new here just bought a 95 wrangler yj rio grande - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new here just bought a 95 wrangler yj rio grande

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

new here just bought a 95 wrangler yj rio grande

Its got the 2.5 4cyl and its a automatic. 4 wheel drive works. Thats about what I know about it....... Engine has a knock. It goes away when I put the car in drive or apply the gas?????? Oil pressure only goes to about a quarter on the gauge. yes Im planning on a oil pump. I have plans to go through this entire jeep. It has 120k. Now the knock a lifter maybe??? The other thing is when I shift into drive and have the brake applied she stalls sometimes or trys too. Im not use to these automatic transmissions. My last wrangler had a 5 speed. I loved it. This automatic shifts hard it feels like it goes from first to third. Opinions??? I also require a front drivers fender. The frame is perfect. No rust at all. Thats why I got it. I plan on tearing this thing down to nothing and rebuilding it the way I like it. Any help with the current issues and tips for the future would be appreciated. Thank you

sam_6049.jpg   sam_6050.jpg   sam_6051.jpg   sam_6052.jpg  
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. It'll be interesting to see what you do it over time. :-)

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum! Here is a good place to start with the stall:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/

Isolate down the knock to upper or lower engine. You can find it easier by using an extension or a small PVC tube and put it to your ear.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Hmm I got a 12 33 55. 55 in my zj means end. but the link doesnt have a 12 or 33
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

ok so 33 is an a/c I dont have. 12 is recent battery disconnect. 55 is end of codes. From what I have researched. So Im all good in the eyes of the comp. Thanks for the help guys. Im going to go try to pinpoint the knock. I will post when I find it.
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Okay sounds like the noise is coming from the top near one of the exhaust valves in the head. Im not sure if its echoing but I can hear it in the oil pan as well. What are the possibility's? I only want to tear apart this engine once. I had planned on the lifters. although Im going to check the push rods and springs while im in there. But im kind of worried because like I said the oil pressure is pretty low. I wonder how long it was driven like that. The oil is fresh so I cant tell anything by looking at the oil. clear exhaust though.
It was so hard to pinpoint the noise because the engine is so tiny.
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
SimplyTron
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is the noise coming more from the front or rear of the engine? If it comes from the front then to me it sounds like you're describing a stretched/worn out timing chain. Especially since it goes away when you throttle up.
SimplyTron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Heres a video of the knock.
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

And another from under the jeep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEG0U...ature=youtu.be
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can hear the rocker noise. But the other noise sounds way too deep to be from the rockers/valves. I am not sure.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and i would check for a vacuum line cracked or broken for hte dying when you put it in gear. might be something as simple as that

minus the fender issue, nice looking jeep
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Well the dying when put into drive feels a lot like when your in a five speed and you try to take off without the gas on the pedal. That and the taking a Hugh amount of time to shift from first with a hard kick and whining. Im guessing transmission and or torque converter. But that knock I cant seem to decide on. I was thinking lifter or timing chain but your right it is deep. Its so hard to pinpoint like I said above because im use to v8s and this thing is tiny. Thanks again
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Lol foot on the gas*
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Well or stopping in gear
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
XOFMOT
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My friends 95 Auto did the same. Felt like it missed second gear and would stall engine right out when put in gear and foot on brake...He just droped the pan and changed oil and filter...ran great after that for the past 3 years!!

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Here's my 95 RIO GRANDE 4cyl Auto!

1981 CJ7 Chevy 350, Trans Am Shaker Hood, stock suspension, 31" tires
XOFMOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
knock , oil , pressure , shift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.