new to jeeps got some questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new to jeeps got some questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
parker88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

new to jeeps got some questions

I just picked up an 88 yj larado 4.2/auto, it has a stiff lift with no flex at all, i think its a rancho, its on 32" tires, im wanting to make a capable street legal trail rig.
My build plan is finding stock springs and doing a SOA swap, SYE, i want to run 35s.
My question is what gearing would i need, and will the axles hold up to 35s?
What lockers should i run?
Im not new to off roading just jeeps. I have owned a fey toyota rockcrawlers.
Any info or tips would be great thanks

parker88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Welocome!
And imo id go through everything. Check for rust. Rust and rust.
If the track bars are on still take them off. If it has been lifted are the brake lines relocated/extended? If not you dont want a brake line becomeing a limiting strap. It wont last long.
Planning on going to 35s you will need to do a rear axle swap. Ford 8.8 is popular there are many wright ups on here about it.

Im not sure about gearing have not delt with that at all...
I have 30 inch tires and 4.10 gearing on the flats i can roll 80.
uphill is slow.
I think some people go to 4.88?
5.13 i have seen on crawler rigs
Or am i going the wrong direction
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
parker88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man, The brake lines are extended, not that it maters with the springs that are on it, they barley move lol. It only has some surface rust on some of the suspension and shocks from driving it on the beach. Ill have to find me a 8.8 i guess, and as far as gearing i used to run 4.88 w/detroits f/r on my old toyota crawler w/36s and duel casses. But i want the jeep to do well on the road and off road, i dont need to cruse at 80 but it would be nice to get there if i needed to
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
parker88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ill try to post up a pic of it
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need to do a lot of reading to set up a SOA jeep correctly. Its quite expensive and entails a lot more than just putting the springs on top of the axle.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
parker88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Iv done solid axle swaps on a few toys, but yea i was planing on doing alot or reserch first, i was also planing on using a more xover steering kit on it, what else should i look out for are drive line issues a problem?
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Crossover may not cut it. You'll need a full high steer to be in control if the vehicle. Custom driveshafts are the norm with the kit for the transfer case that eliminates the stock slip yoke and it isn't a bad idea up front to carry spares. Remember that to successfully run 35's on a Dana 30 you have to invest some money into the axle or something is going to be breaking.
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
parker88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What axle would you recomend to replace the front? I want somthing strong and reasanably priced i have a budget of about 5 grand for the whole project right now right now
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You could either look for a Dana 44 from a wagoneer, or upgrade to chromoly axle shafts with a bigger carrier/locker. If you go Wagoneer Dana 44 route it will be 6 lug. If youre gonna do that I would look for the pair, front and rear. I keep seeing an add on Craigslist for a pair of "70's Jeep truck axles" for $350

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.