new jeepster in the making. PLEASE HELP! =/ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new jeepster in the making. PLEASE HELP! =/

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
scooter1993

new jeepster in the making. PLEASE HELP! =/

Hey there everyone and everyone, I'm looking at getting my first jeep. Mom had an 06 unlimited and now I want one. I'm looking at a few jeeps and I have one question buring a hole through my head gasket.

THE BIG PICTURE...
I found me an 89 yj already set up pretty much where I want to start off. 6 inch lift, 35 wrangler mt/r's with kevlar and the stock 4.0L straight six

THE PROBLEM...
the engine has 114k miles on it already. I know chrysler engines can last a good minute with maintenance done on time and all, but when do yj's start to have serious engine problems?

THE SOLUTION...
This is why I call upon you citezens of jeepforum.com! I would really like to know if I found a gem, a work in progress, or just a bad idea. Any and all help is appreciated! Like I said, I'm new to jeeps and ill take all the help I can get! Thanks much, I can't wait toread your replies!

Sincerely,
Hit-the-ground-running in Ft. Bliss

scooter1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For an 89 114k is low miles. Lots of guys get 200k or more from all three varieties of engines put in the yjs.

Without see pictures and just reading the few details you posted, I am going to say its a bad idea. Would need to really see as many pics as you can get, especially from under the jeep. Gut says its probably going to be nothing but a headache.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The best advise I can offer is to take your time. When I was looking for my Jeep I wanted a low mile unmodified, unmolested stocker. I wanted to do the molesting myself.
That way I could do it my way. My Jeep plan is a long term plan so I didn't mind the wait.
I knew what I was going to do with it and the conditions I have here. Heat, mountains, sand, high speed highways ect. The senate here just approved raising Nevada's speed limit to 85mph. I think Texas has some high speed limits too. The high speed limits along with hilly terrain made a fuel injected 4.0 mandatory.
I spend plenty of time at some huge dunes so that means automatic. Shifting while climbing dunes several hundred feet high is not my idea of pleasure.

Look at your local conditions and make up your own mind what you will need. Try to think of future needs, and seriously consider fuel injection.
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4.2L carbed is in '89s stock. I have one. i wouldn't get it again. get a '91+
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
chefboyardee86
1995 YJ Wrangler 

my father had 3 grand cherokee wich lasted between 450k and 525k km. i sold a yj with a 4.0L at 350k and the 2.5 in my current yj was at 305k when i swaped it for a 4.0 from another yj. the current 4.0 is at 220k. each of my father's gc started to have electrical problems around 450k. all of my yj started to trow wather pumps, alternators and stuff like that at around 200k but no real internal problem.
chefboyardee86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
scooter1993

Thanks all, some really great info here, and I will definately take everything into account while searching for my first jeep!
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1993 View Post
Thanks all, some really great info here, and I will definately take everything into account while searching for my first jeep!
Hold on... How about a price and some pics. And welcome to the forum!
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome aboard!!

As previosly stated; who know what the previous owners have done to it! See my signature line below. That being said, some people make good upgrades and do things properly. This where it boils down to YOU doing good research and inowing what to look out for. Take ALOT of pictures and then ask questions. Research everything so you are an informed consumer. An old body shop owner once told me "Putty and paint will make it what it ain't" and alot of people will hide rsut, rot and all sorts of catastrophes with bondo and paint, bedliner inside the cab and diamond plate outside the body.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
scooter1993

@DirtKar, thanks for the welcome. The guy wants 6500 for this yj. Here is the actual cl ad so you can get the same picture I have...

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3736158286.html

I appreciate the help!
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well its not horrible, but....

It's spring over ( probably on lifted springs). Many times guys cut corners on spring over jobs and make the jeep dangerous. Hard to tell what corners were cut, other than the steering. It should be fixed.

The Dana 35 (I assume is still there as there is no mention to a replacement) won't last long behind 35 inch tires, especially on a jeep that's "perfect for the trails". If you do take it there, be prepared to replace spiders, carrier, axle shafts, axle housing, etc.

It has a Carbed 4.2 i6. They are good mills but the stock carbs can be troublesome. Many guys swap them out, but I am going to assume this one is stock as that is not mentioned.

Shackles appear to be homemade. Not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on the builders skills, or lack there of.

Might have problems with axle wrap with spring over if it has not be addressed. Probably not since it was not mentioned.

Should have a slip yoke eliminator and dc shaft installed with that much lift. Again, probably doesn't since it was not mentioned.

Can't remember what trans it would have, but its earlier so it could be a Frenchie, which don't hold up well, especially with larger tires.

Personally, I might consider buying it, but only because I know what I would be walking into, which could be a lot of work. I also would consider it a project and not a daily driver so I would not be willing to shell out 6500 for it. If I could get it down to 4500 then I think it would be a good deal. I do however feel its probably not a great first jeep and would suggest you look for a 93-95 4.0l yj that has around 100k to 150k miles and not a lot of mods done to it.

Second look... Those might be stock springs, and probably 1inch lift shackles to give the stated 6 inch lift.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
scooter1993

I think your right, and from what everyone says, its probably best to find a later model and do it my own way. They seem to pop up everyday.

Again you all have been a great help, and I will keep on looking for my first jeep. Thanks!
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The price is in line with what I see in GA. Looks like RE 1.5" SOA springs, at least on the front. My concerns would be making sure it doesn't have the Peugeot transmission, or an NP207 t-case. The steering wasn't really addressed properly so a test drive could verify if it handles OK on the street. Take it on a bumpy road and see. Did they install a SYE or do something to address the rear driveline angles? I can't tell from the pics. Also, I would worry about running 35s on a stock rear axle. Maybe he upgraded, but the ad doesn't say so. I'd also put it in 4wd to make sure the gears are the same at both ends. You just never know where someone might cut corners these days.

He does say there is a CIA to I'm curious to know if they might have installed EFI, or if it's just a stock air cleaner w/ a hose running to the grill. For reference, I paid $4200 for the 93 YJ in my signature (Wife's). It doesn't look nearly as nice as this one from the paint and body side, and that's really where most of the YJs I've seen around here get their value. Doesn't matter if it's all stock + a lift and tires. If it looks nice (good paint and decent stance) it's worth $6k min, all day every day.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.