Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New to lifts, have some concerns.

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Sycoglitch 
#1 ·
I just finished installing my 2.5 inch Rubicon Express lift, and have a few concerns. it looks like the left side of the vehicle is about 1 inch lower than the right side. Could this be due to improper alignment? Or could it also be that the front shackles are slightly angled inwards as well. Is this something that will settle with time, or with an alignment? There is no death wobble, that i can feel at about 35-40 miles an hour, does that occur at higher speeds? Where should i go for an alignment, the local auto repair, or should i take it somewhere like 4wheelparts?

#3 ·
Really? I know the allignment is off, I'm definately going to get that done on Monday. but is there anything I should do to the steering components. I'm totally new the lifts, btw. I didn't touch anything of the steering components. Is there Anything I should do? I also have the sway and track bar off. Wanted to run sway bar discos but can't get the bolts that hold the links to the track bar in. The bushings keep it from seating in even with a hammer whack. Any type would be helpful.

#5 ·
There are only two things you can do on a YJ for alignment, both can be done without an alignment rack.

Toe in can be set with a tape measure, and the steering wheel center can be done by eye.

That said, did you torque your suspension down properly and with weight on the suspension or with the Jeep in the air?

#14 ·
Well the shots I have are at night, after work. I'll get some better ones in the morning. Lemme show you what I do have. I'm not sure the length on the shackles. They were on The jeep when I got it. But they are at least 6 inches long.

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tire

There's a pic before wheels were on. What else you want to know?

#16 ·
That's probably most of your issue, those shackles are ridiculous and are screwing up you steering angles, namely caster.

In fact, standby, I see youre in Tucson. I may have some shackles in the garage.

#25 ·
jeepyj13 said:
Boomerang shackles are suppose to prevent shackle inversion. They also allow clearance of spring from rear crossmember when flexxed out.
They also help clear the front bumper too. And yea by the picture, the one side looks like its inverted in more than the other. IMHO I hate longer shackles. I'm currently running them on my XJ and can't wait until I have the funds to go full 4.5" leafs instead of 3" with shackles

#26 ·
Do stock shackles really have the linear travel required for a 4.5" lift spring to flatten out?

All I can imagine is that you will gain a stiffer spring to increase lift, with worse articulation due to stiffness and such a short swing in the stock shackle.

#27 ·
imstillatwork said:
Do stock shackles really have the linear travel required for a 4.5" lift spring to flatten out?

All I can imagine is that you will gain a stiffer spring to increase lift, with worse articulation due to stiffness and such a short swing in the stock shackle.
Extended shackles are good for aftermarket longer leaf springs, at least for my xj. Stock leafs are shorter and the extended shackle runs at 90*. This is my current set up to date. New stock style leafs, 3" zone AAL (since leafs were new I went with this for now), shackle relocator bracket and terraflex extended shackle. I get good flex out of them but my rear end is out of alignment especially running without a rear sway. At least with aftermarket leafs, the stiffness compensates for The lack of the sway bar.

And also, you can run smaller extended shackles to get flex and not stretch them so much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.