Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

new member with some ?'s

667 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  93jeepyj2.5 
#1 ·
hello

i am wanting to purchase a yj and have the funds to do it. i want to lift it and run maybe 33's, but after reading from a couple of sites i am having second thoughts on this. would i have to buy a sye tcase lowering kit different axles, gears, etc. i really want a jeep for my daily driver but not if i have to sink a lot of money just for a small lift on some 33's. what is the best year model yj to look for? do all come stock with the same axles or is there a certain model i need to look for? thanks for the help

cade

#2 ·
cadem said:
hello

i am wanting to purchase a yj and have the funds to do it. i want to lift it and run maybe 33's, but after reading from a couple of sites i am having second thoughts on this. would i have to buy a sye tcase lowering kit different axles, gears, etc. i really want a jeep for my daily driver but not if i have to sink a lot of money just for a small lift on some 33's. what is the best year model yj to look for? do all come stock with the same axles or is there a certain model i need to look for? thanks for the help

cade
Ok... First things first. It would be recommended that you get a SYE/CV drive shaft to eliminate some drive line vibs caused by bad angles. I run a 4" suspension lift and have the Transfercase lowering kit on there and I have NO VIBS at all... Its really a personal preference on the gears. I would recommend you get the 6Cyl (4.0L) when you purchase one. The Axles(stock) are Dana 30 Front(D30) and Dana 35 Rear(D35). and the gears will be either 3.07 or 3.73(I THINK, someone correct me if Im wrong). As far as the best year YJ to get. I would say 92-95, 6cyl... The 92+ are fuel injected and have the Full Family Rollcage. Alot of people will tell you that the 94-95 are the better ones, they are newer and have upgraded U-joints(same as a Dana 44 U-joint, X297 I believe...) I am sure someone else will repky to you and give maybe alittle more information...
HTH
AA

#3 ·
welcome to the forum cadem.

i suppose ill answer the easiest question first: the best model year? well that can be debated, even though theres little difference between years. (mainly just the roll cage, and fuel injection that was added in 92) so my answer would be to find a 92-95, preferably 95. blue books gettin pretty low on them, and theyre still relatively new. there are two types of stock axles on a YJ, the d35 and the d35c... honestly i cant really remember what the C is, i think its just positraction. someone correct me if im wrong. they all have d30s up front. if you plan on runnin 33s youll be lookin at 4 inches of lift. you can do that how you please. my votes for straight up suspension, but if you wanna go halfsies with some body lift, that works too. the major problem alot of us here run into with 33s is lack of power. if you can, fing a jeep with the 4.0. with the 2.5L running 33s, you can kiss 5th gear goodbye and your speed is variable dependant on the direction of the wind. (no wind, flat terrain, i can hit 75 in 4th gear) some talk of regearing, but thats just silly. your acceleration will become so low that itll take 2 hours to hit your top end, and still the 4popper will be straining. so yeah, look into finding the 6 cylinder. as to the lowing of the xfer case im not sure bout that. i bought my baby with the lift on there, so im still not sure if the transfer case has been lowered. i dont THINK so, but most of these kits on the market are supposed to include everything you need to complete the lift. as to the SYE, you really dont need that for a daily driver, unless you plan on wheeling the hell out of it on the weekends or somthin... so yeah

welcome
:D

#6 ·
Re: thanks for the help

cadem said:
what kind of gas mileage should i expect to get with a 4.0 with 33's? thanks for the fast replys.

cade
Gas Mileage? What's that...

I'm Only kiddin... with my 4cyl and 33s, I get around 12MPG. Mostly city driving with little freeway use... Its kinda of a toss up...

LoOpy, Just for the record... I type somewhat fast;) :p :D

#7 ·
In my 4.0L 93YJ, with 33" rubber, I am getting a little over 12 mpg...but I'm learning to be easy on the pedal with the jeep. Thats all city driving.
As of this point, I am not running a "lift kit" yet(still deciding on which one) I have put extended shackles on for the time being.

#8 ·
hey the 91s were fuel injected, but they have the old style roll bar

in mine I have the 4.0 with a high flow exhaus and intake and I get 15mph in town running 32s

#9 ·
UglySkunk said:
hey the 91s were fuel injected, but they have the old style roll bar

in mine I have the 4.0 with a high flow exhaus and intake and I get 15mph in town running 32s
Yep. I just combined the 92-95 because of the roll bar... But 91s were also fuel injected...

#10 ·
I have a 95' with a 4" suspension lift and 33 x 12.50 pro comp mud terrains and I get about 14 or 15 mpg's with a 4.0. It doesn't seem to matter if it's highway driving or city. But city here is only a couple of stop lights. I do not have the SYE kit as of now and I have never had any vibs. Eventually though, if you want to do some more serious wheeling, the SYE and CV is a good idea. That can come later though if you don't have the cash right now. I'm really happy with my set up right now, I drive on the pavement the majority of the time. I only wheel once or twice a month at this time. If you're worried about gas mileage you could try an 11.50 or smaller width tire. I'm not sure but I think a wider tire really cuts the aerodynamics down. But then again, what's an aerodynamic jeep look like? Never seen one. Keep looking and good luck. Be patient, I was, and now am a very happy jeep owner.;)

#12 ·
RCHavok797 said:
My 91 4.0L came with 3.55 gears so there are actually three different gearing options for the 4.0L.
Thanks for the heads up RC...

#13 ·
LoOpY said:
welcome to the forum cadem.

There are two types of stock axles on a YJ, the d35 and the d35c... honestly i cant really remember what the C is, i think its just positraction. someone correct me if im wrong. :D
Some people think the C is for "C Clip" but it is not. The C is for Custom because they are shipped without the Ring and Pinion. DC adds the R&P depending on the model of jeep.
(I think that's what I read anyway) :D

#14 ·
moabster said:

Some people think the C is for "C Clip" but it is not. The C is for Custom because they are shipped without the Ring and Pinion. DC adds the R&P depending on the model of jeep.
(I think that's what I read anyway) :D
HMMMM.......I always thought that the "C" stood for C-clip too???

Where did you find this info?

-Heath

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.