New Headgasket Overheating! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Headgasket Overheating!

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #31
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah we got a little off track there. i just didn't want te guy to go try to start twistin his distributor cap only to find out it can only be fastened in one position. like i said i'm not 100% sure on that one since it has been a while since my last handling of a 4.0l dist. however i am fairly certain that the hold down tab for the dist is solidly fastened to the shaft of the distributor.

EDIT:
i see what you were meaning by mechanical timing now. i thought you were referring to the old method of twisting the dist cap. apologies for the misunderstanding. but like i said before if nothing was removed from the cam or crank then there should be no possible way the timing has been affected.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #32
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would stick with trying a new t-stat first. It may not be opening all the way. Besides 4$ is cheap insurance.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #33
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Looks like he solved it with the thermostat removal to me. Just doesn't want to believe his results.

The heater core is on a parallel loop. So it can't plug any coolant flow.

Changing the cam/crank timing isn't going to have the same effect changing spark advance does. It will change the fuel injection and valve opening window, but not spark event timing. Jumping a whole tooth would make it run like crap and misfire. If it didn't punch a hole in the timing cover after eating the tensioner.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
Nic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am actually on my third thermostat so I am also alittle bit confused. I replaced it with a NAPA one yesterday that looked like a slightly different design (still 195*) but had the same results. I threw my old one into some boiling water and it did open. I am not sure just how far it is supposed to open, it didnt like to much though. I dont know what the odds are of me getting 3 bad tstats. And the heater core blows pretty hot and there isnt any leaking or anything. I have considered timing aswell, I had the cylinder head machined so it is ever so slightly shorter now. Not sure that it would make such a differance as to cause this much overheating though. Is there a different temperature tstat I should be trying? Or manufacuter? Thanks for all the help. Cheers
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #35
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Spring installed toward the block right?

1 it doesn't overheat when the tstat is out
2 it doesn't flow coolant with the tstat in

What about that leads you to timing?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

get the timing idea out of your head. there is no way that's the issue. there would be extremely worse conditions like monkey said if that was the case.

having the head planed a little won't increase your temp. if you had said you had the cylinders all bored then i would say that could be a cause for higher than normal temps.

i would try to keep burping the system in the manner posted before here... sometimes it takes more than one burp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
. An easy way I found to burp the system is fill the over flow then fill the block through the thermostat housing and then fill through the top rad hose. Run the engine to operating temp with the cap off toping off the rad as neccasary. Keep the rad filled to the bottom of the hole for the cap and squeeze the top hose periodically while the engine is warming. Has worked several times without fail for me.
also ...
please don't take this as an insult...
are you putting the thermostat upside down?

the larger portion of the t-stat goes down into the block.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also is your cooling system clean. If it is cruddy that could mess up 3 thermostats in a row. What about the water pump? If the fins on it are worn it would give reduced flow with the t-stat in and higher flow without it. Cant remember if you replaced\checked it or not. If you replaced it was it with the correct reverse rotation pump? Also you need another way to reliably check the temp since we dont know if your new gauge is accurate.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #38
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the others at this point about Timing. Its not the timing that has been ruled out by the working with no t-stat part. Its time to focus on the t-stat. That is the common denominator.

Unread 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #39
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

siva just gave me an idea from his last post.

did you put your serpentine belt on correctly? it is possible to put it on wrong which can result in certain accessories, water pump, running backwards. this could definitely cause the issue you are having.

check your fan, if it is blowing air out through the grill of your jeep, you did something wrong last time you had the belt off.

Unread 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #40
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
siva just gave me an idea from his last post.
I aim to please.

Unread 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #41
Nic
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the belt is taking the correct route. Actually had it wrong at first because the PO had a very interesting but incorrect route that worked somehow. And I replaced the rad hoses when I was doing the headgasket and flushed the system with a hose so hopefully it is clean. And yes, the thermostat is in the correct way
I talked to some guys at Ford and came to the conclusion that the engine is still airlocked somehow. A tech there has a bit of experience with Jeeps and sais they are brutal to get all the air out of system. So I am going to bring it there and use a pressurized filler to make sure theres no air in the system. Thanks for all the help guys!
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #42
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you filling the system with the engine running? I always start the engine and fill it while it is running from the top hose on the RAD. I fill the overflow and I fill the block through where the T-Stat goes before starting it though. I have done half a dozen with no problem. When it seems filled the engine will heat up almost to the red and then suddenly the level drops and it starts flowing and I top it off. You can temporarily disconnect the hose from the head to the heater core also. It is a high spot so its hard to get air out of that area. Disconnecting the one hose allows the air to escape. Once the air is gone though it will shoot fluid out of the hose sometimes with amazing pressure so be ready to shut it down quick

Tags
coolant , coolant flow , engine , head gasket , over heating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.