New Jeep Owner! Questions questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Jeep Owner! Questions questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
TP3P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

New Jeep Owner! Questions questions

Hey so I'm new to the forum, N driver, just got my first vehicle which happens to be a 92 YJ. Which I love. Although I've got a few problems which I know little about. Fairly inexperienced so I'm looking for some advice even if my questions are a bit pathetic.

My clutch is fairly new, but after driving it for a couple of days it was hard to get into gear. I couldn't get out of first so when this happened I had to drive home in 1st gear, luckily it wasn't too far. I bled it once and it worked mint for a couple of days but then I had the same problem again. I took it to a family mechanic since I still could drive it somewhat it was just tough tol put into gear and once I hit a stop sign I just have to fiddle with the clutch to get it into gear. We bled it there and he said it could be a leak in a hydraulic or something. So I took it home and it worked for a few days again, but now I'm having the same problem. Has anyone else come across this same problem? My brake fluid in the slave doesn't get too low quickly but after a few days it's a little lower. I'll have to drop the transmission to get to where he think the leak may be.

Also it's kind of cosmetic, but my windshield wipers won't function when set on delay. They have to be set at 1 or 2 to move. Not the biggest problem in the world but it's a bit annoying watching my wipers fly across the windshield when it's just a bit of rain. Will I hhave to replace the whole component to fix this or has anybody been able to discover a quick fix or adjustment with this same problem.

Third inquiry is i've heard some owners with a 4-cylinder have troubles getting up to 100km/h. But I find I have the same problem with my straight 6. Usually when going flat I have to floor it to even get to 90 or so. The only time I can get above 100 is once I hit a bit of a downwards slope. Is this what all Jeeps are like? I wasn't expecting a race car, but hey, better to ask right!

Thanks, like I said, new to the whole Jeep thing. I've been driving the parents Equinox and gotta say I can't imagine buying a car later on after owning my Jeep.

TP3P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My clutch recently did the same thing all at once... turns out I had lost a few bellhousing bolts. Oil level in the transmission will also have an effect. Check both

On the third question my jeep also got the same way, my fix turned out to be a new muffler and a "serviced" catalytic converter. The muffler had actually came apart inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You need to fill out your jeep info so we know what you have.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
DJdave
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the exact same problem with my hydraulic clutch cylinders, I never figured out where it was in the cylinders or line. I just decided to replace the whole assembly.
DJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
MPsoldier
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the clutch is concerned. I had a similar problem on my 92 Ranger. Found out that the clutch master cylinder (slave cylinder) had an internal leak in the seals. It would keep its prime for a few days, but then after a few days it lost it again.
MPsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
TP3P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, MPsoldier that sounds like basically the same thing mine's been screwy with. Krochus does your Jeep have much more pep than it did before you replaced the muffler? How much did you end up putting into it? $9/hour puts me in a bad position here!
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3P View Post
Yeah, MPsoldier that sounds like basically the same thing mine's been screwy with. Krochus does your Jeep have much more pep than it did before you replaced the muffler? How much did you end up putting into it? $9/hour puts me in a bad position here!
oH YEAH!

Night and day diffrence!!! Before mine would run ok up to about 2K RPM past that it wouldn't fall on it's face but at the same time it just had NO torque to carry speed or accelerate with. Now it pulls HARD right up to the redline and is eager to rev above 2k

I did the work myself, a sawzall, a couple clamps, a $22 oriellies muffler, a couple misc reducers and an afternoon.

I'm convinced it was my trashed muffler, which looked good on the outside but everything had come loose on the inside. The cat looked good but got "serviced" none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
TP3P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear that, although I can get up to 100km/h, if I were flat out on a straight stretch I wouldn't be able to get above it ever it would just stay floored. Yours can pass that no problem then?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.