New Guy-New project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Guy-New project

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
cherokeeblack

New Guy-New project

Hey all. This is my first post, so bare with me. My cousin has a 1994 YJ, 4.0-6, manual. It's stock except for the super high performance K+N air filter (i know, i know). I'm thinking about buying it for a winter project, but it needs a lot of work. Here's just a taste of its problems: unknown coolant leak/overheating, Suspension is bottomed out all around due to bent leafs, the 12 year old soft top is shot to say the least, driver's side floorpan is rusted through, 3 of the four tires are flat/slow leaking, throttle cable sticks wide open. Body is decent also. Other than that, to my knowledge there aren't any serious flaws. So here's my question(s): Is a 94 worth putting a couple grand into? And from this description, what do you think a good asking price would be? He mentioned $1500 awhile ago, but I dont have experience buying Wranglers. Input is appreciated.

cherokeeblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like a fair price for a 94 4.0.......
with the problems you listed, it will take some time, think i'd go ahead a yank the motor and go thru it, then you know where you stand as far as the sticky cable , overheating etc etc goes.
for that price, you can expect a kinda beater, but i'd go for it...
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Neener Neener
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't give more than a grand.

[QUOTE=Al The Killer]My monkey likes your monkey[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Grape Ape] Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge. [/QUOTE]

[url]www.immigrationcounters.com[/url]
Neener Neener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i guess 4.0 yj's are cheaper down south then...

i have seen non runners sell for 1500 in the midwest....but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

ultimately its upto you. price the parts you know it needs, then the parts you think it needs and compare that amount plus the purchase price and compare to others....
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
theboxman71
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got a 94 YJ 4.0L spent 4000 Canadian on it...and it's rusted to crap, I'm rebuilding it frame up....
If u got a couple of grand to put in it, go for it!!!
Check my thread, you'll see what yer up against!!!
copy-3-dscf0022.jpg  
theboxman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
BoogerYJ

I would pay that in a minute. In my area you can't find a 4.0 for that price in any condition. I went to Pensylvania to pay $4000.00 for one in decent shape with a 4.0 and auto. Took me 26 hours to make the trip.
93 Wrangler YJ 4.0 Automatic Full Width D44 Front With Detroit Locker, 9" Ford Rear With Spool, 5.13 Yukon Gears, Advance Adapters SYE, Tom Woods Rear Shaft, SOA with Rustys 3.5" Springs, 4 Wheel Discs, Warn Premium Hubs, 12.5x36 TSL's on Black Crawler Wheels, Warn M8000 Winch, Homemade Flat Fenders, M.O.R.E. Track Bar
[COLOR="Red"]Will Flip For Beer[/COLOR]

Daily driver-2005 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 Cummins 6spd. 4x4, Edge/Attitude, Fresh air by AFE, Exiting through MBRP, Ranchhand Front Bumper, 12.50x33x17 Mickey Thompson MTZ
BoogerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
cherokeeblack

Thanks for the input. I've been pricing out parts that are needed and stuff, and Im sure that i can get a good deal for it because after all, it's coming from family. One thing I do know about Jeeps is that you can spend a little, or A LOT of $$, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Thanks again
cherokeeblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.