New life for a neglected YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New life for a neglected YJ

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 02-28-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
jeepsurf
1998 TJ Wrangler 

New life for a neglected YJ

I've bought a YJ thats been sitting for 6 years. (pics on 2nd page) I'm getting ready to start it this weekend. I've changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air, oil, and fuel filters. I've changed the oil, coolant, dropped the gas tank and cleaned it out. The engine turns by hand so I think I'm good. Have I forgotten anything? Or any recommendations?

1990 2.5 YJ / 1997 2.5 TJ

USAF VET

My YJ build thread HERE.
Nightcrew alive and well, now on VB 4.0 HERE.
Food mailed 3ooo milesHERE.

Last edited by jeepsurf; 03-01-2008 at 11:21 AM..
jeepsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
That1guy
2007 WK 

Pictures are nice
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
pacodelahoya
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Diffs, tranny, transfer case, wheel bearings.

Do they have AA for Jeeps?
pacodelahoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
Diffs, tranny, transfer case, wheel bearings.
. also break out your grease gun and you really should look at those brakes. They prolly should just get replaced all around.

Also, take a look at your clutch res. and brake fluid res.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
. also break out your grease gun and you really should look at those brakes. They prolly should just get replaced all around.

Also, take a look at your clutch res. and brake fluid res.
Defiantly, going is great, but stopping is better.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

another good thing to look at is to make sure all of the hoses are not dry rotted a lot of this stuff goes overlooked. I've seen them blow up after being stored for so long. The person forgot to look at dry rotted hoses.
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
jeepsurf
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My objective for now is to get it started. I've got lots to do before I drive it. I'm gonna change the trans, tc, and diff fluids. The drum brakes (hardware) was so rusted the wheels wouldnt turn. When I took off the driveshaft, the caps and needle bearings came off, so I guess I'm buying new Ujoints. I've held off on the trans and TC fulid due to the PO said he parked it cause he thought there was a problem w/ the clutch slave. I'ma get it running and go from there. I guess this will become my offical build thread

USAF VET

My YJ build thread HERE.
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
jeepsurf
1998 TJ Wrangler 

U joint question. I've got a 1990 yj 2.5, np231, with a d35. What size rear ujoint? Will this one work http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_100.htm ?

Does anybody have a link to a write-up for changing ujoints? Or any advice?

USAF VET

My YJ build thread HERE.
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
ZonaWrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsurf View Post
U joint question. I've got a 1990 yj 2.5, np231, with a d35. What size rear ujoint? Will this one work http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_100.htm ?

You've got the carbed 4 banger? Everyone here is gonna tell you ... yank the whole deal. The fuel injected 4 banger is another story, but the 1990 4 banger had a carb ... I've never had one ... just know it's bad.

You might be able to pick up a 4.2L with trans pretty cheap of you look around. Yer talking about a whole new fuel sending system to switch to a 4.0 though.

If you have a broken ujoint, I believe you can upgrade to the largest size available without any issues. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thats the right joint and I think if you do a Google search you can find a how to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsurf View Post

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1990 was TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaWrangler View Post
You've got the carbed 4 banger? Everyone here is gonna tell you ... yank the whole deal. The fuel injected 4 banger is another story, but the 1990 4 banger had a carb ... I've never had one ... just know it's bad.

You might be able to pick up a 4.2L with trans pretty cheap of you look around. Yer talking about a whole new fuel sending system to switch to a 4.0 though.

If you have a broken ujoint, I believe you can upgrade to the largest size available without any issues. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The only issue with larger joints is replacing all the yolks so IMO it's an issue.
Quote:

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No such thing as a carbed 2.5 YJ except in Egypt or Argentina.
CJ's had a carbed Iron Duke 151 CI but not the YJ.
Quote:

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
ZonaWrangler

I just know that in '95 they switched to larger ujoints. Maybe not a direct swap, 95 YJ to 90 YJ but I can't imagine it's hard to make it fit.

Also, I know that my 95 2.5L 4 banger, with a Helix TBS and an AEM Brute Force cold air intake, platinum plugs, Accel wires ... it does 95 MPH on the freeway, and gets 21+ MPG in the summer, in the city, with the AC blasting.

But ... yer talking like $500 in mods, and it still wont be as fast as a 6 cyl.

Far as EFI goes ... the MPG on the 4.0 is not much differnt from the 2.5. Like anything else, it depends how you drive it. Keep your foot out of the pedal.

Point is ... for the pre EFI 4 bangers ... there's nothing you can do with it to make it better besides a carb upgrade or custom exhaust ... and that's a waste.
Unread 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah all you gotta do is change the front and rear diff yolks and get different drive shafts and different yolks for the front t-case outputshaft.
It's not just a matter of putting different joints in as they wont fit in your drive shaft.
It's not worth the trouble, just get the stock one's and don't believe poeple who don't know the facts.
No dis to Zonawrangler but he doesn't understand the dynamics of this stuff.
Quote:
I just know that in '95 they switched to larger ujoints. Maybe not a direct swap, 95 YJ to 90 YJ but I can't imagine it's hard to make it fit.

Also, I know that my 95 2.5L 4 banger, with a Helix TBS and an AEM Brute Force cold air intake, platinum plugs, Accel wires ... it does 95 MPH on the freeway, and gets 21+ MPG in the summer, in the city, with the AC blasting.

But ... yer talking like $500 in mods, and it still wont be as fast as a 6 cyl.

Far as EFI goes ... the MPG on the 4.0 is not much differnt from the 2.5. Like anything else, it depends how you drive it. Keep your foot out of the pedal.

Point is ... for the pre EFI 4 bangers ... there's nothing you can do with it to make it better besides a carb upgrade or custom exhaust ... and that's a waste.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.