new jeep owner here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new jeep owner here

Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

new jeep owner here

hello all.. I finally bought myself a jeep.. (90 yj)

I will give the short story for background... I haven't had a car for almost three years... I had a bad accident back then, and am kinda gun shy about driving... but, the bus is getting real old... albeit it is very reliable.

I am mechanical but, can't really get around well.. very bad back issues..I dont have many tools as I have sold and given them all away a few years back as they werent getting used...

Anyways, as for the jeep... I bought it off of craigslist for $1400 less then the sellers asking price, of $4500, (I paid $3100)

it is stock but has been worked on by umm, less then professionals all it's life... or so it seems...

lots of cut and spliced wires, lots of missing screws and bolts, lots of cracked hoses, and what is left of those wires and hoses are splayed around the engine and dashboard compartment with so much slack, that they are hanging down all over.

I have had the jeep for one week now and have replaced the breather hose, and filter, (the hose was dangling several inches from the air cleaner and there was no filter in the air cleaner, just a big hole.

I removed the instrument panel/cluster as half the guages don't work, and the ones that do, are reading incorrectly...the circuit board was in bad shape... very bad shape... several copper traces were broken, burnt, and lifted... I found a replacement for $90 but am trying to repair the circuit panel myself.. I have actually fixed it, by cleaning spots on sections of good copper path just before the broken sections, and soldering 22 ga wire in places of the broken circuits... everything checks out with continuity checker, and I went to test it in the jeep tonight but the jeep wouldnt start... hmnn...

it cranks over but doesnt fire.. no fuel? is my gas guage causing me grief? I don't think so, as I filled up the tank last week and have only driven 80 miles (as far as my speedo reports)...Im hoping I get better gas mileage then that?

I did test the dash assembly with just the electric lights on, no motor running, but, the clock didnt run... I see the fuse block way under neath the foot / pedal area, and that is a problem for me to get at.. (bad back)...

I see a spot that says 'clock' but it doesnt look like a fuse can fit into that spot.. is there suppposed to be a fuse? or is it a lug for a wire to come off prior tot he ignition switch that goes to the clock?

I have a bunch of plans for this jeep but am trying to stay within some budget and trying to balance my desire to get it now,...

Im not sure if there are jeep clubs around, where we can meet up 'face to face' or for me to find others in my area... or if there are more 'local' forum, or other forums that you all might suggest??

thanks

bill

bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are tons of huge jeep clubs in your area. Google jeep clubs or forums and so cal or cal.

It sounds like a wire got wiggled loose.
Unread 11-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the So Cal sub section in the wheeling neighborhood. They'll help you out
Unread 11-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Stryfe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're getting any power to the gauge cluster at all, I would start with running the blink codes. that might at least get you into one subsystem where the issue might be
Stryfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what blink codes? I think you maybe referring to the little panel above the steering column? I am not getting any info from that at all... except a fasten seat belt light...

does my jeep have a computer? and is it supposed to be showing more info on that little panel?

is there a list of what my jeep is supposed to have? I guess that would be a manual? hehehe... what differential is on my jeep? front/back?

what is the stock gear ratio, and how can I check what gears I have?

I guess, there must be a way to inspect the equipment and find numbers, but I am not sure where to even start to look for that info... hmm.. I guess I need to do a lot more reading... hehehe...

I will check the other forums, shortly..

btw, I did get the jeep running yesterday, and think it was the electric fuel pump?.. I didnt think it had an electric pump... but, recall the seller telling me about a fuel shut off switch... and then remembered that I relocated a fuse from the heater fan, to the dash.. and thought that maybe someone tapped off the heater fan to power a fuel pump? so, I replaced that fuse back to the heater fan, and the jeep fired right up...

hmm.. if it was an electric fuel pump and I tried repeatedly to get it run without that pump on then wouldnt that mean the carb is empty and a length of fuel line, so that when I powered the pump back on it would take a little bit for it to prime those lines and then the engine will start?

there was no delay when I turned the ign switch..

so, then I buttoned everything back up, and didnt think about it until this AM.. when I went to start the jeep, it fired right up, and after a little warm up, I took off, and the jeep died about 50 ft from it's parking space... and there I was stuck in the middle of my apartment driveway, blocking traffic lane...

damn.. I got it out of the way, and looked at it and again, not firing...

I am very hard of hearing.. VERY... I think I heard a fuel pump or a pump, running (last week when I was driving around town.. but now, I hear nothing....

that isnt unusual for me.. I can't hear a lot of squeeking/squeeling, knocking, etc...

anyways. like all things.. this too shall pass...
bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.