NEW GUY! Question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NEW GUY! Question...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-02-2002, 10:29 PM   #1
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

NEW GUY! Question...

Hello, Im the new guy in town. I am 14 years old and Im getting my first car soon. I have a 93' Jeep YJ 6CYL picked out for $5500. I was wondering what some good parts and things are.

Here is what Im thinking about...

TIRES:-

35" BFG Mud-Terrain KO/A (Whatever)
or..
35" Goodyear MT/R

LIFT:-

What is a good brand for lift kits and body lifts? I plan on getting a 3-4" lift and a 3" body lift. (Will that nicely fit a 35" tire w/out rubbing on rocks/bumps?

LIGHTS:-
What is a good brand for lights? LOL.

BUMPERS/BRUSHGUARDS:-

I think im looking at the tube bumpers with a hoop that I can put a winch and 2 fog lights on. Any suggestions?

FENDERFLARES:-

Xenon 6" TJ flares for YJ sounds good to me

TOPS:-

Looking at the Targa Tops (the one where you can take out the center part.)

PS: If you have any pictures of a Jeep similar to this one. E_mail me or post a link here...

PSP: Im looking to buy at this site. www.4wheelparts.com

THANKS

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2002, 11:27 PM   #2
NOVA Jeeper56

You have some good plans in mind for that jeep. I think it will be nice. You can check out my setup at www.apmracing.net
then go to members then mike f
NOVA Jeeper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2002, 11:29 PM   #3
StudTJ

woah man..where are u gonna get all that money, and where do u live where they let you drive at 14 years old?..im 16 and i got my first jeep, and im struggling to get money for mods!
Unread 03-03-2002, 12:30 AM   #4
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

93's a good year. Actually anything 91'+ is a good buy. 95's are considered the best though. Only problem area to be aware of is the clutch. The slave cylinders are prone to leaking. Hopefully, it's been replace already.

I'd consider 33's instead of 35's. You'll be looking at re-gearing for sure with 35's. And if you go with lockers and what not then you'll want to replace the rear axle while you're at it. 33's are a safer bet. I'f forget the 3" bodylift and go with as much suspension as you can. 4.5" from Rubicon Express is a good lift kit. Otherwhile you might consider going Spring-Over. But that's a lot more research and will probably cost a lot more especially if you have to have someone else weld for you. Consider a SYE kit and a CV driveshaft. That's going to bump the price up. Higher the lift, the more problems you run into. This is especially the case with YJ's and their short rear driveshafts. Typically, once you can clear 33's it's only a 1" body lift and some ferder cutting to clear 35's.

A winch doesn't attach to the bumper on a YJ usually. It sits in front of the grill and behind the bumper. Just about any bumper you get could have lights mounted to it. Going with TJ flares will give you about 2" clearance over a YJ, so that's a good choise. Besure to trim the sheetmetal to take advantage of them.

Personally, I don't like Steelhorse since much of the stuff they sell is crap. They don't check quality from the smaller shops that actually make the stuff so they get blamed with the bad reputation. I'd consider getting a OEM top with full doors. I had a Sierra top and it leaked after a few years. Wuality wasn't that great either. I might look at Bestop's Targa top though. I would think that they have better quality. I'd call around to see who has the best prices for this stuff. I'm sure you'll have to order from a few different places. If you order from 4Wheel Parts besure to call their main store in CA and not order online. Their online prices are MSRP. Also they have a 10% discount if you become a perfered customer. You get it free if you spend over $1000 or it's $100 otherwise. Also get some price quotes before calling 4WPW. They have price matching.

Oh yeah, I'm turning 35's but with some Warn YJ flares. Here's a image of my Jeep.
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:01 AM   #5
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Ok, you guys are quick! Thanks though. I have a question about 33" and 35". Which is reall gonna be better? How big 'really' is a 33" tire? I don't wanna do a WHOLE big project but I do wanna change alot of stuff.

