New jeep owner, a couple question on what to do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New jeep owner, a couple question on what to do

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
AaronMitchell

New jeep owner, a couple question on what to do

I just picked up a 87 wrangler, has the I6, not sure what axles or trans but i imagine whatever it came off the line with. Previous owner removed all of the electronics like ecu, distributor and idk if he said elec carb or fuel injection but it now has a manual carb and a points setup.

So my first question is on how to identify the axle's and trans (manual 5 speed)

My next question is what type of fluid does everything take and it's capacities since i want to start off fresh and change everything.

I believe i read it take 10w30 motor oil, i plan to run full synthetic and was wondering if at 150k miles should i be running something a little heavier?

Other than that im going to grease everything up good and ride out

Anything else in particular i should check out or do before i take it out?

Thanks

AaronMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMitchell
I just picked up a 87 wrangler, has the I6, not sure what axles or trans but i imagine whatever it came off the line with. Previous owner removed all of the electronics like ecu, distributor and idk if he said elec carb or fuel injection but it now has a manual carb and a points setup.

So my first question is on how to identify the axle's and trans (manual 5 speed)

My next question is what type of fluid does everything take and it's capacities since i want to start off fresh and change everything.

I believe i read it take 10w30 motor oil, i plan to run full synthetic and was wondering if at 150k miles should i be running something a little heavier?

Other than that im going to grease everything up good and ride out

Anything else in particular i should check out or do before i take it out?

Thanks
First off you have a ba10/5 tranny unless he upgraded to the ax15. Most likely the ba though

For oil You can run a little thicker if You want, I'm going to be running 15w40 when mine gets running again. And I only have 130000 miles on mine.

Check all fluids and most likely change em, differentials, coolant , trans. Fluid,
Blinker fluid, exhaust bearing,etc.......
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
AaronMitchell

Well the blinkers certainly are already full so no worries there, infact might need to drain a little to be on the safe side...

I do remember him mentioning it had an internal slave cylinder and after looking that appears to be the ba10 if i read right.

The big question is how much and what type of fluid do i need to run in the trans, axles, and transfer case. I want to pick everything up in one run since i live so far from town
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
[sic]
Blinker fluid, exhaust bearing,etc.......
QFT
I would do those first
Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMitchell View Post
Well the blinkers certainly are already full so no worries there, infact might need to drain a little to be on the safe side...

I do remember him mentioning it had an internal slave cylinder and after looking that appears to be the ba10 if i read right.

The big question is how much and what type of fluid do i need to run in the trans, axles, and transfer case. I want to pick everything up in one run since i live so far from town
How much is basically you fill it until the fluid comes back out of the hole. I just buy a few in case I need it in the future
6 qts for the engine with new filter

Types from the Haynes repair manual:
T case mercon or dexron II ATF
Differential sae 75/90 GL5 lube
Engine is what you choose plus filter
Coolant is 50/50 water/straight cool ant mix

I don't know what to say about the ba trans. I'm only familiar with the ax5 and aw4. So maybe search that a little.

Hope that helped
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh hey look...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...cities-975974/
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
AaronMitchell

Thanks, I work at a diesel shop and ive got all that in tanks in the back so that makes that a bit easier atleast.

Looks like the trans takes 75w90 according to this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-652142/

THe previous owner said it has a posi rear end so do i need any kind of special friction modifier or additive to put in there with it as well?
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMitchell View Post

Early ax 15s had internal slave
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I believe you do but I don't have that option either!
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
AaronMitchell

I read if you plan to run syn 75w90 you dont need the additive for posi rear ends.

This is what we carry at work in the tanks, Mobil Delvac 75w90 synthetic http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW...oil-75w90.aspx

It says on their site it is not a lsd gear oil, so im assuming i need to add my own. And if so any particular brand(preferable available at an advance auto parts) and how much?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.