New Internal Slave, Clutch still has no pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Internal Slave, Clutch still has no pressure

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
PeterSyz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

New Internal Slave, Clutch still has no pressure

I have a 92 YJ 4.0 with hydraulic clutch. The internal slave cylinder stopped working about a month ago so I pulled the tranny in my driveway. After a while, the slave was replaced and tranny was back in.

A week later (today) I'm getting gas and leaving the gas station, the clutch pedal goes straight to the floor. Fortunately, I pumped it and got enough pressure to get home.
It's leaking fluid from the bell housing and it leaks quite a bit. Its hard to believe that its a bad slave...Anyone think they might be able to help?

PeterSyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

could be a bad slave, or could be the line came loose from the connection to the slave. Are you sure the fluid being leaked is hydraulic fluid and not oil or transmission fluid? If you are sure it is hydraulic fluid (i.e., brake fluid in the clutch assembly) the only way to tell where it is coming from is to pull the tranny again. Sorry for your pain but if you have taken it out once then it isn't that bad doing it again. Make sure that the little pins that hold the lines into the slave are secure when you put it back together again.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's a leaky slave or leaky hose. ^^^ is right, you will have to pull the tranny again. Find out what is leaking and replace as necessary. Sorry for the bad luck, but it does happen to people, bad parts out of the box. If the fluid is dirty, then it's leaking for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its most likely the cutch master cylinder. I had the same problem after my new clutch kit. Replace that and I'm good to go.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
PeterSyz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the clutch master before I replaced the slave because that's what I thought was wrong. Everything from the clutch master to the clutch is new except for the hoses and bell housing. I think I'm just going to pull it again and spend the money to convert to an external slave.
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

What brand slave did you get? Many of the aftermarket units from places like autozone, O'reillys, etc are junk.

OEM, and LUK are GTG.
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91
Its most likely the cutch master cylinder. I had the same problem after my new clutch kit. Replace that and I'm good to go.
Not if its leaking from the bell housing.

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
What brand slave did you get? Many of the aftermarket units from places like autozone, O'reillys, etc are junk.

OEM, and LUK are GTG.
X2

Unread 03-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
WidowYj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post

Not if its leaking from the bell housing.

My slave was leaking from the bell housing also but I didn't fix the pressure loss problem until I replaced the master.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowYj91

My slave was leaking from the bell housing also but I didn't fix the pressure loss problem until I replaced the master.
Your problem was different than the op. Your sc was leaking, you then replaced. Then you discovered that your mc was shot. Your entire hydro system had to be serviced. If the slave cylinder is leaking it will allow air into the system, causing pressure loss. Same with the master cylinder. If there is a leak in the bell housing, it's obviously leaking from the sc. If there is a leak on the firewall, then its the mc. Replace the sc to fix the leak. If the pressure problem persists, there are multiple tests one can do to determine what it is. Don't just jump to throwing parts at it, this will solve nothing. And will be expensive. Plus he already did the mc before.

Unread 04-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
PeterSyz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post

OEM, and LUK are GTG.
Yeah it was a Duralast sc from Autozone. I'm going to the dealership today to see how much they're going to charge for a factory one. If that's crazy, I'll go online to see. And yes, the mc was the first one I changed because it was leaking at the firewall. It was fine for about 3 days until the sc broke.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Tags
clutch , cylinder , slave cylinder , transmission , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.