I don't want it to rub but I don't want it that high because of the trails ill be going on. (I live in UTAH, you can't drive till your 16 btw, Im getting this Jeep for my Eagle award to work on for a year or so untill I start driving.)... Ok back to the subject. I live fairly close ot Moab and I plan on going there 'ALOT'. So, I don't want to flip over on say elephant hill if any of you have been there. I think smaller tires would be ok and I might still want to go with 35" if I decide after. So my question is, What is the biggest tire I can fit on the smallest lift? Also, are there any other good off-road sites to buy from that are as cheap as 4WParts?

PS: here is the car im looking at... http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=87944727&dealer_id=&certified =n&max_price=5500&start_year=1993&end_year=2002&ad dress=84058&search_type=used&make=JEEP& model=

Unread 03-03-2002, 10:15 AM   #6
AllanAlxndr

Quote:
Originally posted by StudTJ:
woah man..where are u gonna get all that money, and where do u live where they let you drive at 14 years old?..im 16 and i got my first jeep, and im struggling to get money for mods!
That makes two of us...

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 01:46 PM   #7
SBall

Id get the 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, some 33" Goodyear MTR's(I love these tires, they are awesome), and buy a set of axles from 4 cylinder jeep. This will solve your lift, tire and gearing problems. You will have great amounts of flex and with 4.10 gears, you will have plenty of power and a good crawl ratio. If you ever go up to 35's, you can add a 1" body lift and get some TJ fender flares. I have 6 cyl 5 speed with 35" MTR's and 4.11 gears(yes, i got these axles out of a 4 cyl YJ) and have full use of 5th gear, even up hills. Plus I can go slowly on the trail.
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:35 PM   #8
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Who's buying your Jeep?

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:51 PM   #9
geepYJ95

Quote:
and buy a set of axles from 4 cylinder jeep. This will solve your lift, tire and gearing problems.
how does this solve the problem? is it because the 4 cylinders are used to running higher rpms or something? and that if you got bigger tires the axles would spin faster?
[B]Green Jeep Club Member #14[/B]

'95 YJ Sahara Edition, green w/ tan hard and soft tops, Flowmaster 40 series, New cat, 2 10"eclipse subs, pioneer cd deck, and Xtant A series 6001 amp.
geepYJ95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 10:20 PM   #10
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Here is a 'guesstimate' of my Jeeps cost. (I have 10000 to spend, including the Jeep itself)

Here is the link: HTTP://WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/SPEEDCUSTOMS

Also there is a Picture of the Jeep how it is in the lot right now. (I SURE HOPE IT DOESN'T SELL BEFORE I BUY IT!)

Tell me if anything there is good or bad...

THANKS!!!

Unread 03-04-2002, 01:14 PM   #11
bobznew

Quote:
Originally posted by SPEED:
Ok, you guys are quick! Thanks though. I have a question about 33" and 35". Which is reall gonna be better? How big 'really' is a 33" tire? I don't wanna do a WHOLE big project but I do wanna change alot of stuff.

I don't want it to rub but I don't want it that high because of the trails ill be going on. (I live in UTAH, you can't drive till your 16 btw, Im getting this Jeep for my Eagle award to work on for a year or so untill I start driving.)... Ok back to the subject. I live fairly close ot Moab and I plan on going there 'ALOT'. So, I don't want to flip over on say elephant hill if any of you have been there. I think smaller tires would be ok and I might still want to go with 35" if I decide after. So my question is, What is the biggest tire I can fit on the smallest lift? Also, are there any other good off-road sites to buy from that are as cheap as 4WParts?

PS: here is the car im looking at... http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...ke=JEEP&model=
See my sig line; my setup is perfect, and there's no rubbing at all. The boomerang shackles make a HUGE difference. Also, the BDS suspension lift is listed at 3.5", but that's conservative. I think it's a little more like 4-4.5".

33's are pretty darn big, unless you're considering some major off-road applications. Anything higher and bigger than what I've got, and you'll have to go SOA (spring-over-axle), as well as probably getting some sort of SYE(slip-yoke-eliminator). Also, contrary to what most folks say, you CAN run 33's on your stock gears. Yeah, it's a little sluggish, but I do it everyday. Just use low range more often.

HTH

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.