New to jeeps: 4.0 TB or 2.5 TB spacer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to jeeps: 4.0 TB or 2.5 TB spacer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-10-2001, 07:58 AM   #1
ichabod

New to jeeps: 4.0 TB or 2.5 TB spacer?

Hi all. Well, the kids are finally emancipated (YES!!) and I decided to treat myself to a toy that I have been wanting for years. I came across a 95 4 banger with 49k, completely stock and NO rust. Probably paid too much (7500), but what the heck. Anyway, like everyone else, I am trying to add a little power (restricter GONE and K&N filter installed in OEM box). It seems the next step would be a TB mod. Can anybody tell me which is better, the 2.5 TB spacer or going with the 4.0 TB? Is the extra $160 for the 4.0 TB worth it? It sounds like either project is something that I can do on my own. Am I right? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

ichabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 08:43 AM   #2
ichabod

Hi Jeep Chic. Try not to get a swelled head, but I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and have read many of your posts. Your signature showing the 4.0 TB on the the 4 banger is what alerted me to the fact that it could done!! I guess that makes you partly responsible. Thanks for the heads up! 4.0 TB--1
2.5 spacer--0
Ichabod
Unread 10-10-2001, 02:38 PM   #3
Pantera

Ichabod... I think you can do both... The spacer AND the throttle body... but you need to get the 4.0 spacer (i think)... A good place to visit for 4-Banger stuff is 4-Bangers United...

Also, I noticed you are from Bellevue... I just moved there from Omaha... Whereabouts do you live???
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 03:12 PM   #4
ichabod

Pantera.. You are correct. You can do both. However, I found out that to get a 4.0 TB i would need to send them my old one, and I need the vehicle to get to work. I went to HPmotorsports and picked up the 2.5 spacer, spent 15 minutes putting it in, and I'm now on the road. You know where I-80 goes uphill near the 84th St exit? I could actually accelerate in 5th. Couldn't do that before. I like your handle. Personally, Pantera SCARES me I live in Tregaron apts, right off Capehart Rd. 4bangersUnited IS a great site. Thanks
Unread 10-10-2001, 03:34 PM   #5
JEEP_TJ_FREAK

Quote:
Originally posted by ichabod:
Pantera.. You are correct. You can do both. However, I found out that to get a 4.0 TB i would need to send them my old one
ho, all you need to do is find a junkyard 4.0L TB and disassemble it. then get a drum sander for a dremel or drill and bore out the id until it is smooth all the way though. reassemble it and use a 4.0L spacer and your done.
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.
JEEP_TJ_FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 03:59 PM   #6
Pantera

Hey, cool... I used to live over that way (in Stonecroft neighborhood)... But, that was 2 wives ago ... Now I live over in Fontainelle Hills Apartments... You wouldn't happen to be in the AF would you???

BTW, you are right, that spacer really does help... I imagine the 4.0 throttle body would do even more wonders...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 05:26 PM   #7
I-4

i'm pretty sure the 2.5 uses the tb spacer as the 4.0.it kinda makes sense because you can bolt up a 4.0 tb directly to a 2.5.the bolt pattern should be the same.the power raid has the funky spiral bore that should help.as pantera suggested try 4bangers-they have write up about both.hth
Unread 10-10-2001, 06:32 PM   #8
4-low

the bore on the 2.5L spacer would be smaller than the bore on the 4L spacer.....best bet, get the 4L spacer AND the 4L throttle body, and voila!!! more power than you ever imagined.......
4-low is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2001, 01:12 AM   #9
yjlizard

Quote:
Originally posted by JEEP_TJ_FREAK:
ho, all you need to do is find a junkyard 4.0L TB and disassemble it. then get a drum sander for a dremel or drill and bore out the id until it is smooth all the way though. reassemble it and use a 4.0L spacer and your done.
How much did you bore?..i have a used TB and i thought about boring it my self, just dont want to do too much?.....

Unread 10-12-2001, 12:49 AM   #10
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by ichabod:
Hi Jeep Chic. Try not to get a swelled head, but I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and have read many of your posts. Your signature showing the 4.0 TB on the the 4 banger is what alerted me to the fact that it could done!! I guess that makes you partly responsible. Thanks for the heads up! 4.0 TB--1
2.5 spacer--0
Ichabod

Does that mean I need to put it in my sig too? I've got both a 4.0L Poweraid TB Spacer and a 4.0L TB. Where are you seeing $160?
Unread 10-12-2001, 11:53 AM   #11
ichabod

Jeffy, the $160 is the approximate difference between the 4.0 TB (200 plus core, which I don't have, and shipping) and the $69 for the power aid 2.5 spacer. None of the u-pull-its around here have the 4.0TB, and I am hesitant to try a dealer. Is there anywhere else that you know of where I could find one? I got impatient and put the 2.5 spacer on already, but if there is somewhere to get a 4.0 TB that I'm not aware of, please let me know. Thanks.
Unread 10-16-2001, 11:00 PM   #12
yjlizard

try...www.bcauto.net
its a junk yard...this is where i got mine..
Unread 10-17-2001, 08:22 AM   #13
ichabod

yjlizard- Thanks for the reply, but I finally found one @ soonerjeep. $50 plus S&H. In fact, UPS just delivered it, and it will be on in 45 min. I got the 4.0 spacer yesterday, so, voila!! problem solved. Many thanks for the help!! I can't believe that a Husker like me would actually do business with a Sooner, but hey, anything for my Jeep!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.