new motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new motor

Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

new motor

got my new motor today. picked up a 4.2L for my 87 yj today off a guy from craigslist for 150 dollars. gunna pop some new rings in it sometime this week and drop it in my jeep. post pictures of it once the rain stops and i get it out of my cherokee.

crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

update, i went to discount auto parts today and ordered new rings, rod bearings, and a top end gasket set. 150 bones later it will all be here friday and ill start tearing the motor down. engine will be on the stand this afternoon and i will take pics
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

got some pics

got a carb with the motor. guy said its a webber but i have no rightly clue. can anyone chime in and tell for sure?

Unread 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a ball hone to break the glaze in the bores? If not you will be needing one.
That looks like a Weber to me.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I dont have a ball hone but i have a buddy who does thats gunna let me borrow it. after looking at pics i think it is too. just wish i could find out which one it is so i could buy a rebuild kit for it. or do u think id be better off with the holley i have on my other motor?
Unread 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If the holley is well tuned and you know how to keep it sweet I would keep it and sell the Weber.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks you've been a big help. just by curiosity, do you have a thread on your stroker? im really interested in how it was done, i have a spare 4.2 sitting around now
Unread 06-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
got some pics

got a carb with the motor. guy said its a webber but i have no rightly clue. can anyone chime in and tell for sure?

love your sig! That looks more like a Holley to me, but if it is a weber, it's stamped. Anything all all pressed in?
Unread 06-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks! i got it from the you might drive a yj thread! its definetly not a holley, if it is they made too completely different ones about that size, i have a holley here along with another crappy little carb. ive checked up and down this carb and cant seem to find anything stamped in it. got some free time tomorrow and gunna try and clean it up and see if i cant find something.
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

found a stamp on the carb. 34 dgfc??
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
found a stamp on the carb. 34 dgfc??
That's a Weber.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51312_57_07.htm

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you tear the motor down before you ordered the rings and bearings?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

no i diddnt tear it down. i went and picked it up and the guy said it burns a little bit of oil so i figure id do this little bit of work to the motor and ill know what i have in it, its more of a temporary motor, gunna bore out and do a completely fresh overhaul on my other motor
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

update, tore the motor down today after work. pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, and cylinder walls all look good. the bad, i have an exhaust valve stuck on my number 3 cylinder, whick bent one of my push rods. so options as of right now. valve job at the local machine shop and complete overhaul on the valvetrain including a new cam and lifters; buy a new head for 260, or do the 4.0 head swap. any ideas?
Unread 06-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

new update. pulled the original motor out of the yj today. tomorrow im gunna break it down for storage and steal a pushrod from it, maybe the cam depending on what it looks like.
pulling the old one

outside the jeep

both of my girls together

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.