bare-bones on the aesthetic stuff, but I'm working on it, (just bought new handles, mirrors, center console, seat covers, etc.).

My first question for you seasoned Jeep Life veterans, is in regards to the gauges.

Pretty much every gauge in the center cluster is shot, and needs to be replaced. Is there a place that I can get decent quality on the cheap, or is it better in the long run to buy the good stuff up front?

I'm new to this and learning as I go, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

-D

djack09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Better look at your motor again. I'm guessing it's not a V

Buy cheap, get cheap.

I'm sick of buying garbage and being disappointed. But that's me. What does that mean the gauges are "shot"
Unread 04-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The gauges can usually be fixed with a good cleaning or at worst replacing the printed circuit board behind them. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
djack09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Better look at your motor again. I'm guessing it's not a V

Buy cheap, get cheap.

I'm sick of buying garbage and being disappointed. But that's me. What does that mean the gauges are "shot"

Force of habit putting in the V, I6*

The fuel gauge sits at full for about half of a tank, then jumps straight to half, then sits there until it goes down to almost empty, no other movement on it.
Oil pressure and battery gauges don't work at all, no movement from the needle. Clock is actually missing from the cluster.

The second comment has a pretty detailed cleaning regiment that I'll give a shot, but if not, where is a decent place to buy gauges from if need be?
Unread 04-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
djack09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
The gauges can usually be fixed with a good cleaning or at worst replacing the printed circuit board behind them. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/
Thanks for the tutorial! I'll give it a shot.
Unread 04-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djack09 View Post
Force of habit putting in the V, I6*

The fuel gauge sits at full for about half of a tank, then jumps straight to half, then sits there until it goes down to almost empty, no other movement on it.
Oil pressure and battery gauges don't work at all, no movement from the needle. Clock is actually missing from the cluster.

The second comment has a pretty detailed cleaning regiment that I'll give a shot, but if not, where is a decent place to buy gauges from if need be?
A place to see everything in one place and decide what will work best for you is e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ondition=3%7C4

Whether you buy on ebay or not, it has everything from complete aftermarket kits with new bezels, to used individual gauges in one place to compare. (clock?) if you like the stock look.
There are even digital replacement gauges. ($$$)
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...rder=Ascending

Look at what different people have done

http://www.google.com/search?q=digit...w=1024&bih=643

That's why I love Jeeps. There are so many possibilities. What do you like?

Yes, do the cleaning as detailed above. You may have a bad sending unit in the tank.

If you just want gauges that work for the least money that are decent (After cleaning) replace the individual guages with used ones from a junkyard or e-bay.

How about a pic of your Jeep? Welcome here too.
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
Mediceagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That thread was awesome. Thank you I plan to follow it the next warm day.
Mediceagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Egauges.com is where I buy a lot of Autometer gauges from. I think the last set came from Jegs though.
Problem with Ebay is warranty. It is a LOT easier to get warranty on an item from a store with excellent customer service. Jegs, Summit, etc all are well known for their no hassle warranty policies.
I always just junk the stock gauges. They are a guess at best, and downright wrong the rest of the time.
Cant go wrong with any Autometer gauge and the appropriate sender unit.

Martin
1994 YJ, 4.3/700R4/OME SOA, etc
Western Star 4900EX 4 axle.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jegs selling autometer gauges on EBAY?
Say it ain't so.

http://stores.ebay.com/JEGS-High-Per..._sid=174330373
Unread 04-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
reeveskd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have an '89 4.2L I6 YJ myself, and just replaced all of the center gauges.

When I purchased it, my fuel gauge exhibited EXACTLY the same behavior as you're describing. The Autometer fuel gauge works perfectly and I did not need to do anything with the tank / fuel sending unit, so I believe it was just the gauge. I've also read here that cleaning the copper contacts and printed circuit board work terrifically for returning most things to working order, but I did want to do a complete replacement. I had a brief weird situation with my oil pressure gauge leaping about a bit, but it only did it for a few days, and now works great with the OEM oil pressure sending unit. I also did not replace the water temperature sending unit. Just replacing the gauges put everything back right as rain.

I did all of my gauge shopping on eBay. Using a major Jeep outfitter's retail prices, the two gauge clusters and all seven gauges would have been $907.33, but by using eBay, I paid $623.93 for absolutely everything. 100% of the items I got from eBay were new, in-package, and worked perfectly. Just be careful and you should be okay and save a bunch.
reeveskd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^ looks good too.
Unread 04-19-2015, 11:45 PM   #12
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

replacing the fuel gauge prolly wont fix your problem.. that is a sending unit issue... the sending unit is stuck at full until it is 'sitting' in air, and then if you bump/bounce or something then the fuel gauge will drop down into the fuel, or whatever it is that it is stuck on.

there are some video's out there that show you what is going on.. basically, there is a plastic box inside the fuel tank that the sending unit sits in.. it is supposed to keep the sending unit from sloshing up and down but, what happens after a couple decades, that plastic box things starts to deform into something that does not look like a box anymore.. and then the sending unit gets stuck on the edge of the box thingy...

the FIX is to empty the tank and remove the sending unit and yank that plastic box thing out.. thats it... then your fuel gauge will work like it is supposed to...

as for the other gauges.. it is really easy... a few screws and you can remove that entire panel... there is a great chance that the flexible circuit board is destroyed... burnt up... the plastic is probably brittle, just like that plastic boxy thing inside your fuel tank...

the clock is always HOT, with 12v... so when removing and installing that panel, it is a great idea to take the positive battery cable off the battery.. if you don't you will probably short the clock connection to the dash frame... I used plastic dip, (in the jar), to cover that screw.. but I always remove the battery cable now..

you can try to fix that flexible circuit board.. all it is are copper traces to make connections from the wire harness to the gauges... if the traces are broken, you can try to solder wire from a good trace , across the break, to the other side, bascially, bridging the gaps where they are broken.

or you can spend the $80 for a new flexible circuit board.

this was my first project... I got my dash working 100%... I replaced the dash lights with led's... got the cigerette lighter working so I can charge my phone while driving...

I needed my temp gauge working and my gas gauge... and oil pressure.... I needed them all...

anyways. good luck
Unread 04-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #13
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have also done the Autometer gauge replacement on my 89; almost, if not, the exact same setup as reeveskd. I rewired the gauges too, and did not re-use or purchase a new ribbon cable. Sorry, cannot find any pics, but they duplicate reeveskd anyways

When I redid my 91's gauges, I purchased a new ribbon cable and the gauges all work as expected; even the clock works now!

You can go either way and it depends on your comfort level with wiring, but the stock gauges do work when the ribbon cable and sending units are functioning.

You have received good advice on cleaning up the ribbon cable first. It may surprise you.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #14
djack09

Great suggestions guys, thanks for the input. I think I have a plan A, B and C now, lol.
Unread 04-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I also just get the new center panel and fit gauges to every YJ I swap motors in. It is so much easier than tracing wires, and still be stuck with semi accurate gauges for temp and oil pressure.
Takes money but the end result is always worth it IMHO.
Here is the gauge panel
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12500_220.htm

Martin
1994 YJ, 4.3/700R4/OME SOA, etc
Western Star 4900EX 4 axle.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.