New to Jeeps..??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to Jeeps..???

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 04-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

New to Jeeps..???

Hello everyone. I'm new too the Jeep world, but have been doing my research. I tinker with cars all the time. Currently my toy is a 1968 Camaro with twin turbos. All the fabrication done by me so if something needs to get fixed I can di it most of the time. Now for my question..Someone is selling a CLEAN STOCK 1995 Wrangler, 5 speed, 6cyl with 180K miles on it. Claims pretty much rust free. Shifts perfect and all gauges work. Never bee offroad or modified. My limit on cash is $6500. He's asking $5200. Maybe I could get him to $4200. Is 180K considered a lot for a jeep ( 10K a year) ? Should I pass?

mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new too the Jeep world, but have been doing my research. I tinker with cars all the time. Currently my toy is a 1968 Camaro with twin turbos. All the fabrication done by me so if something needs to get fixed I can di it most of the time. Now for my question..Someone is selling a CLEAN STOCK 1995 Wrangler, 5 speed, 6cyl with 180K miles on it. Claims pretty much rust free. Shifts perfect and all gauges work. Never bee offroad or modified. My limit on cash is $6500. He's asking $5200. Maybe I could get him to $4200. Is 180K considered a lot for a jeep ( 10K a year) ? Should I pass?
my 92 has 206k on it, still goes...

take a peak underneath. the 95's got the best mechanics/ most of the bugs worked out; but no jeep is impervious to rust & gravity...

I'd say jeeps that get road driven and washed underneath last longer than the ones that sit and rot.

check for some wheel gap, if the springs are worn out the wheels will be stuffed up in the wheel wells like a car, but a lift kit can fix that

edit: his price is a little high, but yeah, if you talk him down a bit, definitely worth it - again, seeing it/pics say a lot
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

He might be a little high, but not ridiculous. Jeeps hold their value like few other vehicles on the road.

With any 15+ year old vehicle, expect a lot of up front maintenance type repairs, and as was stated before, the springs are probably shot and need replacement. If you can get him down to the $4,200-4,500 range, you're doing good. That'll leave you $2,00 for the inevitable repairs/upgrades you're going to have to sink into it.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Just talked to him. He's waiting for the title before he sells it. I think he bought it to sell. I don't like those kind of deals..oh well many more to look at. Another question.. I see a TON of 4 cylinder 1995-2000's by me. My friend said DONT get a 4 banger. Is the tranny and motor really that weak? If anything I would plan like a 2.5" lift and 31-33's. No beach or offraod use. I have a Dodge ram Hemi 4x4 for that. This will be used for around town and to and from work 6 miles each way.
mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

a 4 cylinder probably would be fine for a sweet commute like that!

I had a friend with an tj (97+ jeeps), his was a 4 cyl, auto. it bit the dust hard. small motor mated to a heavy trans = bad idea, (I didn't know him that well tho, not sure exactly what went wrong).

If I ever did a 4 cyl, I'd do the Inertia Ring upgrade... theres a link here somewhere for it....

edit: here it is:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/i...p-2-5-a-23919/
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Most prefer the 6 cylinder models thinking they are fatser and more powerful but it is all hype. Yes the 6 is great and I drive a 2.5L TBI in an 89 and it does just fine. BUt me and the YJ are a lot alike slow and getting older. Its a choice you make and live with but there are many great Jeeps available with the 4 cylinder. The drawback comes when you add the bigger tires and don't regear it seems to have lost all power and top speed on the highway. Something to know while you are looking. Reliability is about the same for both and routine preventive maintenance is a must.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Most prefer the 6 cylinder models thinking they are fatser and more powerful but it is all hype. Yes the 6 is great and I drive a 2.5L TBI in an 89 and it does just fine. BUt me and the YJ are a lot alike slow and getting older. Its a choice you make and live with but there are many great Jeeps available with the 4 cylinder. The drawback comes when you add the bigger tires and don't regear it seems to have lost all power and top speed on the highway. Something to know while you are looking. Reliability is about the same for both and routine preventive maintenance is a must.
I've had both the 4 and the 6. While the 4:10 axle gears are great in the 4 angry squirrels, the 6 is MUCH better in road. Off road, the driver has as much to do with performance as the vehicle does.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.