New to lifts, have some concerns. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to lifts, have some concerns.

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved d

Unread 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's probably most of your issue, those shackles are ridiculous and are screwing up you steering angles, namely caster.

In fact, standby, I see youre in Tucson. I may have some shackles in the garage.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a pair of 1/2" booms you can have it you'd like. PM if you'd like to swing down and grab them.

Jerrod

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Very kind of you jerrod.
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You know I was wondering if they were a bit too long, it was a ***** lining up the front axle of the centering pins. Do the boomerangs allow for more flex? Sure ill take them if they help. Thanks man. That's awesome of you!
rlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

My booms were the answer to the stock shackles not cycling very well. Take it for a ride and flex it on each corner it might just level out.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What do boomerang shackles do exactly?
rlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlloyd View Post
What do boomerang shackles do exactly?
Boomerang shackles are suppose to prevent shackle inversion. They also allow clearance of spring from rear crossmember when flexxed out.
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Get rid of those shackles.
^^^^ this

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Let us know when you get the booms in! That should get rid of this headache.

On to the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #25
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13

Boomerang shackles are suppose to prevent shackle inversion. They also allow clearance of spring from rear crossmember when flexxed out.
They also help clear the front bumper too. And yea by the picture, the one side looks like its inverted in more than the other. IMHO I hate longer shackles. I'm currently running them on my XJ and can't wait until I have the funds to go full 4.5" leafs instead of 3" with shackles
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoglitch View Post
They also help clear the front bumper too. And yea by the picture, the one side looks like its inverted in more than the other. IMHO I hate longer shackles. I'm currently running them on my XJ and can't wait until I have the funds to go full 4.5" leafs instead of 3" with shackles
Do stock shackles really have the linear travel required for a 4.5" lift spring to flatten out?

All I can imagine is that you will gain a stiffer spring to increase lift, with worse articulation due to stiffness and such a short swing in the stock shackle.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #27
Sycoglitch
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork

Do stock shackles really have the linear travel required for a 4.5" lift spring to flatten out?

All I can imagine is that you will gain a stiffer spring to increase lift, with worse articulation due to stiffness and such a short swing in the stock shackle.
Extended shackles are good for aftermarket longer leaf springs, at least for my xj. Stock leafs are shorter and the extended shackle runs at 90*. This is my current set up to date. New stock style leafs, 3" zone AAL (since leafs were new I went with this for now), shackle relocator bracket and terraflex extended shackle. I get good flex out of them but my rear end is out of alignment especially running without a rear sway. At least with aftermarket leafs, the stiffness compensates for The lack of the sway bar.

And also, you can run smaller extended shackles to get flex and not stretch them so much
01' Limited I6, C8.25, D30, NP231, 3" Zone AAL Lift, Extended Shackles and relocators, Hella H4 E-code headlights w/ HD Wiring Harness, Fully Swayless, Front JKS Disco'd when needed, 60mm Bored TB, IRO LCA, Rear Disc Conversion
Sycoglitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.