New muffler woes, 500$ for a stock muffler?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New muffler woes, 500$ for a stock muffler?!?!

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
geoffgarcia
1995 YJ Wrangler 

New muffler woes, 500$ for a stock muffler?!?!

Hey all! I brought my '95 Wrangler 4L to a local chain mechanic because I have a hole in my muffler. They told me that the replacement muffler from Chrysler costs500$ + about 100-150$ for install.

In the meantime I've been looking over parts on quadratec and see that the most expensive one they even sell is only like 200$.

So what gives? Is the mechanic trying to jip me?

Regardless, should I bother with a stock muffler or should I go with a Dynomax UltraFlow (93$ w/ 2 clips)

geoffgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
pezley69
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, who knows what a "jeep" muffler really costs but it does seem pretty crazy....I would do an aftemarket. No reason what so ever to use the $500 one.
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go with aftermarket. I just did my whole exhaust from Quadratech for $275 shipped. It got here in 2 days.
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
libertyRubicon

yeah i got mine from Q-tech it was 350 for entire cat back system
89YJ GONE
88XJ GONE
libertyRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

YOUR MECHANIC NEED HIS HEAD EXAMINED AND HIS *** KICKED!!!

That is OUTRAGEOUS for a stinken muffler. You can go down to the local auto parts store and get a muffler from dynomax and clamps for $60 I got the best stainless steel one they had in a high flow muffler for my Volvo and it was like $80. Here in CT the labor rate is $77/hr. If that shop cant install a muffler in an hour, you need to find a new mechanic. Hell,,,,if you lived around me,, I would install it for you!!!
Look for a private shop that needs the work and will do it for you for something reasonable. Get the parts at a discount auto parts store or on the INTERNET, take the jeep to them and see how much it will cost to install it. Thats your best option!!

I have a Vette and frequent the Vette forum a LOT! We have modification parties here in CT all the time. 5-10 of us get together at someones house and help each other with our cars. I'm new to the Jeep world but am ready to jump with BOTH FEET!! So,,,if you live in the North East,,you have an open invination to plan a mod party and I will be there!!!

I'm doing a frame off on my 92. I have a complete 91 for parts!! I cant wait till it's on the road!!
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

$500...for a muffler?

Thats the most retarted thing I have heard in awhile. Just get an aftermarket one...or even just an ol' fashion glass pack?
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

just order a replacement exhaust and install it yourself....

or go to a muffler shop with a $20 autozone special and have them weld it. probably charge you $20-$40 to weld it on.

or you could buy a couple $3 clamps and install it yourself assuming you have a hacksaw to cut off the old one....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
CrazyHorse

Had my local muffler shop put in a new exhaust system from the exhaust manifold back. Muffler and tubing installed was $75 total. Used the existing cat.

For $500 that must be one of those OEM Gold Plated Mufflers!!
'95 YJ 4.O, Auto, A/C, Hardtop, SOA, 1.5" RE Reverse Eye Springs, Rancho 5000's, Steel Beadlocks, 36x13.50 IROK's, D44 Front, Highsteer, D60 Rear with Disc Brakes, Front and Rear Detriot Lockers, 4.88's, TeraFlex ESS SYE, Rear CV DS, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, CB, Firestick Antenna
CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
coachchuck
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK the mech is one of 2 things.
Assuming the best he doesn't know what he is talking about and doesn't want to lose money so he is over charging.
Or 2 he know what he is talking about and is over charging.

I have no problem with someone making money at what they do. If they don't they can't buy groceries.
But I would walk away from this one unless that is the entire exhaust system from the block to the tail end. Then the price in not bad. But for a muffler it is high.
coachchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is totally out of line. Besides, if you're offroading much, who wants that kind of money in something that has a big rock target painted on it?

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
jipjip

chill out guys, learn the facts before blowing up at this tech....... i am a tech myself, and it pisses me off when people freak out about stuff when they don't know the facts. the "muffler" from chrysler is not just a muffler.....it's the whole piece from the muffler back to the tail pipe. the dealer wants almost $400 for this piece. then about an hour for installation.... that sounds about right. of course their are cheaper options. but the tech is only doing his job, and dealing w/ original equipment parts. aftermarket stuff is cheaper, but won't last as long, so in the end, he was only looking out for you!!!!
be my guest and buy the aftermarket stuff....that's what i did, b/c i know i will be ripping it off on rocks all the time while wheeling, so their's no point to me buying the expensive stuff, but don't freak out at the mechanic for doing his job!!!!!
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #12
DrlSgt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

$101.95 from the cat back installed. The muffler has a lifetime warrenty and the pipes have one year. It took them only 35 minutes to do the job.
I'm happy with it.

DrlSgt
Red Jeep Club member #371
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #57
DrlSgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
Jeepinjon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thrush muffler from Advance Auto= $20
Tail pipe from same store= $20
Use a recipricating saw or hack saw and cut the muffler from the cat and make it a little easier on yourself and cut the tailpipe off behind the muffler too. Raise the Jeep up so you can snake the new tail pipe over the trac bar or sway bar, whatever it is. clamp it in. You're out $40 plus tax and an hour of your time.
Jeepinjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your mechanic is nuts. Midas will put on a lifetime stock OEM muffler for about $135. I priced it yesterday.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
blb_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

120 for a flowmaster including installation. wouldnt change it for anything
blb_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.