new member, new to me jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new member, new to me jeep

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

superlift doesn't make a 4 inch lift, however they have a 3.5 heavy duty and light duty as well as a 2.5 inch lift. Good luck man it looks like a better start than mine was, well less rust atleast haha

PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
Claymonster
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
good luck with that roll bar! i just did mine on sunday, and if you had problems getting the seat bolts out youre going to have a hell of time getting those ones out. overall the jeep looks good, great place to start
thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
superlift doesn't make a 4 inch lift, however they have a 3.5 heavy duty and light duty as well as a 2.5 inch lift. Good luck man it looks like a better start than mine was, well less rust atleast haha
good info, thanks
Claymonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #18
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

for the roll bar an electric Impact works wonders....

Old Man Emu makes a 3.5" 36R HD spring as well, I run them on my SOA, awsome spring, recommend to everyone. whcih you may have, if you do I would not swap them for nothing, anything you get is inferior to them, if they are, count the leafs, 5 is the 36 HD 3.5" lifts, the 14F are the HD 2.5" lifts, either is GREAT, I changed from 14 to 36 when I did SOa, needed stiffer springs for SOA

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
for the roll bar an electric Impact works wonders....

Old Man Emu makes a 3.5" 36R HD spring as well, I run them on my SOA, awsome spring, recommend to everyone. whcih you may have, if you do I would not swap them for nothing, anything you get is inferior to them, if they are, count the leafs, 5 is the 36 HD 3.5" lifts, the 14F are the HD 2.5" lifts, either is GREAT, I changed from 14 to 36 when I did SOa, needed stiffer springs for SOA
giggity...it is actually listed as their 2.5" lift...OME doesn't make a 3.5" for the YJ. I have 36 in the rear and 14 in the front also.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #20
Claymonster
1993 YJ Wrangler 

*small update*

Got the heep to my shop, removed the destroyed spiders and removed what was left of the front fenders, got a new front clip ordered, and got a new steering gear box on order this one is making quite a mess

Unread 08-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those gears were chewed! Where are you working on it? I definitely have garage envy.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #22
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

nice jeep I second grandboost, we just pulled the rollbar out last night and it wasn't easy getting all those bolts out. Ended up stripping out a few bits then just welded nuts onto them & used sockets. You definately look to be ahead of us in the body department... nice find.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
giggity...it is actually listed as their 2.5" lift...OME doesn't make a 3.5" for the YJ. I have 36 in the rear and 14 in the front also.
then your nose diving..... I had the same setup, I ws nose diving a good inch.... I have since put the 36 under the front and it is level again, when measuring the 36 are higher by almost an inch.. they dont advertise them like this but they are....

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
Unread 08-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #24
Claymonster
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Those gears were chewed! Where are you working on it? I definitely have garage envy.
i leased a nice little place about 1/2 mile from my house, completely dumb luck that i found it but its great for a toy box, we can comfortably fit 3 vehicles in it at the same time plus there a storage room about 2/3 the size of the "work room"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk76 View Post
nice jeep I second grandboost, we just pulled the rollbar out last night and it wasn't easy getting all those bolts out. Ended up stripping out a few bits then just welded nuts onto them & used sockets. You definately look to be ahead of us in the body department... nice find.
thanks .... thats actually a good idea for removing the roll bar bolts, i might use it
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #25
Claymonster
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another small update got the rest of the front clip off, got the steering gear box off and ran into a few issues as usual when you by a cheap woods beater and try to make it a daily driver. The drag link end wouldn't come out of the pitman arm so i had to remove the gearbox with the drag link still connected, i'll have to take it to work and seperate it, both power steering lines connected to the box appeared to have been hit and kinked and while removing the both broke, Then i found the bracket for the front panhard bar only half connected, i'm sure it just another one of the surprises I am in store floor haha ..... thanks for looking, I am going to be painting both inside and out once i get it mechanically sound looking for suggestions, I think i am going to do the interiorand bars in hammered grey and possibly a satin black for the exterior

Unread 09-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

you need to just take that track bar off all together you don't need it what so ever and if the rear track bar is still on you should ditch that to!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
Claymonster
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
you need to just take that track bar off all together you don't need it what so ever and if the rear track bar is still on you should ditch that to!
what will this do to my drivability?
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #28
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

With the track bars removed, you won't feel every little pebble in the road because of it being transferred from the axle to the frame. CJs and pickup trucks with leaf springs don't have track bars and they drive just fine. If there is too much movement on the road, put your sway bar back on with quick disconnects so that you can remove it for wheeling.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
With the track bars removed, you won't feel every little pebble in the road because of it being transferred from the axle to the frame. CJs and pickup trucks with leaf springs don't have track bars and they drive just fine. If there is too much movement on the road, put your sway bar back on with quick disconnects so that you can remove it for wheeling.
agree I run SOA on 3.5" springs and lift shackles and NO tracks and NO sway...

the track makes 0 difference other then its a nicer smoother ride..... the sway bar is what stops the roll motion you feel, if you dont like it, put it back on with disconnects, once I got used to it I rather like it now, I dont mind it at all even at highway speeds.... drive accordingly I say

Unread 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #30
Claymonster
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.