New here, thought Id show off my 95' build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New here, thought Id show off my 95' build

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
aoudad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

New here, thought Id show off my 95' build

Bought this YJ at the end of Sept. for crawling around the TX hill country and in NM.

Ive replaced the cooling system, new Optima yellow top, Brown Dog MM, RE 2.5" lift with RE 5" greasable shackles, MT signature classicII wheels, 31"x10.5" MTR kevlars, Smitty XRC8 comp winch, Smitty SRC rear bumper, new rotors/pads, few things on the interior..... Next is a SYE for the TC and drive shaft.

Last edited by aoudad; 01-07-2010 at 11:28 AM..
aoudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

just so you know you dont need an sye and drive shaft on that small of a lift. nice yj btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd definitely save that money for the SYE for something else, definitely not needed.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
aoudad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks for the tip!
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep man, that is super clean.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

looking good!
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice clean looking Sahara. It's really hard to find them in that good of condition. I plan on putting a build thread on here once I get the time to snap some pictures and really go into detail about some of the mods I've done. Keep the pics and mods coming .

I know everyone here is telling you to ditch the SYE plans, but I am behind you. The SYE will allow you to remove your t-case drop and pull the skid plate back up where it should be. I had some slight vibes after installing my 2.5", even with the 1" t-case drop. I went with a SYE and TW CV shaft and now everything is butter smooth. It's also just good maintenance, as the slip yoke is one of the weaker parts of the NP231. If you ever break a shaft you don't have to worry about the yoke sliding out an emptying you t-case fluid (making a bad situation worse). Doing the SYE is not a necessity in your situation, but probably a good idea. If you don't have any other more important projects to tackle, it's a good one to take on.

Unread 01-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Nice clean looking Sahara. It's really hard to find them in that good of condition. I plan on putting a build thread on here once I get the time to snap some pictures and really go into detail about some of the mods I've done. Keep the pics and mods coming .

I know everyone here is telling you to ditch the SYE plans, but I am behind you. The SYE will allow you to remove your t-case drop and pull the skid plate back up where it should be. I had some slight vibes after installing my 2.5", even with the 1" t-case drop. I went with a SYE and TW CV shaft and now everything is butter smooth. It's also just good maintenance, as the slip yoke is one of the weaker parts of the NP231. If you ever break a shaft you don't have to worry about the yoke sliding out an emptying you t-case fluid (making a bad situation just a little worse). Doing the SYE is not a necessity in your situation, but probably a good idea. If you don't have any other more important projects to tackle, it's a good one to take on.

i didnt have any vibes with a 2.5 in lift and no tcase drop. i had to do a tcase drop after the 4 in with no sye but thats all.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also, I have a question about your 31" tires. I am planning on purchasing a set of BFG 31x10.50 AT's when my 29's wear out some more.

Did you experience any significant loss in power or mpg's with the 31's? Your rig is pretty close to mine as far as mods go, so I'm curious to hear what, if any, issues you had relating to the move up to a 31x10.50 tire.

Thanks,
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
i didnt have any vibes with a 2.5 in lift and no tcase drop. i had to do a tcase drop after the 4 in with no sye but thats all.
I think every Jeep is a little different from the experiences I've read on here. Some people need one, and some don't. If you don't have vibes, then it's probably not a big issue.

I went ahead and went with the SYE because I plan on keeping my Jeep for a long time and I was getting some slight vibes. I also like the fact that I went ahead and addressed one of the weak spots in my YJ's drive train. I'm planning on doing a 8.8 swap later on down the road to take care of the other weak link.

My Jeep is my DD and I figure getting a SYE is cheaper than fixing my undercarriage after a drive shaft flails around under there on the highway.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think every Jeep is a little different from the experiences I've read on here. Some people need one, and some don't. If you don't have vibes, then it's probably not a big issue.

I went ahead and went with the SYE because I plan on keeping my Jeep for a long time and I was getting some slight vibes. I also like the fact that I went ahead and addressed one of the weak spots in my YJ's drive train. I'm planning on doing a 8.8 swap later on down the road to take care of the other weak link.

My Jeep is my DD and I figure getting a SYE is cheaper than fixing my undercarriage after a drive shaft flails around under there on the highway.
you will have to get a new rear shaft or at least get yours cut down after a 8.8 swap. i ended up getting a whole noew one and this was about 6 months after the i did the sye.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
aoudad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, I have a question about your 31" tires. I am planning on purchasing a set of BFG 31x10.50 AT's when my 29's wear out some more.

Did you experience any significant loss in power or mpg's with the 31's? Your rig is pretty close to mine as far as mods go, so I'm curious to hear what, if any, issues you had relating to the move up to a 31x10.50 tire.

Thanks,
Through 3rd its still fine, getting in 4th and 5th on the HWY, its noticable slower getting up to speed, but not too bad, I havent checked the MGP, did the lift on a full tank last Sat., so Ill check it in a week or so. I dont think I should loose more than 1-2 MPG. I had a 6" lift on a IH Scout II on 33's, so any MPG is going to be better than it was lol
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
r7069c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

LOL. Look at all the tools everywhere! I can't wait to put my lift on. Nice clean garage by the way. I live in the Hill Country too. (Austin)
First Day Home

Three weeks later

Just waiting on the weather to paint and my income tax return to buy the lift.
r7069c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
you will have to get a new rear shaft or at least get yours cut down after a 8.8 swap. i ended up getting a whole noew one and this was about 6 months after the i did the sye.
It's kind of a given when you look at a D35 compared to an 8.8. I am planning on sending mine back to TW when I do swap in a 8.8. But the way things look now, it's probably not going to happen for couple of years, so it's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoudad View Post
Through 3rd its still fine, getting in 4th and 5th on the HWY, its noticable slower getting up to speed, but not too bad, I havent checked the MGP, did the lift on a full tank last Sat., so Ill check it in a week or so. I dont think I should loose more than 1-2 MPG. I had a 6" lift on a IH Scout II on 33's, so any MPG is going to be better than it was lol
Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I expected to be the case. I had an Isuzu Amigo that I lifted and put 32's on. It pretty much lost 5th gear and about 5 mpg's, so it doesn't sound like it will be that bad .
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

[QUOTE=aoudad;8640824]Bought this YJ at the end of Sept. for crawling around the TX hill country and in NM.

Ive replaced the cooling system, new Optima yellow top, Brown Dog MM, RE 2.5" lift with RE 5" greasable shackles, MT signature classicII wheels, 31"x10.5" MTR kevlars, Smitty XRC8 comp winch, Smitty SRC rear bumper, new rotors/pads, few things on the interior..... Next is a SYE for the TC and drive shaft.

Quote :

Looks good ! I wish i would have waited before i bought mine to get a Sahara .
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.